PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > General Windows Mobile Discussions
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-26-2009, 04:24 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro
Carrier: sprint
Threadstarter

zepsamsung is becoming a PPCGeeks regularzepsamsung is becoming a PPCGeeks regularzepsamsung is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Bigger Phones, Kind Of Backwards

Quote:
Originally Posted by esqueue View Post
These screens do not rely on any time of moisture or the human body in anyway. They work off of pressure. You are mixing it up with the iphone and palm pre's screens which will not work with extremely dry fingers.
I own the Touch Pro and know for a fact that when my finger are realy dry the screen does not react as well as when they are moist. Unless you suffer from my same condition, how would you know if my screen on any of my phones work by just touch? I have brought the issue up with Sprint and they said it has a lot to do with my dry fingers. I can not use most touch screen devices without using a lot of pressure.
Old 05-26-2009, 04:32 PM
Ship Jumper
Pocket PC: EVO 4G, EVO 3D & GALAXY S 2
Carrier: The Now Network

BRIVERS73 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPBRIVERS73 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPBRIVERS73 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPBRIVERS73 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPBRIVERS73 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPBRIVERS73 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPBRIVERS73 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPBRIVERS73 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPBRIVERS73 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPBRIVERS73 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPBRIVERS73 is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ou2mame View Post
this is not the type of phone you bring hiking with you. actually, its the type of phone you bring to the office with you. these phones are for professionals, and people who need technology. get a netbook? why carry two devices? i got the tp so i don't have to lug my laptop around to work on excel docs and ftp docs. backwards? i have all the basic functionality of a notebook in my pocket, which a phone built into it as well. thats not backwards, thats extremely forward.

i mean, if you don't like it, don't get it. but its not obsolete technology, you're just looking at it like its a phone or something. its not a phone, its a pda with a cellular network capabilities. if you need a "phone", get a "phone". the people who buy these need more than just a phone. they still make small and capable phones, and i don't think thats going to end anytime soon so there's nothing to worry about.

i don't understand the need for sweat on a touch screen... the stylus is just plastic? but i dunno, i'm not an expert in that area. I understand the touch sensitive buttons like call and end not working though, that makes sense. and trust me, atm screens don't work for anybody lol

i don't know what you're looking for either... i don't get the point of this thread. if you want a smartphone that has buttons, look at the palms. if you want one that doesn't, try htc? you want a pda phone that has a number pad? just open the phone, there's buttons right there. but yeah, if you broke the screen the phone prob wouldn't work, but then again, you probably shouldn't be bringing a touch screen phone into the woods if you plan on being so far away, and alone, that it could possibly be the end of your life if it broke. i don't even bring this phone to the beach, nevermind mountain climbing.
Nicely stated....
Old 05-26-2009, 04:39 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: iPhone
Carrier: AT&T

zim2323 is keeping up the good workzim2323 is keeping up the good workzim2323 is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by zepsamsung View Post
I own the Touch Pro and know for a fact that when my finger are realy dry the screen does not react as well as when they are moist. Unless you suffer from my same condition, how would you know if my screen on any of my phones work by just touch? I have brought the issue up with Sprint and they said it has a lot to do with my dry fingers. I can not use most touch screen devices without using a lot of pressure.

I'm gonna' call BULL**** on this one. So how does the STYLUS work then?????? Um yeah... not gonna' get around that one, because I doubt the stylus "sweats". I understand you wanna' seem important and thoughtful, but whoever you talked to at Sprint, is exactly why I can't stand Customer Service people. They have no ****in' clue what they are talking about. LOL
Old 05-26-2009, 04:53 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Mogul > TP1 > TP2 > Arrive > SGS3 > SGS4 > LG G4
Carrier: Sprint

esqueue knows their stuffesqueue knows their stuffesqueue knows their stuffesqueue knows their stuffesqueue knows their stuffesqueue knows their stuff
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Re: Bigger Phones, Kind Of Back-wards

Quote:
You are correct, I don't have your condition and don't know how it reacts for you. I do not think that you are lying when you say that it works better for you when your fingers are moist.

