PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > General Android Discussion
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2011, 10:22 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Axim x51v and TouchPro 2 now Arrive
Carrier: Sprint

JohnMcD348 is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Getting ready to Switch from WM. Lots of Questions(Sprint)

OK, My Touch Pro 2 decided to stop working and I would have to replace the phone(microphone has stopped working). So I need to find out about making the switch as easily as possible. I've been a Windows Mobile user for many years and I know my software library will be useless. What I am concerned with most is about my Contacts and Calender. Does it link well with programs like Outlook? I don't know much about GMail and their calender but I'm assuming I'll learn very soon.

Am I able to use Android with other Email servers other than GMail? I have accounts with Verizon, Brighthouse and an account at work.

Also, I'm a Sprint user, have been for many years from NexTel up. I'm looking at the different Android phones and want to know which one offers the greatest features and has the best reliability and known issues.

I'm looking at the EVO and Epic. 4G isn't important to me, they don't have it in my area anyway. I do want the slide out keyboard though.

I'll have more questions throughout the day/week. I appreciate the help you all have given me through the years.
Old 03-12-2011, 10:39 AM
Account Disabled
Pocket PC: HTC Shooter/Schubert 32GB
Carrier: T-Mobile

Dr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Wirelessly posted (WP7 Beta Tester: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 8.12; MSIEMobile6.0) Sprint T7380)

if you like winmo, i'd recommend wp7 and the arrive.
Old 03-12-2011, 10:48 AM
acs tester
Pocket PC: diamond/tp1/tp2/MoFo/touch 4g
Carrier: ppcgeeks/sprint

darren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via MSN to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via Yahoo to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via Skype™ to darren.wlsn1
Re: Getting ready to Switch from WM. Lots of Questions(Sprint)

op you will have no issues switching to android, i have 3 different email accounts and all work fine. if you want a slider then epic is best choice over evo shift. contacts/calendar sync fine.
Old 03-12-2011, 12:46 PM
O-Matic
Pocket PC: Vogue, TP2, Epic 4G, Nexus S, Galaxy SIII, Nexus 4
Carrier: Big Pink

shane6374 is a VIPshane6374 is a VIPshane6374 is a VIPshane6374 is a VIPshane6374 is a VIPshane6374 is a VIPshane6374 is a VIPshane6374 is a VIPshane6374 is a VIPshane6374 is a VIPshane6374 is a VIP
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to shane6374

Coming from the TP2, I think alot of people make the mistake of looking at HTC sense as a reason to stick with HTC and go with the Evo Shift. It's not, there are so many UI's available for Android that are so much better than sense imo. The Epic is one of the best phones out there spec wise. It's also a great developers phone since samsung doesn't discourage it unlike HTC and Moto. Also keep in mind that no matter what smart device you choose, your bill will be going up $10 since Sprint decided to pass on the "fee" from just 4g users to all smart phones. If price is a comcern, maybe look at the Samsung Transform. You give up alot spec wise and no super amoled screen, but it is $100 cheaper. Another great thing about samsung phones is that they are virtually unbrickable. I won't comment on WP7 because I don't know much about it. I went from the TP2 to the Epic myself.

Remember to clickon those who help! It's right down there.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 03-12-2011, 01:03 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Thanks for the input, that's the kind of stuff I want to hear about. I was looking at the HTC phone only because that's all I've ever had and I had great luck with them up until this 1 incident with my TP2 only lasting 13 months before the microphone went out.

I started off with a HP 2215(HTC built) and then moved up to a Dell Axim x51v(HTC Built) and was very happy with them and got many years of service from them. That, at the time along with all the WM software I had was my major deciding factor to get the TP2. Now, after this little incident, I'm not so certain they build that great a quality of Smartphone. But, the Evo Slider and the Samsung Slider seem to fit my needs as close as the TP2 did. I use it for work and have quite a few medical programs on it. Over the past few months, those companies have developed Android compatible versions so I am not tied to the WM platform anymore. They don't have WM7 versions yet and from what I've been seeing online, there isn't as big of a push yet for the average or commercial developer to create them.

Maybe in another year or three, I'll move back over to WM7( or whatever it is by then), but for now, it looks like the majority of what I use is on Android and I can probably find comparable programs to what I like for relatively cheap.

Thanks again and please keep the opinions and insight coming. I'll be picking this phone up on Thursday so I'd like to know about their ups and downs before hand. Had I known about the microphone issue with the TP2 before hand, I'd have probably gotten the insurance on it instead of opting out. I never treated my PDA's and phones badly enough to warrant it. and Up to now I'd always really liked HTC stuff.
Old 03-12-2011, 02:05 PM
O-Matic
Pocket PC: Vogue, TP2, Epic 4G, Nexus S, Galaxy SIII, Nexus 4
Carrier: Big Pink

shane6374 is a VIPshane6374 is a VIPshane6374 is a VIPshane6374 is a VIPshane6374 is a VIPshane6374 is a VIPshane6374 is a VIPshane6374 is a VIPshane6374 is a VIPshane6374 is a VIPshane6374 is a VIP
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to shane6374

For me, Sprint TEP is just great peace of mind. As far as manufactures go, I've never had a problem with any Samsung or HTC hardware. Motorola is a different story.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 03-12-2011, 07:49 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Yeah, I'm kinda kicking myself for not having gotten it now. I will get it with the next purchase. I rely on y phone for work but I thought of it about the same as I always did my PDA's and my regular Cell Phones over the years. I've never had any problems with them and they still look as new as when I bought them. I've always been one to protect my equipment. I hadn't taken into consideration build quality as an issue.

I do now though. I've been googling Problem threads on the other phones I'm looking at to see if there's any particular issues with them. If the Sprint store isn't able to do the swap out repair or if it's going to cost more than $100 to fix, then I'll just buy a new phone and I'll definitely go for the TEP on it this time and from now on
Old 03-14-2011, 01:20 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Just got back from the Sprint store and they are ordering me a replacement TP2 for $37 so I'll be keeping it for a little longer. If this one messes up, I'll definitely move on to something else.

Thanks all for the input and replies. When the time comes that I'll definitely be moving on, I'll be asking more questions again and researching it. By then the Dual core phones will be out and the whole game will change again.
Old 03-15-2011, 04:55 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: sprint tp2
Carrier: sprint

only1penny is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

that's too bad. i've been a touch, tp1 & tp2 guy. my tp2 was incredible, thought i might miss it if i changed & was thinking of the 7pro (or arrive whatever) myself. i decided to go with epic to experience the android thing and i'm very pleased. the epic does everything the tp2 does, just alot better, and faster. i just got mine at best buy for $149 with an upgrade. i haven't rooted it or flashed anything yet, i'm on 2.1 and it is still alot better. the deal breaker on the wp7 was no front facing camera (i use it with my son). i'm extremely happy with my choice. you will be too.
Old 03-15-2011, 01:54 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC TouchPro (VZW)
Carrier: Verizon

Asphyx is becoming a PPCGeeks regularAsphyx is becoming a PPCGeeks regularAsphyx is becoming a PPCGeeks regularAsphyx is becoming a PPCGeeks regularAsphyx is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Something to think about if you are going from WM and moving to Android.

As was stated yes there are better android interfaces than Sense but HTC provides one thing most android users don't get.

A software util to sync Outlook with the phone.

So you may want to give HTC an extra look as you can always replace the interface later if you wanted

PPCGeeks > Android > General Android Discussion