PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > General Android Discussion
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-16-2010, 01:19 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Verizon TP2
Carrier: Verizon

HTC Touch-Pro is keeping up the good workHTC Touch-Pro is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Phones with Native 3G Hotspot Capability... tether to Gaming Consoles?

Hi everyone

I know the question about tethering smart phones to gaming consoles has been dissected time and time again. But my question doesn't revolve around tethering to a laptop and turning wifi sharing on to get a PS3 online, or trying to share the cell phone's wifi directly over-the-air to the PS3 with a built-in Hot Spot program on a custom-Rom...

I am curious if the new onslaught of Droid (and other) phones coming from the factory with 3G Hotspot sharing, changes anything as far as being compatible with a PS3 or Wii; or... if (sadly) it still is viewed by gaming consoles as "Ad-Hoc" and therefore will not be compatible?

I don't have internet at home... although I would like it, I hate the local services that offer it, and spending excess money every month just so I can battle some pals on Modern Warfare doesn't seem like a wise expenditure. If only there was a simple method to use my cell phone's internet connection, to get my PlayStation 3 online...................
August 12th... Droid-2! Still undecided; but leaning toward purchasing, as a phone to "tide" me over (according to great advice from ckeegan) until truly remarkable devices are released from Verizon fully operation on 4G networks in 2012!
Old 07-18-2010, 09:59 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

HTC Touch-Pro is keeping up the good workHTC Touch-Pro is keeping up the good work
Re: Phones with Native 3G Hotspot Capability... tether to Gaming Consoles?

Bump
Old 07-18-2010, 11:27 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: EVO 4G Baby!!!
Carrier: SprintPCS

D\/8 is halfway to VIP status based on repD\/8 is halfway to VIP status based on repD\/8 is halfway to VIP status based on repD\/8 is halfway to VIP status based on repD\/8 is halfway to VIP status based on repD\/8 is halfway to VIP status based on repD\/8 is halfway to VIP status based on repD\/8 is halfway to VIP status based on repD\/8 is halfway to VIP status based on repD\/8 is halfway to VIP status based on repD\/8 is halfway to VIP status based on rep

I believe nothing has changed in this area but there are options available. I believe you need a special router that can handle usb connection.

My router is the Cradlepoint MBR-1000 which has a USB port for connection to a phone or USB Broadband adapter. I can connect my phone to the router and the router uses it as the gateway sharing the internet connection to either wired or wireless devices connected to the network... It works but is a bit to slow for me... Maybe 4G will change this though...
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 07-18-2010, 12:36 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by D\/8 View Post
I believe nothing has changed in this area but there are options available. I believe you need a special router that can handle usb connection.

My router is the Cradlepoint MBR-1000 which has a USB port for connection to a phone or USB Broadband adapter. I can connect my phone to the router and the router uses it as the gateway sharing the internet connection to either wired or wireless devices connected to the network... It works but is a bit to slow for me... Maybe 4G will change this though...
Thanks so much! So, this 'specialized' router, which I have heard of but never truly done in-depth research on, allows for a DIRECT non-pc-assisted connection from my Touch Pro 2's mini-USB port to the router, which will then convert the Ad-Hoc connection into a usable Wi-Fi signal that will allow any/every device to connect, including the PS3 and Wii!?

PS: Who knows how long until 4G comes to my semi-podunk area south of Cleveland Ohio, but when it does, no more internet needed - forever. I have successfully shared my laptop's internet (derived, again, from my cell phone) around the home with a router I bought on Amazon a couple months ago, and it worked well, but I hate the whole need to configure, reconfigure, and on and on each time I use this method.
Old 07-18-2010, 03:02 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: EVO 4G Baby!!!
Carrier: SprintPCS

D\/8 is halfway to VIP status based on repD\/8 is halfway to VIP status based on repD\/8 is halfway to VIP status based on repD\/8 is halfway to VIP status based on repD\/8 is halfway to VIP status based on repD\/8 is halfway to VIP status based on repD\/8 is halfway to VIP status based on repD\/8 is halfway to VIP status based on repD\/8 is halfway to VIP status based on repD\/8 is halfway to VIP status based on repD\/8 is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTC Touch-Pro View Post
Thanks so much! So, this 'specialized' router, which I have heard of but never truly done in-depth research on, allows for a DIRECT non-pc-assisted connection from my Touch Pro 2's mini-USB port to the router, which will then convert the Ad-Hoc connection into a usable Wi-Fi signal that will allow any/every device to connect, including the PS3 and Wii!?
Correct... The phone plugs into the router which has a usb port... The router then shares the internet from the phone to all wired (8 ports) or wireless connected devices...

Of course you need to configure the network and devices to connect but it is no different than any other home network configuration...
Old 07-18-2010, 03:07 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

Quote:
Correct... The phone plugs into the router which has a usb port... The router then shares the internet from the phone to all wired (8 ports) or wireless connected devices...

Of course you need to configure the network and devices to connect but it is no different than any other home network configuration...
Well from my experience, the Play Station 3 has been very efficient at recognizing and auto-configuring internet connections/sources.

Once I set up the connection through the cradle router for the first time, will it remain static and compatible/recognized by the PS3 each and every time thereafter? THANKS!
Old 08-02-2010, 02:28 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

Quote:

I just talked to an associate via online chat with Cradle Point, and he said the MBR1000 or the CTR500 (a travel router) would be perfect for this purpose!

He wasn't sure, however, if my HTC Touch Pro 2 or Droid 2 I'm buying next week when its released, would be compatible... which struck me as odd.

What phone are you using... and wouldn't any smart phone with internet sharing (rooted to get around Verizon's restrictions) be able to work with the Cradle Point router to get my PS3 online? THANKS!
Old 08-05-2010, 10:03 AM
OMJ
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: Sprint HTC 10!!!!!
Carrier: Sprint

OMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)

if you're rooted, the latest versions of Wifi Tether supports Infrastructure mode

http://code.google.com/p/android-wifi-tether/
Old 08-05-2010, 05:33 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMJ View Post
if you're rooted, the latest versions of Wifi Tether supports Infrastructure mode

http://code.google.com/p/android-wifi-tether/
Thanks, I checked out the link you posted, but it still said it is Ad-Hoc mode... so the PS3, Wii, and Xbox won't connect to an Ad-Hoc network... unless the Infrastructure Mode is something specific that will mask the Ad-Hoc, and allow me to simple share WiFi from my cell phone and get online with my gaming consoles? If so... that would save me $150 and a LOT of time and aggravation!
Old 08-05-2010, 07:14 PM
OMJ
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: Sprint HTC 10!!!!!
Carrier: Sprint

OMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTC Touch-Pro View Post
Thanks, I checked out the link you posted, but it still said it is Ad-Hoc mode... so the PS3, Wii, and Xbox won't connect to an Ad-Hoc network... unless the Infrastructure Mode is something specific that will mask the Ad-Hoc, and allow me to simple share WiFi from my cell phone and get online with my gaming consoles? If so... that would save me $150 and a LOT of time and aggravation!
the earlier versions were ad-hoc only, can't recall what version started w/ infrastructure....

anyways, I know for a FACT it will work as I was playing COD6 on my PS3 today, wifi tethered w/ my EVO
This post has been thanked 1 times.

PPCGeeks > Android > General Android Discussion