PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond > CDMA Diamond Development
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2009, 08:29 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Sprint Touch Diamond
Carrier: Sprint

jdepew is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Won't connect in USB / Bootloader stuck in Serial

Hi all,

I tried flashing my Diamond with the newer sprint radio released a couple weeks back that was packaged to not need a hard reset. Like an idiot, forgot to go through the unlock process before hand... the package started working but never completed, but no catastrophic failure, just a graceful fail, no update, no problems it seemed. Until I tried reconnected to my laptop to sync some updated contacts. Now it won't connect via USB and be recognized at all, it just charges. Interestingly as a side effect, previous USB charges like my apple and garmin USB chargers which worked fine with a miniUSB cable to charge the phone now only charge with the extUSB cable,while the stock HTC charger continues to work with miniUSB or extUSB..

So today, in an attempt to avoid hard resetting, which I'd rather not do without knowing that will put it back to USB connect working since then I would have NO contacts on the phone, I pullled up the bootloader and it says 'serial' in the white bar, connecting a USB cable should change it to USB, but alas, no change.

So - the question is - how to you fix a bootloader that is stuck in serial mode?

Thanks!
Old 02-03-2009, 11:12 PM
THE HENCHMAN
Pocket PC: Sprint HTC Diamond & Verizon Blackberry Storm!
Carrier: Sprint w/ SERO!

stevedog1 is a VIPstevedog1 is a VIPstevedog1 is a VIPstevedog1 is a VIPstevedog1 is a VIPstevedog1 is a VIPstevedog1 is a VIPstevedog1 is a VIPstevedog1 is a VIPstevedog1 is a VIPstevedog1 is a VIP
Send a message via AIM to stevedog1
Re: Won't connect in USB / Bootloader stuck in Serial

Does your phone boot up normally and let you see your contacts? If so, back them up using PIM and then hard reset.
Attached Files
File Type: zip PPCPimBackup.zip (165.1 KB, 10 views) Click for barcode!

Old 02-03-2009, 11:14 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

jdepew is a n00b

yeah, it boots up and works fine otherwise. the big question is - will a hard reset fix the problem? Thanks for the PIM link!
Old 02-04-2009, 12:30 AM
THE HENCHMAN

stevedog1 is a VIPstevedog1 is a VIPstevedog1 is a VIPstevedog1 is a VIPstevedog1 is a VIPstevedog1 is a VIPstevedog1 is a VIPstevedog1 is a VIPstevedog1 is a VIPstevedog1 is a VIPstevedog1 is a VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdepew View Post
the big question is - will a hard reset fix the problem?
There's only one way to find out! In case it doesn't work, just flash the Stock nbh file from the internal storage, and start all over again (Unlocking..Flashing..)

Quote:
Thanks for the PIM link!
Anytime!

Last edited by stevedog1; 02-04-2009 at 12:32 AM.
Old 02-04-2009, 12:33 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Diamond, Touch Pro 2

cannibalslug is just getting started
Send a message via AIM to cannibalslug Send a message via MSN to cannibalslug Send a message via Yahoo to cannibalslug

Quote:
yeah, it boots up and works fine otherwise. the big question is - will a hard reset fix the problem? Thanks for the PIM link!
If you're shifty about the hard reset and if you don't have a physically damaged connection give this a shot so at least you know you tried one last thing.

http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/e...-5431c7534731/
Old 02-04-2009, 12:36 AM
THE HENCHMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by cannibalslug View Post
If you're shifty about the hard reset and if you don't have a physically damaged connection give this a shot so at least you know you tried one last thing.

http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/e...-5431c7534731/
Good try , but that thread has nothing to do with the bootloader not recognizing a USB connection. Key word being bootloader.
Old 02-04-2009, 12:37 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Diamond, Touch Pro 2

cannibalslug is just getting started
Send a message via AIM to cannibalslug Send a message via MSN to cannibalslug Send a message via Yahoo to cannibalslug

