PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > General Windows Mobile Discussions > Legacy WM Devices > Palm Treo 800w

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2009, 04:40 PM
Lurker

mrdenial is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Closed USB thread

Can you guys point me to the threads where USB charging and 800w is talked about. Maybe I am dumb, but I couldn't find it.
Old 02-13-2009, 04:48 PM
Account Disabled
Pocket PC: HTC Shooter/Schubert 32GB
Carrier: T-Mobile

Dr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Re: Closed USB thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdenial View Post
Can you guys point me to the threads where USB charging and 800w is talked about. Maybe I am dumb, but I couldn't find it.
i don't know exactly what you're looking for but put "usb 800w" in your search box. good luck soldier.
Old 02-13-2009, 05:23 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

mrdenial is a n00b

On the last thread I created, I asked for the status on USB charging.

I have people who plug their phones into their USB ports on their laptops (any port), and the phone says it's charging, but the battery discharges. I have installed the USB charging update, but still doesn't work.

If this has been talked about before, then point me in the right direction.

If this is a duplicate thread, then point me to the thread the next time you close one, please...
Old 02-13-2009, 05:49 PM
In the state of confusion
Pocket PC: EVO ONE(M7), Galaxy S4
Carrier: Sprint

sanmanc is halfway to VIP status based on repsanmanc is halfway to VIP status based on repsanmanc is halfway to VIP status based on repsanmanc is halfway to VIP status based on repsanmanc is halfway to VIP status based on repsanmanc is halfway to VIP status based on repsanmanc is halfway to VIP status based on repsanmanc is halfway to VIP status based on repsanmanc is halfway to VIP status based on repsanmanc is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via AIM to sanmanc Send a message via MSN to sanmanc Send a message via Yahoo to sanmanc

Check this thread. No one mentions USB charging but if they are using the devices while plugged to the USB port it may be the same "issue."
Old 02-13-2009, 06:20 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: Treo Pro

rprockey is a n00b

Check if Sprint Navigation, or anything else that uses multiple radios, is running. USB charging does not deliver as much power as other sources and if your 800 is doing work that requires lots of power, the draw could out pace the supply.

Traveling cross country with my 800w for GPS, I learned that USB charging doesn't keep up with the drain of Sprint Navigation as my 800 slowly died. I was using one of those car aux to usb adaptors. I had to make a pit stop to Best Buy and bought the Motorola micro usb car charger. With the propper charger, I could run Sprint Navigation all day long.

Hope that helps.
Rockey
Old 02-13-2009, 07:21 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

mrdenial is a n00b

We pulled a phone out of the box, installed the USB update, plugged it into a computer USB port. Red light did not come on, but the charging icon did. Phone started at 60%, died at the end of the day. No phone calls, nothing. I just noticed that my computer works to charge phones, but the other one doesnt. Couldn't be activesync, could it? Am I showing my ignorance?
Old 02-13-2009, 09:24 PM
In the state of confusion
Pocket PC: EVO ONE(M7), Galaxy S4

sanmanc is halfway to VIP status based on repsanmanc is halfway to VIP status based on repsanmanc is halfway to VIP status based on repsanmanc is halfway to VIP status based on repsanmanc is halfway to VIP status based on repsanmanc is halfway to VIP status based on repsanmanc is halfway to VIP status based on repsanmanc is halfway to VIP status based on repsanmanc is halfway to VIP status based on repsanmanc is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via AIM to sanmanc Send a message via MSN to sanmanc Send a message via Yahoo to sanmanc

It's not activesync. I will sometimes use what ever computer is available to charge and I don't have this issue. I've never used a laptop to charge my phone though.
Old 02-16-2009, 01:02 PM
I love root
Pocket PC: HTC Hero

dannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIP

Check to see what the power output is on your laptop for each usb port and check to see if the computer is shutting off power to them to conserve the laptop's battery life. I checked both my towers and both my laptops and highest output I could find is 500mAh. That should be enough to charge the 800w under normal use, ie making phone calls or using as a modem. I use my 800w as a modem for 4-6 hours while at work and I have never seen it discharge while plugged in.
Lesson learned don't work on PPC while drinking.
Old 02-16-2009, 05:56 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

mrdenial is a n00b

So, the red led is one indicator that it's charging right? Right now, I have the phone plugged into a USB port on my monitor (one test of mine), and the red LED is not on.
The charging icon on the phone is on, but the battery is discharging. The phone is sitting there idle with no open apps.

I realize that the USB port on my dell 19" might not be enough power.

I've now gone to a port on a different laptop that is currently charging a 700wx, and the same thing. Red LED off, charging icon is on, phone says charging, but battery is discharging.

The last laptop that wasn't charging a phone didn't start charging until we installed Activesync.
Old 02-17-2009, 10:23 AM
I love root
Pocket PC: HTC Hero

dannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIP

Activesync shouldn't be a factor in it charging. I don't know why the led won't light up red to show its charging. I'd just take it back and demand they switch it out.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > General Windows Mobile Discussions > Legacy WM Devices > Palm Treo 800w