What I commented on what the statement you made where you said "Because touch screens do not react well with super dry skin". That it 100% false. I think that there is another reason why it doesn't work for you.

The touch screen has nothing to do with moisture, body heat and temperature. That is the fact.

I've just put on some nitrile gloves and can still navigate very well. I've simulated a situation where my fingertips are in the same or worse condition than yours.

Either way I will end this as I don't want to destroy your thread or turn this into something negative.

Last edited by esqueue; 05-26-2009 at 04:57 PM.
Old 05-26-2009, 06:15 PM
j_j
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro

j_j is keeping up the good workj_j is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by ou2mame View Post
this is not the type of phone you bring hiking with you. actually, its the type of phone you bring to the office with you. these phones are for professionals, and people who need technology. get a netbook? why carry two devices? i got the tp so i don't have to lug my laptop around to work on excel docs and ftp docs. backwards? i have all the basic functionality of a notebook in my pocket, which a phone built into it as well. thats not backwards, thats extremely forward.

i mean, if you don't like it, don't get it. but its not obsolete technology, you're just looking at it like its a phone or something. its not a phone, its a pda with a cellular network capabilities. if you need a "phone", get a "phone". the people who buy these need more than just a phone. they still make small and capable phones, and i don't think thats going to end anytime soon so there's nothing to worry about.

i don't understand the need for sweat on a touch screen... the stylus is just plastic? but i dunno, i'm not an expert in that area. I understand the touch sensitive buttons like call and end not working though, that makes sense. and trust me, atm screens don't work for anybody lol

i don't know what you're looking for either... i don't get the point of this thread. if you want a smartphone that has buttons, look at the palms. if you want one that doesn't, try htc? you want a pda phone that has a number pad? just open the phone, there's buttons right there. but yeah, if you broke the screen the phone prob wouldn't work, but then again, you probably shouldn't be bringing a touch screen phone into the woods if you plan on being so far away, and alone, that it could possibly be the end of your life if it broke. i don't even bring this phone to the beach, nevermind mountain climbing.
No SIR I bring this phone with me hiking(GPS), fishing, tubing, to the beach, to school, to work. Heck i took a video of riding top gun with it. I have the 3000mah extended battery so i don't have to change the battery(so often). I watch the daily show, movies, surf internet, i wrote an essay on it once lol. I once made a phone call after my tp took a bullet. (ok i made that last part up) The only babying this thing gets is a ziplock bag and its still good to go. But in agreement this technology is moving forward
Old 05-27-2009, 11:02 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro
Carrier: sprint
Threadstarter

zepsamsung is becoming a PPCGeeks regularzepsamsung is becoming a PPCGeeks regularzepsamsung is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Okay, here is how my left hand which has no sweat works, if I slide it on the screen I have to apply a lot more pressure than my right hand. If I remove the screen protector this problem is much less than with it on. My right finger with the same pressure works great. Using gloves will not recreate not sweating because gloves have grip and are not the same as a finger tip without sweat glads.
Old 05-27-2009, 11:27 AM
Knowledge Is True Opinion
Pocket PC: iPhone 4S
Carrier: Vzw

Carla is a trusted member of the communityCarla is a trusted member of the communityCarla is a trusted member of the communityCarla is a trusted member of the communityCarla is a trusted member of the communityCarla is a trusted member of the communityCarla is a trusted member of the communityCarla is a trusted member of the communityCarla is a trusted member of the communityCarla is a trusted member of the communityCarla is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to Carla

Quote:
Because touch screens do not react well with super dry skin. I can't use an atm well because of dry finger tips. Also can't grip cardboard or paper, glass is the worst to grip.
My fingers are dry, my hands don't sweat unless I am outside doing something physical, and I never have an issue with my screen, ever. Just me though I guess

zepsamsung, I flew by your post kinda fast at first, and your signature made me think I had buggies on the screen LOL, I almost got really freaked out
Old 05-27-2009, 03:03 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: iPhone
Carrier: AT&T

zim2323 is keeping up the good workzim2323 is keeping up the good workzim2323 is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Okay, here is how my left hand which has no sweat works, if I slide it on the screen I have to apply a lot more pressure than my right hand. If I remove the screen protector this problem is much less than with it on. My right finger with the same pressure works great. Using gloves will not recreate not sweating because gloves have grip and are not the same as a finger tip without sweat glads.
Soooooo....does the stylus sweat? NO it doesn't. You're dreaming this up. I can roll a piece of paper into a point and use it on my phone with the same ability as stylus or my fingers. I can put on gloves and use it the same as with my fingers.

