PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro > CDMA TP Development
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2009, 04:20 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

temperamentalman knows their stufftemperamentalman knows their stufftemperamentalman knows their stufftemperamentalman knows their stufftemperamentalman knows their stufftemperamentalman knows their stufftemperamentalman knows their stuff
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to temperamentalman Send a message via MSN to temperamentalman
Thumbs up The Chef's Thread..."The Idiots Guide to Flashing"

Please remember that when flashing any custom ROM, there are potential issues. Speaking only for Fallen (but I'm sure Mighty, Psyki, Silence, etc. all do the same) we test thoroughly before release. Sometimes, problems just "sneak" by. If that happens we will post those issues as known.

What we can't control is the installation of additional programs, tweaks, drivers, etc. And we certainly can't help when CAB's (or whatever) are installed on top of existing CAB's or drivers. THEN we receive a report that there is an error with the ROM. But there isn't. It's an error with the operator.

1. Make sure your phone is unlocked prior to flashing.
2. Download your preferred ROM and flash.
3. Allow all customizations to run and allow for first boot.
4. Hard Reset.
5. Note any issues that appear prior to restoring contacts, or installing additional software, CAB files, drivers, etc.

6. Report those issues to the chef.
7. If problems arise AFTER you've installed software, don't report those items as ROM issues in the chef's thread. State that you installed "X" and this occured. It makes it very difficult for us to diagnose an issue when we have no idea you installed "X" until after the fact.

We don't get paid for this. We do this to bring the most features and speed to our phones. Help us keep that alive.

Thanks!

Fallen...

By request, I have added a "donations" link. If you like my work please donate! It's not expected, but it is appreciated!

or, simply hit "Thanks"

Last edited by temperamentalman; 04-28-2009 at 05:00 PM.
This post has been thanked 2 times.
Old 04-28-2009, 04:23 PM
Google-Search&Rescue Div.
Pocket PC: MoPho CM9/ MotoACTV / GTab 10.1(I/O LE)
Carrier: PPCGeeks/XDA

MoonZ*BabysH is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMoonZ*BabysH is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMoonZ*BabysH is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMoonZ*BabysH is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMoonZ*BabysH is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMoonZ*BabysH is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMoonZ*BabysH is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMoonZ*BabysH is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMoonZ*BabysH is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMoonZ*BabysH is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMoonZ*BabysH is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Send a message via AIM to MoonZ*BabysH Send a message via Skype™ to MoonZ*BabysH
Re: The Chef's Thread..."The Idiots Guide to Flashing"

Theres a sticky thats pretty staight foward and detailed with links and files needed for the full process, why make another thread?
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 04-28-2009, 04:36 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Carrier: Metro PCS

YouMayLose knows their stuffYouMayLose knows their stuffYouMayLose knows their stuffYouMayLose knows their stuffYouMayLose knows their stuffYouMayLose knows their stuff
Send a message via MSN to YouMayLose

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonzbabysh View Post
Theres a sticky thats pretty staight foward and detailed with links and files needed for the full process, why make another thread?
I think in this one he's saying for people NOT to install things then report them problems as rom problems... KEEP TRACK of what ever you install then when reporting the problem in the ROM thread be specific as to what you installed and what the problem is... is what I think the point to this thread is IMO
Old 04-28-2009, 04:38 PM
Google-Search&Rescue Div.
Pocket PC: MoPho CM9/ MotoACTV / GTab 10.1(I/O LE)
Carrier: PPCGeeks/XDA

MoonZ*BabysH is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMoonZ*BabysH is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMoonZ*BabysH is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMoonZ*BabysH is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMoonZ*BabysH is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMoonZ*BabysH is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMoonZ*BabysH is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMoonZ*BabysH is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMoonZ*BabysH is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMoonZ*BabysH is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMoonZ*BabysH is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Send a message via AIM to MoonZ*BabysH Send a message via Skype™ to MoonZ*BabysH

The title of the thread gave me a diffrent inpression, but i guess it makes sence.
Old 04-28-2009, 04:56 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

temperamentalman knows their stufftemperamentalman knows their stufftemperamentalman knows their stufftemperamentalman knows their stufftemperamentalman knows their stufftemperamentalman knows their stufftemperamentalman knows their stuff
Send a message via AIM to temperamentalman Send a message via MSN to temperamentalman

Quote:
Originally Posted by YouMayLose View Post
I think in this one he's saying for people NOT to install things then report them problems as rom problems... KEEP TRACK of what ever you install then when reporting the problem in the ROM thread be specific as to what you installed and what the problem is... is what I think the point to this thread is IMO
That is exactly the point. Thanks...

I keep getting reports of issues, posts in our thread, etc. that there are issues with the ROM. After digging into it, some people (ok, alot) are installing CAB's and don't even know why. Then, complain the ROM isn't working. I can't fix an electrical problem when there's no power to the house...
Old 04-28-2009, 05:00 PM
Regular 'Geeker

YouMayLose knows their stuffYouMayLose knows their stuffYouMayLose knows their stuffYouMayLose knows their stuffYouMayLose knows their stuffYouMayLose knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by temperamentalman View Post
I can't fix an electrical problem when there's no power to the house...

Actually it is well known that you are required to terminate the electricity before fixing an electrical problem to insure you wont get electrocuted... lmao sorry man just joking and couldn't resist :-p
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 04-28-2009, 05:03 PM
VIP Member

retrodeviant is still contributing even after becoming a VIPretrodeviant is still contributing even after becoming a VIPretrodeviant is still contributing even after becoming a VIPretrodeviant is still contributing even after becoming a VIPretrodeviant is still contributing even after becoming a VIPretrodeviant is still contributing even after becoming a VIPretrodeviant is still contributing even after becoming a VIPretrodeviant is still contributing even after becoming a VIPretrodeviant is still contributing even after becoming a VIPretrodeviant is still contributing even after becoming a VIPretrodeviant is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

At the risk of sounding a bit moronic, I have a question. I've seen various posts that suggest flashing stock back on, then flashing your new ROM over stock. I haven't done that, and I've flashed several ROMs (this week!), but I was wondering if that is actually the preferred method?
Old 04-28-2009, 05:06 PM
Regular 'Geeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by retrodeviant View Post
At the risk of sounding a bit moronic, I have a question. I've seen various posts that suggest flashing stock back on, then flashing your new ROM over stock. I haven't done that, and I've flashed several ROMs (this week!), but I was wondering if that is actually the preferred method?
I'd like to know this aswell... I just assumed hard resetting after a flash would wipe out any "left-over" from the old rom
Old 04-28-2009, 05:09 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by YouMayLose View Post
Actually it is well known that you are required to terminate the electricity before fixing an electrical problem to insure you wont get electrocuted... lmao sorry man just joking and couldn't resist :-p
LMAO 120v only tickles. 277 neutral now...watch out.
Old 04-28-2009, 05:14 PM
Shop smart, shop S-MART!!
Pocket PC: Evolte, Gnex

themuffinman is a VIPthemuffinman is a VIPthemuffinman is a VIPthemuffinman is a VIPthemuffinman is a VIPthemuffinman is a VIPthemuffinman is a VIPthemuffinman is a VIPthemuffinman is a VIPthemuffinman is a VIPthemuffinman is a VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by retrodeviant View Post
Personally, I have never done that and I haven't had any problems really. But who knows, better safe than sorry I guess.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro > CDMA TP Development