PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > General Android Discussion
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-15-2010, 07:54 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: htc touch
Carrier: sprint

saucratiz is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
death of wm

I have been an avid wm user, since wm5 I currently have a tp2. I loathed the iphone loved the freedom, but been playing with android since it has hit the shelves, and with the anticpation of the evo, I take a trip to my nearest verizon store atleast once a weak to play with android 2.1 on the incredible, I love it...
imo, microsoft has been trying to deliver wm7 for the las almost 3 years, and they are trying to follow apples model by locking things down and controlling as much as possible, android instead is giving the consumers what they want, ie flash, android will be the most popular os by the end of the year no matter what apple does with their next gen device they will continue to loose market share
and as for wm7 even with the screenshots and sample vids we have seen so far im just not impressed and with the 1st wm7 not due until 4q10 not good
Old 05-15-2010, 07:57 PM
Super Saiyan 3
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 3D
Carrier: Sprint

freeza is a VIPfreeza is a VIPfreeza is a VIPfreeza is a VIPfreeza is a VIPfreeza is a VIPfreeza is a VIPfreeza is a VIPfreeza is a VIPfreeza is a VIPfreeza is a VIP
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to freeza Send a message via MSN to freeza Send a message via Yahoo to freeza Send a message via Skype™ to freeza
Re: death of wm

agreed
Old 05-15-2010, 08:05 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro2

Tectronus is keeping up the good workTectronus is keeping up the good work

Na... no way.. Just for the time being..

Not saying they will ever get on top again though.. MS will always be around pushing.
Old 05-15-2010, 08:30 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: touch pro 2
Carrier: sprint

rawker is just getting started

Here is my take; Apple has proved the closed platform can be profitable in the mobile market. I think Microsoft really has the power to to create a nice closed system. I Cant stand that sort of closed platform, but if they build it somewhere between apple and android it will have success.
Old 05-15-2010, 08:39 PM
"The Fuzzy One"
Pocket PC: PPC6800 & Touch Pro 2 & Epic 4G

gTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

The problem with M$ strategy for WP7 is not only the fact that it is a closed platform but so far they are aiming for what iphone did when it just came out..so they are fighting a force that is #1 today but fighting them yesterday.

Not only that Android proved that a pc type platform can be popular as well if done right.

I mean no matter how you look at, M$ is the sore looser here...

In the end they will enter a market aimed to fight the iPhone while Android gets all the old wm users and starts fighting them for regular users.

Not to mention, WP7 partner list does not seem to favor M$ 1 bit..unless they can get LG or Dell to run them exclusively there will always be more Android phones then WP7 phones.

http://quickrewards.net/?r=!F94VXV35D5MV2

(My shameless referral link)
Old 05-15-2010, 08:40 PM
Shop smart, shop S-MART!!
Pocket PC: Evolte, Gnex

themuffinman is a VIPthemuffinman is a VIPthemuffinman is a VIPthemuffinman is a VIPthemuffinman is a VIPthemuffinman is a VIPthemuffinman is a VIPthemuffinman is a VIPthemuffinman is a VIPthemuffinman is a VIPthemuffinman is a VIP

Yeah, as much as I love winmo, microsoft really f'd up on this one. They had so many years to come up with new innovative ideas but they sat on their asses being lazy since they were the only big players in the mobile market for a while. The iphone came out and it was lacking so many things but it worked perfect for the average person that didn't know jack about a pda, as a matter of fact the iphone is kinda like the "pda for dummies", again though it did what it was suppose to do with not that much hastle or even a learning curve. And with android being open source, how can you lose? The possibilities are endless. I hope microsoft hits a homerun with winmo7 but I am starting to believe that it may be a little too late for them but who knows, they got deep pockets so anything is possible. We will see

Old 05-15-2010, 08:46 PM
Shop smart, shop S-MART!!
Pocket PC: Evolte, Gnex

themuffinman is a VIPthemuffinman is a VIPthemuffinman is a VIPthemuffinman is a VIPthemuffinman is a VIPthemuffinman is a VIPthemuffinman is a VIPthemuffinman is a VIPthemuffinman is a VIPthemuffinman is a VIPthemuffinman is a VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by rawker View Post
Here is my take; Apple has proved the closed platform can be profitable in the mobile market. I think Microsoft really has the power to to create a nice closed system. I Cant stand that sort of closed platform, but if they build it somewhere between apple and android it will have success.
In my opinion the only thing that apple really proved is that you can sell anything with effective marketing and they are better than that compared to anyone else period. Hell I can guarantee that if apple could some how release a product like the ppc-6700 apache and called it the i-brick, it will get crazy good reviews and fanboys will be spending the night camping trying to get one. Apple is the master of marketing, I will give them that.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 05-15-2010, 08:50 PM
"The Fuzzy One"

gTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the community

Quote:
Originally Posted by themuffinman View Post
In my opinion the only thing that apple really proved is that you can sell anything with effective marketing and they are better than that compared to anyone else period. Hell I can guarantee that if apple could some how release a product like the ppc-6700 apache and called it the i-brick, it will get crazy good reviews and fanboys will be spending the night camping trying to get one. Apple is the master of marketing, I will give them that.
Well another fail on M$ side is their partners like HP, Dell, Compaq and etc..they are all developing PDA's...did not one of them think..lets put a GSM/CDMA chip in it and get it on a cellphone provider?

I mean HTC was a nobody and they were selling the phones through 3rd party distributors who generically branded them. Thats why I always say HTC grew at M$ expense.

If Dell would have released a phone in the US back then it would sell like hotcakes.
Old 05-15-2010, 08:54 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC EVO™ 3D

furiousgtz is keeping up the good workfuriousgtz is keeping up the good workfuriousgtz is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by themuffinman View Post
Apple is saying its not the hardware its the software and I agree they have some of the best marketing campaigns. People just eat those ads. Still a WM fan.
Old 05-15-2010, 09:02 PM
"The Fuzzy One"

Quote:
Originally Posted by furiousgtz View Post
Apple is saying its not the hardware its the software and I agree they have some of the best marketing campaigns. People just eat those ads. Still a WM fan.
It is true but WM relies a LOT on hardware and as it is way bulkier then most other OS. I mean if HTC would have released the phone with better hardware it would have made the difference. But at the time HTC was just starting and only did minor hardware improvements with each revision. Most PDA's had at least 2x the processing of the phones.

If WM debuted as a phone as an HD2 is now it would have had much different reception. I mean even if they added a bit more ram and licensed the drivers it would have made a difference.

PPCGeeks > Android > General Android Discussion