PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Off Topic Chatter > Carrier Discussion

Notices



Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 11-22-2010, 12:51 PM
jimmiekain's Avatar
Almost a VIP
Offline
Pocket PC: Samsung Galaxy S II Epic 4G Touch
Carrier: Sprint
Location: Ontario California USA
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 930
Reputation: 485
jimmiekain is becoming a PPCGeeks regularjimmiekain is becoming a PPCGeeks regularjimmiekain is becoming a PPCGeeks regularjimmiekain is becoming a PPCGeeks regularjimmiekain is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to jimmiekain Send a message via MSN to jimmiekain Send a message via Yahoo to jimmiekain
Questions about VZW LTE?

According to engadget

Verizon launching LTE network in December 2010 (video) -- Engadget

VZW will have 4g lte next month. I currently have the htc evo and live in a area with ok 4g coverage (scale of 1 to 10 i give it a 6). I'm wondering if anyone can answer these questions about vzw lte.

1. Will it allow me to talk to surf the web at the same time like sprint wimax 4g?

2. Anyone know if its gonna be a battery killer like wimax?

3. Say for instance I'm doing a video call in a 4g/lte area and while im driving i move to a non 4g area. Will my call be disconnected when I my phone switches to 3g? Or am i way out of the realm of possibility on this one?

4. Anyone know how much extra they are gonna charge for lte?

5. People all over the internet are saying that tmobile hspa+ is still faster. is this true?

6. Will it slow my phone down and make it lag like crazy like my evo when 4g is on?

Please... nobody tell me to google this stuff because I already did and all i could find was peoples opinions. I'm looking for cold hard facts... Opinions are ok too but... well you know!
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 11-22-2010, 01:24 PM
gTen's Avatar
"The Fuzzy One"
Offline
Pocket PC: PPC6800 & Touch Pro 2 & Epic 4G
Carrier: Sprint
Location: Internet
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 7,855
Reputation: 9080
gTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Re: Questions about VZW LTE?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiekain View Post

1. Will it allow me to talk to surf the web at the same time like sprint wimax 4g?
Yes, you would be able to talk over 1x and do data over 4g..no chatting over 4g yes since the spec won't be finalized till 2011 at the very least.(asside from VOIP of course)

Quote:
2. Anyone know if its gonna be a battery killer like wimax?
Probably...its not that wimax or LTE are battery killers by themselves..what kills the batter is going from weak to strong signals and loosing signals...take 3g to subway and watch your phone run out of energy in no time.

Quote:
3. Say for instance I'm doing a video call in a 4g/lte area and while im driving i move to a non 4g area. Will my call be disconnected when I my phone switches to 3g? Or am i way out of the realm of possibility on this one?
It depends on the software used...usually it will swap to 3g just like the EVO does..but what happens is the application usually may not adopt to the switch due to it being a different connection and a swap of ips..if the VOIP solution is programmed for this then tis no problem.

Quote:
4. Anyone know how much extra they are gonna charge for lte?
Hard to say...if they stick to limiting by gb no reason to charge anything...but if they decide to charge by speed then we will see...

Quote:
5. People all over the internet are saying that tmobile hspa+ is still faster. is this true?
Yes and no..HSPA+ has a maximum of 21mbps...LTE has a maximum of 100mbps..of course Verizon wont give you the full 100mbps and will be more on par with 12mbps due to the small amount of spectrum they are running it on(20mhz)...(HSPA+ real life is about 12mbps too)..the biggest difference between HSPA+ and next gen technologies is:

1) Efficiency - LTE and Wimax are much more efficient and can have more simultaneous users..so while HSPA+ may be fast now due to limited phones able to take advantage of it..the more users it has, the faster it will bog down.

2) Ping - Though due to how little cell towers both sprint and verizon have I doubt you will see the advantage here :/

Quote:
6. Will it slow my phone down and make it lag like crazy like my evo when 4g is on?
Idk..I have an Epic 4g and I haven't really lagged on 4g..but it may depend on the towers, your radio or other things...

