PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > General Windows Mobile Discussions

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-14-2009, 11:05 PM
Unlimited is um, limited
Pocket PC: Razr MAXX
Carrier: Verizon

DaveTN is a trusted member of the communityDaveTN is a trusted member of the communityDaveTN is a trusted member of the communityDaveTN is a trusted member of the communityDaveTN is a trusted member of the communityDaveTN is a trusted member of the communityDaveTN is a trusted member of the communityDaveTN is a trusted member of the communityDaveTN is a trusted member of the communityDaveTN is a trusted member of the communityDaveTN is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
UGGGGHHHH! I HAVE to get an iPhone

I am probably one of the most outspoken critics of the iPhone with AT&T being the majority of the reason I do not want to own one. (Disclaimer: I DO have an ipod touch and like it)
I am very happy with my touch pro and have been with Sprint for over 12 years. (porbably one of the few happy customers...lol) I also just recently signed another two year contract and am locked in.
However, the grad school program that I have applied to and probably will be accepted into REQUIRES an iphone 3Gs with a data package. It also requires a certain Dell laptop ( I also despise Dell) which I have to purchase at an inflated price. Too bad because I presently use a really nice and much more capable Tablet PC.
On top ot that, the program I'm applying for (Physician Assistant) does not allow you to work, so I'll be unemployed for 27 months and having to foot the bill for 4 phones - 2 for me, one for my wife and the last for my son.
Of course, I also asked why I can't just use my ipod touch but was told that I had to have access to the data network and wifi is not always available. I kinda chuckled to myself thinking about how poor AT&T coverage is where I live compared to Sprint and Verizon. I would actually have a better chance of picking up a wifi signal than a AT&T data signal.

Oh well, just had to rant about something today.

David
Old 12-14-2009, 11:16 PM
Unlimited is um, limited
Pocket PC: Razr MAXX
Carrier: Verizon
Threadstarter

DaveTN is a trusted member of the communityDaveTN is a trusted member of the communityDaveTN is a trusted member of the communityDaveTN is a trusted member of the communityDaveTN is a trusted member of the communityDaveTN is a trusted member of the communityDaveTN is a trusted member of the communityDaveTN is a trusted member of the communityDaveTN is a trusted member of the communityDaveTN is a trusted member of the communityDaveTN is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Re: UGGGGHHHH! I HAVE to get an iPhone

Heh heh heh...

I guess one of the solutions would be to plead my case that I can use the data connection with my toufh pro and WifiRouter to create a data connection on my ipod touch. Just tried it out and it works perfectly.

David
Old 12-14-2009, 11:26 PM
I see you have a PPC.
Pocket PC: Droid
Carrier: Borged Alltel

MrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

It could be worse I suppose.
Old 12-15-2009, 09:38 AM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: HTC ARRIVE
Carrier: sprint

havox22 is halfway to VIP status based on rephavox22 is halfway to VIP status based on rephavox22 is halfway to VIP status based on rephavox22 is halfway to VIP status based on rephavox22 is halfway to VIP status based on rephavox22 is halfway to VIP status based on rephavox22 is halfway to VIP status based on rephavox22 is halfway to VIP status based on rephavox22 is halfway to VIP status based on rephavox22 is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTN View Post
Heh heh heh...

I guess one of the solutions would be to plead my case that I can use the data connection with my toufh pro and WifiRouter to create a data connection on my ipod touch. Just tried it out and it works perfectly.

David
yeah i was gonna suggest that, it would save u so much money

Dank-Ass Robba

This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 12-15-2009, 10:55 AM
Mr. Chevy
Pocket PC: Kaiser, XV6800, Ozone, & TP2
Carrier: Linearly polarized plane waves in LTE modulation

drewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

How can they require that you buy a particular laptop and phone. Even it is a great program it sounds like a program that I would not attend. I bet they have so many other mandates throughout your time with them.
Old 12-15-2009, 12:12 PM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: Apple iPhone 8 Plus
Carrier: At&t

mindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to mindfrost82

Why would the type of laptop matter? I guess if they wanted their IT department to support it, that way they only have to learn 1 laptop, but they they should buy it.

My sister is in med school and they were all encouraged to get an iPhone, so she did. She wanted one anyways.

If you don't mind carrying around 2 devices, then I would do what your alternative is if they let you. I would also plead your case about the laptop.
Old 12-15-2009, 01:07 PM
Coz-erator
Pocket PC: Sprint Galaxy Note 2 & other misc digital devices
Carrier: Sprint

CozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to CozBoogie Send a message via Yahoo to CozBoogie

This sounds like a scam wherein the school is getting some sort of kick-back from AT&T and Dell. If you can't find an obvious work around I'd hit up the school and see if there is some sort of program that offers:

1. Discounts on both devices.
2. Reimbursements for your expenditures.
3. Refurbished equipment that was returned by former students.

The type of laptop really shouldn't matter as long as it meets their requirements for connectivity and security (I'm assuming one of the reasons they want a specific laptop and configuration is that you'll be connecting to their network, etc.).

I'd also plead a hardship case to the school based on the fact that they will not let you work and that their restrictions are putting you in financial peril.

late,
Coz
Old 12-15-2009, 02:54 PM
I see you have a PPC.
Pocket PC: Droid
Carrier: Borged Alltel

MrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

Wow good advice Coz.
Old 12-15-2009, 08:52 PM
Knowledge Is True Opinion
Pocket PC: iPhone 4S
Carrier: Vzw

Carla is a trusted member of the communityCarla is a trusted member of the communityCarla is a trusted member of the communityCarla is a trusted member of the communityCarla is a trusted member of the communityCarla is a trusted member of the communityCarla is a trusted member of the communityCarla is a trusted member of the communityCarla is a trusted member of the communityCarla is a trusted member of the communityCarla is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to Carla

I have a friend that goes to BU Medical School and he had to purchase specific laptops from the school.
Old 12-15-2009, 09:08 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Epic 4G/U301 USB Card
Carrier: Sprint

gprimr1 is becoming a great contributor

I work for IT Support at a University and we do have an agreement with Dell and we supply standard configurations for machines. By having a limited number of models offered, we can build operating systems for them and it makes life a lot easier because we can just ghost a new image on and run Dell Image Direct.

Dell Image direct allows you to store up to 8 driver cabs per image, so one image will support 8 different computers. When it's done the computer is ready to go, no hunting for drivers, etc.

We have an agreement with Verizon to provide phone service for faculty.

Students are not required to buy a specific brand or model, but we do not guarentee resolutions for models not listed on our site.

I would seriously examine any program that requires you to buy something specific, especially if it is one of the programs that advertise over and over on tv. Usually the programs will allow you to use your own, but with the agreement that you will not recieve technical support.

Since Windows is a very general platform, I can not imagine a program that would run on Dell but not on say HP. Now if they are using higher end software, they may be concerned about people buying 299 Celeron crap computers and then wondering why it takes 20 minutes to load. If the programs are graphics intensive, there may be a concern that the GPU won't be powerful enough.

As for the Iphone, that does sound purley like a kick back to Apple and I would seriously demand to know exactly why it is required? Is there a specific medical application you will use?

I find it very strange they want a Windows based PC and an Apple based phone.

They aren't exactly two peas in a pod.

Last edited by gprimr1; 12-15-2009 at 09:12 PM.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > General Windows Mobile Discussions