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevedog1 View Post
Good try , but that thread has nothing to do with the bootloader not recognizing a USB connection.
True and my bad, i think i misread the initial post. I thought he was just having a bad usb connection, good luck.
Old 02-04-2009, 03:05 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Evo 3D™

Unknownforce knows their stuffUnknownforce knows their stuffUnknownforce knows their stuffUnknownforce knows their stuffUnknownforce knows their stuffUnknownforce knows their stuff

Quote:
Hi all,

I tried flashing my Diamond with the newer sprint radio released a couple weeks back that was packaged to not need a hard reset. Like an idiot, forgot to go through the unlock process before hand... the package started working but never completed, but no catastrophic failure, just a graceful fail, no update, no problems it seemed. Until I tried reconnected to my laptop to sync some updated contacts. Now it won't connect via USB and be recognized at all, it just charges. Interestingly as a side effect, previous USB charges like my apple and garmin USB chargers which worked fine with a miniUSB cable to charge the phone now only charge with the extUSB cable,while the stock HTC charger continues to work with miniUSB or extUSB..

So today, in an attempt to avoid hard resetting, which I'd rather not do without knowing that will put it back to USB connect working since then I would have NO contacts on the phone, I pullled up the bootloader and it says 'serial' in the white bar, connecting a USB cable should change it to USB, but alas, no change.

So - the question is - how to you fix a bootloader that is stuck in serial mode?

Thanks!
Maybe you're going about this the wrong way. You even stated that OTHER devices are acting strangely as well when trying to use them via USB. Turn your attention to the PC. Anything significant changed on your PC as of late? Try a different PC. And remember, if you don't have ActiveSync loaded or whatever it is for Vista or 7 (can't remember the name), you're not going to get a proper connection, so it probably would do just the same in bootloader, not be recognized by the system, therefore not showing a connection on the phone.

Sounds more like a PC problem though.
Old 02-04-2009, 06:50 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

jdepew is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknownforce View Post
Maybe you're going about this the wrong way. You even stated that OTHER devices are acting strangely as well when trying to use them via USB. Turn your attention to the PC. Anything significant changed on your PC as of late? Try a different PC. And remember, if you don't have ActiveSync loaded or whatever it is for Vista or 7 (can't remember the name), you're not going to get a proper connection, so it probably would do just the same in bootloader, not be recognized by the system, therefore not showing a connection on the phone.

Sounds more like a PC problem though.
I tried a combination of 4 different PCs running a collection of Vista and XP both with and without Active Sync to rule that out. No go on any, not even detected as a USB device. To further prove that its not a PC problem, my Axim connects and syncs on those without and with ActiveSync, respectively. So - the only constant is the phone.

Anybody else have any ideas on how to force the bootloader to USB short of hard reset, which we still don't know will work (and I'm avoiding as long as possible since phone still works fine other than usb sync and i'd rather not lose all my contacts, etc..)?

Thanks!
Old 02-04-2009, 07:01 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Evo 3D™

Unknownforce knows their stuffUnknownforce knows their stuffUnknownforce knows their stuffUnknownforce knows their stuffUnknownforce knows their stuffUnknownforce knows their stuff

Quote:
I tried a combination of 4 different PCs running a collection of Vista and XP both with and without Active Sync to rule that out. No go on any, not even detected as a USB device. To further prove that its not a PC problem, my Axim connects and syncs on those without and with ActiveSync, respectively. So - the only constant is the phone.

Anybody else have any ideas on how to force the bootloader to USB short of hard reset, which we still don't know will work (and I'm avoiding as long as possible since phone still works fine other than usb sync and i'd rather not lose all my contacts, etc..)?

Thanks!
Since the hard reset doesn't reset the internal storage card (the 4 gig card) simply do what was recommended before, PIM Backup will get all contacts, e-mails, text messages, appointments, etc. Save it to the internal storage somewhere, then do the hard reset, the only thing you lose at that point is settings and any post-flash programs. (You will have to re-install any apps you had installed after flashing.)

This way you'll know whether or not this fixes it.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond > CDMA Diamond Development