PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > General Android Discussion
Register Community Search

Notices

View Poll Results: Which Android Phone?
HTC Droid Incredible 5 26.32%
Samsung Fascinate 6 31.58%
Motorola Droid X 7 36.84%
Motorola Droid 2 1 5.26%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-13-2010, 09:56 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Galaxy Nexus
Carrier: Verizon

imnuts is a VIPimnuts is a VIPimnuts is a VIPimnuts is a VIPimnuts is a VIPimnuts is a VIPimnuts is a VIPimnuts is a VIPimnuts is a VIPimnuts is a VIPimnuts is a VIP
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Which Android Phone and Why?

I've been having issues recently with my TP2 and will likely get a new phone soon, within the next month. I'm getting my 4th replacement device now as all of them have had some sort of issue, and I'm getting tired of replacing my phone every few days. So, I'm wondering which of the new VZW Android phone's you would pick and why. ATM, I'm thinking of trying to get it replaced with the Incredible, but could be swayed to another device, depending on what others think. Although I have a hardware keyboard now, I rarely use it, so that's why I'm not automatically going with the Droid 2, though the physical keyboard would be a better argument for getting that as a replacement over something else.
Old 09-13-2010, 10:26 PM
"The Fuzzy One"
Pocket PC: PPC6800 & Touch Pro 2 & Epic 4G
Carrier: Sprint

gTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Re: Which Android Phone and Why?

To answer this I must first ask what exactly do you use your phone for on a daily bases..and what do you expect to do with your phone. And what your hopes are for the phone in the future.

http://quickrewards.net/?r=!F94VXV35D5MV2

(My shameless referral link)
Old 09-13-2010, 10:53 PM
VIP Member
Threadstarter

imnuts is a VIPimnuts is a VIPimnuts is a VIPimnuts is a VIPimnuts is a VIPimnuts is a VIPimnuts is a VIPimnuts is a VIPimnuts is a VIPimnuts is a VIPimnuts is a VIP

I use it for personal use only ATM. Primarily text messaging, very few phone calls. I also keep track of my email, Twitter, Facebook, and browse the web. I also try to keep up with news and weather. I want it to be customizable and at least somewhat easily update-able as far as the base OS goes. Speed is nice as well, though I think all of the phones have relatively similar specs, so I'm guessing that will come down to what all is running on it and how resource heavy the UI and apps are.
Old 09-13-2010, 11:55 PM
"The Fuzzy One"
Pocket PC: PPC6800 & Touch Pro 2 & Epic 4G

gTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

In terms of raw specs, the Fascinate has the best specs by a decent margin, though it is preloaded with Bing and Verizon crap..and since it just came out may take a bit for customizations.

In terms of easiest to update, most likely the Incredible as it is pretty much a Nexus One...while it may not get official upgrades it will probably easily get them from the community.

I do suggest visiting a Verizon store and trying to type on both the on screens and the keyboard phone...cause if you say you text message a lot and onscreen keyboards don't work out it could be an issue in itself.

The Droid X may be the easiest to type on with an onscreen keyboard just from the sheer size...

Judging from your situation I would wait to make your decision till your willing to buy right that moment as in a month or 2 the Droid Incredible HD may come out...there is also a rumor of the HTC phone with a 1.2ghz, a keyboard (4 row unfortunately), 4inch screen and a world phone...And if not in that time Fascinate and Droid 2 will have more development in them to have a better judgement of the 2 devices.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 09-14-2010, 01:11 AM
VIP Member
Threadstarter

Thanks for the info. I'm sure that the Droid X is likely the easiest to use for the on-screen keyboard, but the problem I'd be worried about with it is just because of its size that it's more prone to getting damaged and breaking, or getting in the way of other stuff in my pocket.

I think that the Incredible is about the same size across as my TP2, which I have few issues with the on screen keyboard, at least the HTC one. I've tried using the stock android keyboard via the in-progress android port, and it's a little more difficult to use.

I did hold the Fascinate the other day, and it seems to strike a good balance in size between the Incredible and Droid X.

Thanks for the info though. Hopefully others can provide some insight as well.
Old 09-14-2010, 04:08 AM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: TP2 & EVO

BenC knows their stuffBenC knows their stuffBenC knows their stuffBenC knows their stuffBenC knows their stuffBenC knows their stuff

I have to agree with the statement in #2 and then the keyboard thing. I was most unhappy with the Evo until I found a decent screen keyboard and now I almost like it.
Old 09-14-2010, 08:19 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Droid 2

outlaw.99 is becoming a great contributor
Send a message via AIM to outlaw.99

I have had the Ally, Devour, and Droid... The best was the Droid on 2.2, but waiting to see what the Ally 2.2 is like (still 2.1)for a fair comparison....The Ally has the nicest keyboard and only loses a little screen space to the Droid....
Old 09-14-2010, 01:51 PM
I see you have a PPC.
Pocket PC: Droid
Carrier: Borged Alltel

MrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

Honestly you'll just want to spend time on each phone. The Samsung phone that's new looks interesting.
Old 09-16-2010, 01:56 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Samsung Omnia

imageek2 is a n00b
Send a message via Skype™ to imageek2

I lean toward the Samsung Facinate. It really look and feels wonderful. I believe someone has a way to free up the Google apps, maps, search, etc. I hesitate to say this because I am not quite ready to buy and I don't want to flood Amazon so they take the offer off the table, BUT, they will send the phone for free - free shipping and zero cost for the phone as opposed to V's $199. Hard to beat. I a thinking of buying one even though I'm not out of contract yet. The savings will pay for any penalty.
Old 09-20-2010, 02:53 PM
I see you have a PPC.
Pocket PC: Droid
Carrier: Borged Alltel

MrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

You can unlock Google with a patch.

PPCGeeks > Android > General Android Discussion