First thing to remember is that Sprint's sensitivity is much less then Verizon's (what I have). I would gather that your left hand is just weaker in some way and you just don't realize it. It's time to start doing some "man work" to get some strength in that puppy. I would recommend some lube since your hands are dry.

Honestly, can someone close this thread. This is ridiculous.
Old 05-29-2009, 07:59 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: Touch (Vogue)

miamicanes is a n00b

> this is not the type of phone you bring hiking with you.

Unfortunately, until Congress tells the FCC to force Sprint and Verizon to allow R-UIM cards, it WILL be the type of phone you take when you go hiking. Or to the beach. Or (shudder) on a canoe trip. Because there IS NO easy way to temporarily substitute a cheap phone bought for $10 on eBay (or use your old phone) in situations where your phone would be in unusual danger of damage or destruction.

It's even worse than requiring a call to "Customer Care" -- with Sprint (and presumably Verizon), you can't even temporarily activate an old phone with previous version of EV-DO (or no EV-DO) without screwing up your plan settings. Their system literally won't allow you to activate a first-gen EV-DO phone on a second-gen EV-DO plan (or a 1XRTT phone on an EV-DO plan). I know, because I tried doing it the last time my phone got destroyed to avoid being without a phone for a weekend and a day.

As for buttons, that's why I'm sitting out the current generation of new phones. It's bad enough HTC seems to have all but banished more than a single discrete button (yuck... if I wanted a single-button iSlab, I'd buy a real one)... as far as I can tell, the Raph* series doesn't even have a real 5-way navigator. And to think I used to gripe about the Samsung SPH-i300 not having a membrane-bubble numeric keypad on the back of the battery pack as a secondary means of dialing by feel alone... the latest phones make THAT look like the "good old days" when phones HAD more than a single real hardkey...
Old 05-29-2009, 11:06 AM
Jedi Master
Pocket PC: Touch Pro2

Darkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamicanes View Post
> this is not the type of phone you bring hiking with you.

Unfortunately, until Congress tells the FCC to force Sprint and Verizon to allow R-UIM cards, it WILL be the type of phone you take when you go hiking. Or to the beach. Or (shudder) on a canoe trip. Because there IS NO easy way to temporarily substitute a cheap phone bought for $10 on eBay (or use your old phone) in situations where your phone would be in unusual danger of damage or destruction.

It's even worse than requiring a call to "Customer Care" -- with Sprint (and presumably Verizon), you can't even temporarily activate an old phone with previous version of EV-DO (or no EV-DO) without screwing up your plan settings. Their system literally won't allow you to activate a first-gen EV-DO phone on a second-gen EV-DO plan (or a 1XRTT phone on an EV-DO plan). I know, because I tried doing it the last time my phone got destroyed to avoid being without a phone for a weekend and a day.

As for buttons, that's why I'm sitting out the current generation of new phones. It's bad enough HTC seems to have all but banished more than a single discrete button (yuck... if I wanted a single-button iSlab, I'd buy a real one)... as far as I can tell, the Raph* series doesn't even have a real 5-way navigator. And to think I used to gripe about the Samsung SPH-i300 not having a membrane-bubble numeric keypad on the back of the battery pack as a secondary means of dialing by feel alone... the latest phones make THAT look like the "good old days" when phones HAD more than a single real hardkey...
When I had VZW, swapping the phone ESN on my account wasn't too difficult. When I went to live in the UK for a while, I transferred my number to my brothers phone, who used my line while I was gone. I took my PPC to London cause even without the phone function it's still a PPC, hahah

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > General Windows Mobile Discussions