PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > Windows Mobile Development > Windows Mobile Applications

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-06-2006, 01:34 AM
Lurker

jhzafrani is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Pocket411 - Beta testers needed

Hello All,

One of the software packages that I missed the most when switching from a Blackberry to a Pocket PC was Berry411. For those of you who are not familiar, Berry411 is an application that allows users to find information very quickly. It is essentially an interface around Google's various services.

I decided to write an application and am releasing it as beta (more like alpha) for people to try out and let me know what they think. It is attached to this thread. Simply download the zip, extract the CAB file, place it on your Pocket PC and execute it to install the application.

When the application is run for the first time, it will ask the user to setup the three locations that the application will use. Those are home, work, and other. The format of the location can be anything from a full address to just a zip code. Only one location is required for the software to operate correctly. Once the initial configuration is done, the main screen of the application will be presented. To use, simply select the location (home is the default), enter the search term, and select from the search menu the type of search you would like to perform. All results are presented in Pocket IE.

This application requires the .Net Framework compact edition version 2.0 to be installed. Further, it is a Pocket PC app only and has only been tested with Pocket PC 2003 and Windows Mobile 5.0.

I would appreciate any feedback, suggestions, and reports of issues.

Thanks in Advanced,

Jim Zafrani
Attached Files
File Type: zip pocket411setup_160.zip (118.9 KB, 54 views) Click for barcode!
Old 10-06-2006, 01:37 AM
Founder & Owner
Pocket PC: iPhone XS Max
Carrier: Sprint

Wideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to Wideawake
sweet, thanks for posting it here with us, I will give this a try and move down to the Pocket PC Phone Developers Spot till final release.

Old 10-06-2006, 11:38 AM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro

bunnytrigger is keeping up the good workbunnytrigger is keeping up the good workbunnytrigger is keeping up the good work
Send a message via AIM to bunnytrigger Send a message via MSN to bunnytrigger Send a message via Yahoo to bunnytrigger Send a message via Skype™ to bunnytrigger
thank you dude, downloadind right now and fixing to test it

haven't you heard? corporations are the new government. They're constitutionally-exempt.

92% of teens have moved onto WoW. if you are part of the 8% that still play REAL games, copy n paste

Old 10-06-2006, 05:53 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

jhzafrani is a n00b
All,

Thanks for taking the time to evaluate the application. Attached is a new version which corrects issues with the reverse lookup list.

Thanks again,

Jim Zafrani
Attached Files
File Type: zip pocket411setup_132.zip (118.9 KB, 44 views) Click for barcode!
Old 10-06-2006, 11:14 PM
Founder & Owner
Pocket PC: iPhone XS Max

Wideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to Wideawake
Ok played with it alittle and here comes a few suggestions. First when I installed the newest version it added 2 icons to the program. Then after opening the program it ased me to set the default location. I set it, hit ok then it told me to set it again (is this the work location?) well anyway after that it poped up again, is it supposed too? I ended up hitting cancel to exit. after opening I first recognized its not set to ms standards. the left soft key should be one function with no menu...I mean it really doesn't matter much but that's what ms recommends. As far as that its setup pretty nice with some good functions for finding info quick.
~mike
Old 10-07-2006, 12:21 AM
Moderator/WMExperts Staff
Pocket PC: Pure, TP2, Snap, Ozone, Intrepid,Treo Pro

Malatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Yeah I've been using this app...well since yesterday (over at TC)! And it's quickly become one of my favorite apps.

Since it's runs on CF 2.0, which means it takes awhile to load up, I recommend to leave it running in the background so it's faster to call up when you need it. Seeing as it has a relatively small footprint, it should have little impact on RAM.

Power User Tip:
Going one step further, I only need this program when I'm out-n-about (as opposed to Home or Work) so I use my other favorite program PhoneAlarm to launch it automatically whenever I switch to my "Out" profile and to close when I switch to another. That way whenever I'm out in the city or in public and I'd really need to look up a movie time, restaurant, or other information, it's always there waiting for me.
Old 10-08-2006, 10:25 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Evo 4G

xclusiv_1 is a n00b
Send a message via AIM to xclusiv_1
so is this something that's safe to download and use as a final version?
Old 10-10-2006, 03:28 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro

ZaijiaN is becoming a PPCGeeks regularZaijiaN is becoming a PPCGeeks regularZaijiaN is becoming a PPCGeeks regularZaijiaN is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Sounds like a nifty program, Jim, i'll try it out when I get home.

Any chance I can get the source as well? I'm just starting to develop .netcf apps myself.
Old 02-13-2007, 03:36 PM
Lurker

Crash83 is a n00b
Love the app but heres my question, is there a possibility of using a different engine? rather than google maybe http://wap.switchboard.com/xhtml/index.asp? due to its usage of the white pages as well as the yellow pages?
Old 02-13-2007, 06:59 PM
The Enforcer
Pocket PC: Samsung Epic 4G, ViewSonic gTablet, BB Bold 9650

Pibe38 is a VIPPibe38 is a VIPPibe38 is a VIPPibe38 is a VIPPibe38 is a VIPPibe38 is a VIPPibe38 is a VIPPibe38 is a VIPPibe38 is a VIPPibe38 is a VIPPibe38 is a VIP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash83
Love the app but heres my question, is there a possibility of using a different engine? rather than google maybe http://wap.switchboard.com/xhtml/index.asp? due to its usage of the white pages as well as the yellow pages?
Unfortunately this thread has not been updated since October and the developer has not posted again.

At this moment, there's no development for this app. You may want to check our Software forum for the Windows Live Search client, it is an option to this app.

---
Don't forget to Search first!
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > Windows Mobile Development > Windows Mobile Applications