PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > General Android Discussion
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-29-2009, 04:59 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Droid X
Carrier: Verizon

rolandroland is keeping up the good workrolandroland is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Android 2 and ActiveSync

No matter how much searching I do I can't seem to find the specific features ActiveSync will support natively in Android 2.0. Meaning email, calendar, contacts, set flag for f/u, meeting request, device wipe, etc.

Anyone out there know or have a link to some specific info?

Thanks!
Old 11-02-2009, 09:32 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: moto droid

_xv6800 is just getting started
Re: Android 2 and ActiveSync

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolandroland View Post
No matter how much searching I do I can't seem to find the specific features ActiveSync will support natively in Android 2.0. Meaning email, calendar, contacts, set flag for f/u, meeting request, device wipe, etc.

Anyone out there know or have a link to some specific info?

Thanks!
Hi Roland,

from what I have found - http://www.talkandroid.com/android-f...-sync-tip.html - you can't use active sync with android.

android 2.0 does support email sync with exchange servers which is not the same as activesync. Basically this would be useful if you have a corporate exchange email server to connect to. Vzw will also require the higher level plan I believe.

what you can do w/android is;

1. use google sync to sync your outlook calendar with a gmail calendar which will sync with the android device ( http://www.google.com/support/calend...n&answer=89955 )

2. export contacts from outlook and import them into gmail and then on to your android device. Obviously this is a manual process.

It appears there are some apps available to automate this, but again it is through a google account.

http://www.companionlink.com/product...=OL&hh=ANDROID
Old 11-02-2009, 09:40 AM
WP Heavy Rot Sloth
Pocket PC: Mogul, Touch Pro 1&2, Evo, PhotonQ
Carrier: Sprint

shaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

WOW!!!! I guess I shouldn't be surprised, but why would you want to use craptivesync.
gotta pick your poison carefully these days, do you want the fruit, suit, or goo. lol
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 11-02-2009, 10:26 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: moto droid

_xv6800 is just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaggylive View Post
WOW!!!! I guess I shouldn't be surprised, but why would you want to use craptivesync.
gotta pick your poison carefully these days, do you want the fruit, suit, or goo. lol
also I have read that the droid will not "sync music" as one currently does with winmo through activesync/windows media player/windows media center -

- instead you just copy the music files to the storage card... either through the phone or through a card reader...

wow what a novel idea! you just put the file on there - apparently there isn't the need to convert the file for the droid music player.

IMHO this is a good thing since I have had many issues with syncing music via activesync/wmp -- sometimes the conversion process seems to mess up the files and they don't play correctly on the phone - which forces a delete and re-sync to be undertaken.

so it almost seems like an improvement to me
Old 11-02-2009, 04:50 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Sprint Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

Radiohawk is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaggylive View Post
In my case I really need some form of activesync... as we haven't gone "exchange" at work... all my info is on my local desktop. Having said that, I understand HTC has sync software included with the Hero that will sync your calender and contacts directly from your PC, not email, notes, tasks or email. In my situation I'd simply get my email thru' an IMAP sync...
Old 11-02-2009, 05:11 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Droid X
Threadstarter

rolandroland is keeping up the good workrolandroland is keeping up the good work

Activersync isn't critical, what is of course is syncing email, contacts and calendar (from my Exchange server). If all 3 sync natively then people at my company getting an Andriod 2.0 phone is up for discussion. Otherwise they'll have to stick with hacked WinMo phones.

After doing some research though now that more info is out it does look like it will support ActiveSync (or equivalent) natively. So that is looking good.
Old 11-04-2009, 08:25 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: sprint diamond
Carrier: verizon

wavez is becoming a great contributor

I'm amazed that there hasn't been any specifics on what will be included in Android 2.0's native support for exchange. Has anyone heard about SSL, remote wipe, or PIN locking support? The second post in the below thread seems to indicate that remote wipe and pin locking won't be supported.

http://forums.verizon.com/t5/Android...18AD14465E99EE

This is the only thing I have found related to speculation on the specifics of Android 2.0's exchange support.

Thanks.
Old 11-05-2009, 01:52 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: sprint diamond
Carrier: verizon

wavez is becoming a great contributor

I tried the Android 2.0 SDK and was unable to connect to my company's exchange servers. They require PIN locking, remote wipe, and SSL. I used a test account that my exchange administrators setup and I was able to connect without policies enforced.

My guess at this point is that some combination of remote wipe and pin locking is not supported.

PPCGeeks > Android > General Android Discussion