PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > General Windows Mobile Discussions
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-19-2006, 04:13 PM
Moderator/WMExperts Staff
Pocket PC: Pure, TP2, Snap, Ozone, Intrepid,Treo Pro
Carrier: Sprint

Malatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Speed up Your Internet! Change your DNS (Any PPC or Home PC)

UPDATE: In addition to this trick, go ahead and try THIS MORE ADVANCED Reg Trick (Increase "Maximum number of concurrent connections") to further maximize your Web surfing on any PPC.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is a neat little trick. Basically it improves the speed at which the DNS of the webpage you are seeking is retrieved. It does NOT increase bandwidth speed, just DNS lookup. End result is a faster browsing experience since your pages are "found faster".

- From the Start Menu, select 'Settings', then select the 'Connections' tab
- Select the 'Connections' option
- Select 'Manage Existing Connections' option
- Highlight your main Internet connection, and click edit (Power Vision)
- Click 'Edit'
- Click 'Next'
- Click 'Next' (do not touch these settings!)
- Click 'Advanced', do not touch your User Name/Password

Now select 'Servers' Tab

- Use specfic server address

Enter in:

DNS: 208.67.222.222

Alt DNS: 208.67.220.220

(alternatives

DNS: 4.2.2.1
Alt DNS: 4.2.2.2

- 'OK'
- 'Finish'
- 'OK'

You should see your data connection restart. I like to soft-reset after this, JIK.

Enjoy faster browsing!

Old 10-19-2006, 05:34 PM
Founder & Owner
Pocket PC: iPhone XS Max

Wideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to Wideawake
I see a slight increase at the house on 1x with 1 bar. Anyways thanks for posting this find!
~mike

ps yea its going Global!

Old 10-19-2006, 09:37 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Treo pro Soon to be Touch pro 2

remlle is becoming a great contributor
Send a message via ICQ to remlle Send a message via AIM to remlle Send a message via Yahoo to remlle
where did you get these DNS IPs. I noticed they are GTEI internet DNS. GTE on of the backbone providers but why use them over any other DNS. I dont think this matters what dns you use. but well see. Im going to try my dns servers I Run as well as some SBC dsl run
Old 10-19-2006, 09:41 PM
Founder & Owner

Wideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributions
ur know more about hostin and dns servers then me......please feel us in...
Old 10-19-2006, 11:34 PM
Threadstarter

Malatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Quote:
Originally Posted by remlle
where did you get these DNS IPs. I noticed they are GTEI internet DNS. GTE on of the backbone providers but why use them over any other DNS. I dont think this matters what dns you use. but well see. Im going to try my dns servers I Run as well as some SBC dsl run
Well, not all DNS servers are the same. If they were, we'd just stick with Sprint's.

Simply put the more capacity/less traffic (or at least a high ratio between those two variables) will allow faster DNS lookups. Location and quality of the servers also matter, though probably less so.

Those servers are actually Level 3 servers based in CO and were recommended by DSLReports.

I assure you, it DOES matter what DNS you use and there is a huge improvement over Sprint's DNS servers. It only takes a minute of web browsing to notice the difference.

Technically, we should be able to measure the latency and possibly see a difference in performance between DNS servers that way.
Old 10-19-2006, 11:44 PM
Founder & Owner

So would it be better if I was to use a DNS server located closer to me? Or stick with the orginal settings u posted?
Old 10-19-2006, 11:50 PM
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wideawake
So would it be better if I was to use a DNS server located closer to me? Or stick with the orginal settings u posted?
It's possible. It depends on the capacity/traffic of that server as well.

Your best bet is to just try it out and see how it feels. Or use something like DSLReports which I believe shows latency and compare and contrast the two for emprircal results.

Edit: Here is a large list, including US, of public DNS Servers.

I'm using 170.215.255.114 for NY now and is working well. I didn't measure latency though, just eyeballing it. All I know since I did this trick is surfing on EvDO is literally instant now (as far as finding/connnecting websites).
Old 10-20-2006, 12:04 AM
The Voice of Reason
Pocket PC: PPC 6700/Touch Diamond/Touch Pro

Big D5 is halfway to VIP status based on repBig D5 is halfway to VIP status based on repBig D5 is halfway to VIP status based on repBig D5 is halfway to VIP status based on repBig D5 is halfway to VIP status based on repBig D5 is halfway to VIP status based on repBig D5 is halfway to VIP status based on repBig D5 is halfway to VIP status based on repBig D5 is halfway to VIP status based on repBig D5 is halfway to VIP status based on repBig D5 is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Thats it I have read this as well capacity/traffic thats what it boils down to. I am using the new settings and I can really see the difference thanks Mala.
“It is from numberless diverse acts of courage and belief that human history is shaped. Each time a man stands up for an ideal, or acts to improve the lot of others, or strikes out against injustice, he sends forth a tiny ripple of hope.”

Robert Kennedy

Ha y'all come visit me at WMExperts some time.
Old 10-20-2006, 12:07 AM
Founder & Owner

Using the one for Charlotte NC and it seems to be working ok...I gotta do some comparisions.
Old 10-20-2006, 12:14 AM
The Voice of Reason
Pocket PC: PPC 6700/Touch Diamond/Touch Pro

Big D5 is halfway to VIP status based on repBig D5 is halfway to VIP status based on repBig D5 is halfway to VIP status based on repBig D5 is halfway to VIP status based on repBig D5 is halfway to VIP status based on repBig D5 is halfway to VIP status based on repBig D5 is halfway to VIP status based on repBig D5 is halfway to VIP status based on repBig D5 is halfway to VIP status based on repBig D5 is halfway to VIP status based on repBig D5 is halfway to VIP status based on rep
I am going to stay with this one for know I am in California today but I am going to Dallas tomorrow so I will do some comparing along the way. I stop in Vegas WOOHOO if I can stop gambling long enough I will check there to.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > General Windows Mobile Discussions