PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > General Windows Mobile Discussions
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-23-2010, 06:59 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro2
Carrier: Verizon

DaddyLongLegs is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: LG Fathom ArcSoft client removal...

Sorry to bump this thread with this but I feel like the only person in the world with this phone...did Verizon lock out the GPS? I can't get Igo8 working for the life of me. Worked fine on my TP2.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 09-24-2010, 06:57 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: LG VS750 (Fathom)
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Walt is becoming a great contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyLongLegs View Post
...did Verizon lock out the GPS?
No. Works just fine with Google Maps, Bing, etc.

You do have the "Location" CDMA Service option in the Phone setup section, set to "Location on", true?
This post has been thanked 2 times.
Old 09-24-2010, 09:06 AM
PPCGeeks Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt View Post
No. Works just fine with Google Maps, Bing, etc.

You do have the "Location" CDMA Service option in the Phone setup section, set to "Location on", true?
I do have that set to on. And yes Google Maps and Bing work just fine. It's just that iGO8 is incredible, and I have maps of every country in the world (I travel a lot). You can see from searching here that iGO8 is very, very popular. For it not to work with the Fathom would be a huge loss.
Old 09-24-2010, 10:05 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

Bahahhaha, it took me 3 days of non-stop research but I figured it out:

Add this to sys.txt:

[device]
type="SGH-i900"

It now works with the Fathom! Hilarious but it works

As a sign of gratitude, if anyone can explain how to get rid of this Arcsoft crap I'd appreciate it greatly. This phone is perfect except for that. The links posted are for removing HTC customizations so I'm not sure why people say it worked for them.
Old 09-28-2010, 01:33 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: LG Fathom VS750

vprasad is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyLongLegs View Post
As a sign of gratitude, if anyone can explain how to get rid of this Arcsoft crap I'd appreciate it greatly. This phone is perfect except for that. The links posted are for removing HTC customizations so I'm not sure why people say it worked for them.
I'm not sure about getting rid of it, but you can make it more tolerable when you upgrade the phone software to VS750ZV5 (from VS750ZV4 which seems to be what was on the phones that were released in June), it will upgrade your ArcSoft Powermobia Message from 5.5.11.34 to 5.5.11.50 which has threaded SMS messaging and fixes the texting to birthdates bug.

The update program can be found here:
LG Official Service
or here:
Mobile Phone Support

The VS750ZV5 update also upgrades from Office Mobile 2007 to Office Mobile 2010.

And yes, the update will completely wipe your phone to a factory state, so back up all your stuff.

Caveat: According to LG, the installer is supposedly temperamental; it worked fine with my first brand new Fathom on my Windows 7 x64 machine.
However, to address a wireless issue (from since I first bought the phone), Verizon replaced it with a Certified Like New phone (2nd Fathom) which does not take the upgrade from either my Windows 7 x64 machine or any of my Windows XP 32-bit machines .
I received my second replacement (my 3rd Fathom so far) yesterday and it also does not take the update from either Win 7 x64 or Win XP 32-bit.
I've seen one other post in the LG Forum to show that perhaps it's an issue with the Certified Like New phones rather than the installer.
I'm thinking perhaps I should have documented some of the hardware identifiers in case these are a specific batch.
Your Mileage May Vary.
This post has been thanked 2 times.
Old 09-30-2010, 06:50 AM
PPCGeeks Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by vprasad View Post
I'm not sure about getting rid of it, but you can make it more tolerable when you upgrade the phone software to VS750ZV5 (from VS750ZV4 which seems to be what was on the phones that were released in June), it will upgrade your ArcSoft Powermobia Message from 5.5.11.34 to 5.5.11.50 which has threaded SMS messaging and fixes the texting to birthdates bug.

The update program can be found here:
LG Official Service
or here:
Mobile Phone Support

The VS750ZV5 update also upgrades from Office Mobile 2007 to Office Mobile 2010.

And yes, the update will completely wipe your phone to a factory state, so back up all your stuff.

Caveat: According to LG, the installer is supposedly temperamental; it worked fine with my first brand new Fathom on my Windows 7 x64 machine.
However, to address a wireless issue (from since I first bought the phone), Verizon replaced it with a Certified Like New phone (2nd Fathom) which does not take the upgrade from either my Windows 7 x64 machine or any of my Windows XP 32-bit machines .
I received my second replacement (my 3rd Fathom so far) yesterday and it also does not take the update from either Win 7 x64 or Win XP 32-bit.
I've seen one other post in the LG Forum to show that perhaps it's an issue with the Certified Like New phones rather than the installer.
I'm thinking perhaps I should have documented some of the hardware identifiers in case these are a specific batch.
Your Mileage May Vary.
Thanks. I already did the update and it is more tolerable, but I'd still rather use the regular SMS. For such a "vanilla" phone without much bloat I'm surprised they put this Arcsoft crap on there.

Anyway, I had the same issue as you updating my phone, and mine is brand new. The program kept constantly saying I had the latest update even though I didn't. Honestly I forgot how I fixed it, I think I plugged and unplugged the phone a thousand times before it took. But it did work, so don't worry. The updater program just sucks.

Lets just hope custom ROMs come out for this phone soon. I don't know why it doesn't; I love everything about the Fathom more than the Touch Pro2 so far. It's so damn fast, there's no lag at all.
Old 10-16-2010, 02:14 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: LG Fathom
Carrier: verizon

eatbuckshot is just getting started

yup i agree, it's much more usable except for it having so little ram

arcsoft is just barely tolerable with it being so slow to start up every time...

i somehow disabled it once i think by doing a spb backup and restore for device upgrade but replace system files too? from tp2 but i'm not sure if that was really what caused it

it some how came back though when i clicked like send a text message via context menu on a contact, or reply on a notification, i can't remember
Old 02-09-2011, 10:45 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: LG Fathom, Palm T|X, MotoQ9c, Jornada 567

pizzaboy192 is keeping up the good workpizzaboy192 is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to pizzaboy192 Send a message via MSN to pizzaboy192 Send a message via Skype™ to pizzaboy192

I might have a solution. I cannot test it on my fathom, yet, but I am wondering if someone else would be willing to.
First: run the two patches found here : http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/lg-fathom/...animation.html
that are for removing the Arcsoft stuff and switching to pOutlook for SMS.

as the thread says: no MMS. This _sounds_ like a problem, but it's the WinMO default to not include an MMS client. Removing Arcsoft from the phone results in you removing the MMS client as well.
So... we need just an MMS client.
Sadly, the only one I know of that works well with 6.5 is an Arcsoft one, but since it's just MMS, it can't be too bad.
I googled "Verizon MMS 6.5 .cab" and found this: imnuts Threaded Verizon ArcSoft MMS 5.2.12.62.cab - 4shared.com - online file sharing and storage - download
If it work, we have "Fixed" the Fathom. If it really works, someone could whip up a .cab file to fix our Fathom woes.

Sorry for such a delayed reply. I must be the last crazy person who hasn't decided that winPhone7 is supposedly better... and has stuck with their fathom.
-pizzaboy192

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > General Windows Mobile Discussions