PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > General Android Discussion
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2011, 10:40 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Samsung Galaxy S / Epic 4g
Carrier: Sprint

KaliS is becoming a PPCGeeks regularKaliS is becoming a PPCGeeks regularKaliS is becoming a PPCGeeks regularKaliS is becoming a PPCGeeks regularKaliS is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to KaliS
Am I a PPC/Android Device Snob?

today a friend tells me that he and his wife have recently gotten an evo (his) and an epic (hers). the first thing outta my mouth was "dude, she got the better phone, see if u can take the evo back and swap it for another epic". he explained that the evo was enough phone for him and he knew from his wifes epic that the epic seemed to be a better phone. I was like, ok kool....suit yourself. he proceeded to ask about some things both phones can do and what he could download from the market. I answered him, then suggested he & she visit ppcg & xda to get LOTS of info for ther phones. he said what are those, I explained its a forum with info from users of the same phone u have. he stated that nah....that's too much we'll think about it but really we just wanna use the phones.

I stepped away thinking that its like the person who buys a hummer or porche, just to drive 10 mins to work in normal traffic and now freeway or off road hazard. why not just buy a regular phone if ur not going to utilize even 20% of what the phone can do? is it him or am I thinking like a real snob here?

Sent from my Epic 4g using Tapatalk Pro.
Old 01-13-2011, 11:18 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Droid X
Carrier: Verizon

racedog is keeping up the good workracedog is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Re: Am I a PPC/Android Device Snob?

People should buy and use whatever they want, its their money! I use what suits me and is functional and offers a bit of fun. I don't think its up to me to decide what anyone else should have. I don't care if someone is using an iphone, android, or Win Phone 7 or even 6.5. What difference does it make to me - or you?

I'm not a fanboy of any phone, I use what I want to use and I don't want anyone telling me what I should be using or should be buying. So, if I dont like it why should I be doing that to anyone else?

R
Old 01-13-2011, 12:59 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Evo Shift 4G

haus knows their stuffhaus knows their stuffhaus knows their stuffhaus knows their stuffhaus knows their stuffhaus knows their stuffhaus knows their stuff

I think the vast majority of non-techies aren't used to smartphones (yet)...but they hear about various things you can do so they get excited about it. But their level of excitement probably ends at geotagging photos or maybe tweeting from the top of the Empire State Building. The average person probably has little interest in going to XDA and spending too much of their lives (like we do) scouring forums for tips and tidbits to do things like overclock the phone and learn to tether for free.

Besides, for every 10 people that go from a flip phone to a smartphone, most will slowly start to realize some of the cool things you can do. Maybe one will actually get so into it they go to XDA and become a developer or at least an active community member. Think about it - we all started somewhere. Some of the names on here with more green bars than I can count were just getting started cooking ROMs for the XV6700 and that was only 4-5 years ago.

We've all been thinking, living, breathing smartphones for <insert length of time...for me it's about 5 years>; some in my family are still carrying RAZRs, though I think I've convinced them to get iPhones now on Verizon. They will use 1% of the features at first, but over time they will discover things that can be done, and this is the evolution of the industry and the market.

I find it is best not to poke fun at someone's $200+ (plus $2400 long term contract) purchase; they tend to get kind of pissy when you ridicule financial decisions.
Old 01-13-2011, 08:41 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: HTC EVO/no root

jpwhre knows their stuffjpwhre knows their stuffjpwhre knows their stuffjpwhre knows their stuffjpwhre knows their stuffjpwhre knows their stuff
Send a message via AIM to jpwhre Send a message via MSN to jpwhre Send a message via Yahoo to jpwhre

haus i feel that. That is so true in every way. Some of us that started out with a simple flip phone just want to make calls on the go, sometimes an sms. I for one started out with a flip phone cdma 8900 flip from about 7 years ago always wanted to see what the phone could do, and would googls "mods" for the phone lead me down the path I ended up in now. This site isn't for the faint of heart. 300+ million in this country and yet how many active members in this community or over at xda................ Too many simpletons.
Old 01-17-2011, 09:42 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Galaxy S3

lkillen knows their stufflkillen knows their stufflkillen knows their stufflkillen knows their stufflkillen knows their stufflkillen knows their stufflkillen knows their stuff

ya'll sound like phone phonies. Who cares what other phone someone has as long as they like it. Personally, I prefer the EVO over the Epic but that is me.
Old 01-19-2011, 08:20 PM
Post Master General
Pocket PC: White Evo: Myn's TPT RLS5, Stock Kernel
Carrier: The "NOW" Network

InvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributions

To each his own... but as for me I'm gonna stay up on the freshest lol. Yes I chose the Evo over the Epic for the form factor and the white version was just too beautiful for me to pass up. Every one has an option, theirs isnt always the one I'd chose.

Best... Member... Ever...
Old 01-19-2011, 08:26 PM
Stupid-Ass Skull Cruncha
Pocket PC: iPhone 5... Y Que?
Carrier: Esprin'

AZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

I think this thread is headed straight to the off topic section. LOL.
p.
Old 01-19-2011, 08:36 PM
Account Disabled
Pocket PC: HTC Shooter/Schubert 32GB
Carrier: T-Mobile

Dr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkillen View Post
ya'll sound like phone phonies. Who cares what other phone someone has as long as they like it.
plus 1,000,000!
Old 01-19-2011, 09:07 PM
Post Master General
Pocket PC: White Evo: Myn's TPT RLS5, Stock Kernel
Carrier: The "NOW" Network

InvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributions

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZTECHKA View Post
I think this thread is headed straight to the off topic section. LOL.
p.
Fully agree... if it were on a ledge, I'd push it lol.
Old 01-23-2011, 12:23 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: ppc6900
Carrier: Alltel

Lost My Mind is just getting started

Just curious, what makes epic better then evo? I guess if you NEED the physical qwerty keyboard, but other then that, I see evo winning in every other category.

PPCGeeks > Android > General Android Discussion