PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM Other Manufacturers > Samsung Omnia
Register Community Search

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-2009, 10:37 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: vx 6700, Touch, Samsung Omnia, Moto Droid
Carrier: Verizon

iclickjohn is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
For those about to defect to Droid (or android)

Stop and think about this.
I've searched frantically for the last few days, trying to find similar apps for the Droid. Since I was convinced that it was the best move.
Can't find any XM Radio app
Can't find any Groovefish
Can't find Kinoma Play
WM already has voice activated Bing with directions located by GPS
Wm already has turn by turn directions with Bing, Google maps, Amaze.
WM already has all the apps anyone would ever logically use.
WM already has Tellme voice activated search w/ GPS functionality.
WM already has SPB Mobile Shell with smooth touch controls and panels with widgets. Or if you prefer TF3D, or if you prefer, Titanium, or if you prefer Stock Omnia widgets.
So OK what do you get with Android?
Well, you don't get apps that give purpose to the OS. That being "Intents" which is supposed to link apps together seamlessly. Yes, there are apps that join contacts with maps,(WM does as well) maps with search, (WM does as well) Really nothing stunning.
What you have is just another OS like any other with apps that mostly stand alone rather than take advantage of the OS platform.
So for any Omnia users, think twice. I was convinced I was jumping ship, I'm not so sure now.
This post has been thanked 4 times.
Old 11-03-2009, 11:19 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Moto Droid
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

seanosaur is keeping up the good workseanosaur is keeping up the good workseanosaur is keeping up the good work
Re: For those about to defect to Droid (or android)

i haven't really considered switching (most because i'm nowhere near my upgrade) but just looking at some of the screenshots i can say that i like the interface better. it seems more polished and the majority of the apps i've seen are the same way.

just my $.02

Old 11-04-2009, 11:50 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: WM Omnia & Moto Droid
Carrier: VZW

Hoss is becoming a great contributor

With the investment I have in s/w so far and that I have customized what I need and prefer, a change to a new OS would seem premature for me. The new devices for the new OS appear to be a nice line-up but wasn't that the case when the (gulp) Treo 700W came out too? Looks like I will wait for more experiences from others on the Android OS and devices before I consider if this will be a better alternative to WM devices.
Old 11-05-2009, 10:48 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Evo 4G
Carrier: Sprint

cg83 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularcg83 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularcg83 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularcg83 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

this was on my list but now reading about it, just seems like its overrated. a few places say its the best Phone on VZW now and it beats out the HTC Droid but I have narrowed my choices to TP2(which I keep reading that its kind of slow and buggy so thats out of the picture) Storm 2 or Omnia 2
Old 11-05-2009, 11:43 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Motorola DROID

rolijen is becoming a great contributor

After this Droid launch tomorrow (I'm guessing within a couple weeks) Omnia 2 will be out. Twice the battery life of any smartphone yet produced. Amazing screen. Weighs almost the same as our current Omnias. As for the HTC Touch Pro 2, it is truly a nice phone BUT it's a heavy dog and thick as a brick. The coolness of the keyboard wears off after about 3 days. I returned mine after 2 weeks. I'm waiting to hear from real users about the Droid(s). Until then, I'm still hanging on for Omnia 2.

For those about to rock (We salute you)
Old 11-06-2009, 12:22 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Samsung omnia i910
Carrier: verizon

winmofreak is just getting started

personally, i think winmo will always be better. look at the sheer size of the developer community. i belong to three different websites devoted entirlely to the hacking winmo. thats something that will take android a long time to be able to say. just my opinion, of course.
Old 11-06-2009, 02:59 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Moto Droid

seanosaur is keeping up the good workseanosaur is keeping up the good workseanosaur is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by winmofreak View Post
personally, i think winmo will always be better. look at the sheer size of the developer community. i belong to three different websites devoted entirlely to the hacking winmo. thats something that will take android a long time to be able to say. just my opinion, of course.
you're right about the mass quantities backing winmo but that took YEARS to build. the android (and anything else that has to do with google) community is growing rapidly and not looking back. i'm still going to stick with winmo but this new phone has me (almost) back on the market.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 11-06-2009, 05:34 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Imagio
Carrier: VZN

the_passenger is just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by iclickjohn View Post
Stop and think about this.
So OK what do you get with Android?

hype and pretty much it.

I'll wait for version 3 or maybe 4.
Old 11-06-2009, 07:32 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Omnia i910

nitrous9200 is keeping up the good worknitrous9200 is keeping up the good worknitrous9200 is keeping up the good work

Android to me is just a modern version of Windows Mobile, very open and customizable in many different ways, but the aesthetics and visuals just look that much nicer and it operates more smoothly. I'd also think the development would be easier because the SDK is free and you don't need an expensive version of MS Visual Studio to create programs for it (unless you write in unmanaged code which is more time consuming). Plus it's got stellar Gmail/Google service integration, obviously. Other than that, WM works very well for me and there's no reason to change out. I'd rather wait until my upgrade in 2011 sometime and hop on the LTE bandwagon.
Old 11-06-2009, 08:05 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Motorola Droid

nerdherd is keeping up the good worknerdherd is keeping up the good work

Well, I got my Droid this morning and I'm really liking it so far Obviously my judgement can't be trusted at this point (everything new is awesome), but during the next 30 days I'm going to decide on whether I should keep it or not. After getting my Omnia to near perfection we'll have to see if this measures up. As soon as I got it all I did was type in my Gmail account and it synced up my e-mail, contacts, and calendar flawlessly. Unfortunately I can't say the same about the Omnia when I first got it. Also, I really like how they came out with a multimedia dock, it's sitting in there right now and makes a sweet clock/mp3 player/picture viewer/alarm clock while it's charging.

I'll probably start a post later on with a detailed comparison of the Omnia and the Droid once I get a better feel for things.
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM Other Manufacturers > Samsung Omnia