Quote:
Please... nobody tell me to google this stuff because I already did and all i could find was peoples opinions. I'm looking for cold hard facts... Opinions are ok too but... well you know!
My opinion is you need to Google! jk lol
__________________
Earn some spare cash and get cash back at stores like NewEgg and more:

http://quickrewards.net/?r=!F94VXV35D5MV2

(My shameless referral link)
Reply With Quote
This post has been thanked 2 times.
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 11-22-2010, 01:41 PM
jimmiekain's Avatar
Almost a VIP
Offline
Pocket PC: Samsung Galaxy S II Epic 4G Touch
Carrier: Sprint
Threadstarter
Location: Ontario California USA
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 930
Reputation: 485
jimmiekain is becoming a PPCGeeks regularjimmiekain is becoming a PPCGeeks regularjimmiekain is becoming a PPCGeeks regularjimmiekain is becoming a PPCGeeks regularjimmiekain is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to jimmiekain Send a message via MSN to jimmiekain Send a message via Yahoo to jimmiekain
Re: Questions about VZW LTE?

@gten thanks man... #5 subsection 1... When you say simultaneous users... what exactly do you mean? Is it like a cable modem scenario where the more people are in your lan the slower your connection will be?

Is this why everyone says att is slow because of iphone users?
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 11-22-2010, 02:02 PM
gTen's Avatar
"The Fuzzy One"
Offline
Pocket PC: PPC6800 & Touch Pro 2 & Epic 4G
Carrier: Sprint
Location: Internet
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 7,855
Reputation: 9080
gTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Re: Questions about VZW LTE?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiekain View Post
@gten thanks man... #5 subsection 1... When you say simultaneous users... what exactly do you mean? Is it like a cable modem scenario where the more people are in your lan the slower your connection will be?
Kinda...each company sends signal in a certain frequency..the larger the spectrum the more things you can do with it like increase capacity or increase speed...depending on the specifications though you can achieve better efficiency using the same amount of spectrum..technologies such as Wimax and LTE tend to be more efficient then HSPA+...think of it like zip...the better the compression the smaller the size and faster you can transfer it.

Quote:
Is this why everyone says att is slow because of iphone users?
Well actually AT&T network is just crap lol...but the iphone has been known to intervene with its radio issues and the network..this isn't even quantity related..I don't know if its been fixed with the new iphone or not...
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 11-22-2010, 02:45 PM
youngblack's Avatar
Regular 'Geeker
Offline
Pocket PC: Treo750,HTC Touch PRO, DIAMOND, Palm Pre, Epic 4G
Carrier: AT&T and SPRINT
Location: Frederick, MD
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 444
Reputation: 130
youngblack is keeping up the good workyoungblack is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiekain View Post

3. Say for instance I'm doing a video call in a 4g/lte area and while im driving i move to a non 4g area. Will my call be disconnected when I my phone switches to 3g? Or am i way out of the realm of possibility on this one?
Video calling...and not keeping your eyes on the road...is straight sucide or yeah/ way out of the realm of possibility on that one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiekain View Post
Please... nobody tell me to google this stuff because I already did and all i could find was peoples opinions. I'm looking for cold hard facts... Opinions are ok too but... well you know!
I say Google! bitch! lol google! lol j/k

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 11-22-2010, 02:51 PM
youngblack's Avatar
Regular 'Geeker
Offline
Pocket PC: Treo750,HTC Touch PRO, DIAMOND, Palm Pre, Epic 4G
Carrier: AT&T and SPRINT
Location: Frederick, MD
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 444
Reputation: 130
youngblack is keeping up the good workyoungblack is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gTen View Post
Well actually AT&T network is just crap lol...but the iphone has been known to intervene with its radio issues and the network..this isn't even quantity related..I don't know if its been fixed with the new iphone or not...
Btw if you get a 4G phone no rubber case required.


Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

Last edited by youngblack; 11-22-2010 at 04:56 PM.
Reply With Quote
Reply

  PPCGeeks > Off Topic Chatter > Carrier Discussion

Tags
lte, speed, verizon

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:18 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
©2012 - PPCGeeks.com