PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > General Windows Mobile Discussions
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2010, 07:36 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Imagio
Carrier: verizon

jabson is keeping up the good workjabson is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Strange Files

So, I sync and do a file explore from ActiveSync. I find 3 strange files that contain nothing, but I can't delete them because " a file name cannot contain any of the following characters \ / ; * ? " < > " Which is very odd, because these are the names of the files:

???????
????Documents
oc????

So, what is going on? And I cannot find them using Total Commander as well. Anyone got anything?
Old 03-22-2010, 10:22 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Re: Strange Files

Anyone got anything? Theres gotta be an answer for this.
Old 03-22-2010, 11:58 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Sorry bout that. The files are located on the phones memory, not the chip. I am using Imagio with WM6.5 Verizon stock ROM with TF3D 2.0. My phone is not acting up, memory is stable around 61% with no apps running. Everything seems to be working fine. When I open the files, there is nothing there that I can see. When I try to either change the file name or just delete them, my system says they cannot be named with those characters, and wont let me progress further. I did a search with Total Commander, and cannot find them through that way.

I listed the names above. As to why worry if nothing is acting up or they contain nothing, they are uninvited quests. If I didn't put them on, or they didn't come with the phone, I don't want them on. Every thing takes up space, even an empty folder. I just dont want files that show up unexpectedly to remain.
Old 03-22-2010, 12:00 PM
Retired Moderator
Pocket PC: NULL
Carrier: NULL

[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level

This is a HUGE red flag. Backup any data on your phone that you do not want to lose and do a hard-reset.

When you start seeing strange characters in filenames, that indicates that the data on the phone's ROM has become corrupt, and you need to reflash your ROM.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 03-22-2010, 12:46 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

thats what I was afraid of. Could it be from apps downloaded? Or perhaps just a clitch or something in relation to my ROM? I am very leary of Hard Reseting, finally got my baby how I like her. What are the chances of leaving them, and my system continuing to function well?
Old 03-22-2010, 12:54 PM
Retired Moderator

[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabson View Post
thats what I was afraid of. Could it be from apps downloaded? Or perhaps just a clitch or something in relation to my ROM? I am very leary of Hard Reseting, finally got my baby how I like her. What are the chances of leaving them, and my system continuing to function well?
Well, if it is the issue that I have experienced, there is no chance it will function normally for very long. Once you start getting errors about programs not being recognized, you have reached the point of no return.

However, if this is caused by something else, you may not have a major issue. Just make sure your contacts and appointments are backed up in case anything happens.

Try starting some programs from the start menu and see if your phone gives any errors or locks up.
Old 03-22-2010, 02:13 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Will do. Thanks for the advice. Will let you know what happens. I sync every night, and once a month do the "MyPhone" app from Microsoft. So I think if it does crash unexpectedly, I will be well covered. I got all my apps hard set on a CD, so that wont be an issue as well. Just hate going through and re-installing.

By the way, Those little animations at each side of your MW2 callsign, any way I can copy and past so that they will work on S2U2? Those are the slickest things I have seen! Would they work on it?
Old 03-22-2010, 02:20 PM
Retired Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabson View Post
Will do. Thanks for the advice. Will let you know what happens. I sync every night, and once a month do the "MyPhone" app from Microsoft. So I think if it does crash unexpectedly, I will be well covered. I got all my apps hard set on a CD, so that wont be an issue as well. Just hate going through and re-installing.

By the way, Those little animations at each side of your MW2 callsign, any way I can copy and past so that they will work on S2U2? Those are the slickest things I have seen! Would they work on it?
Definitely let me know if anything happens. By the way, there is a program called Sashimi that will automatically install all of your cabs after a hard-reset. It takes a while to configure, but once its setup correctly, flashing ROMs and hard-resetting is much easier!

And I THINK those animations should work in S2U2. They just won't take up the full screen. Right click on one of them and save it to your device, the copy it to the S2U2/gfx folder. You have to change the wallpaper options in the S2U2 settings, but it should load. I haven' tried it myself, however.
Old 03-22-2010, 02:21 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Thanks, will look into that program! Will also let you know about those animations.
Old 03-22-2010, 05:00 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

So, I went to start menu and opened up a bunch of preinstalled apps, and a bunch of post installed apps. And they all worked good. Memory drain peaked to around 71%, which its always done when running several apps, battery seemed fine, and system didn't lag or freeze. I thought I removed Throttlelock, as it made my system buggy and lagy, so thought I would did activate Throttlelock again, see what happened. Did the same thing. Notice after shutting everything off, my memory drain went to 73%. I made sure I removed Throttlelock this time, and performed a soft reset, with no apps running, I am at 60%.

I haven't gotten to the animations yet. Figured I better get some work done!

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > General Windows Mobile Discussions