PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2 > Android On TP2
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-15-2011, 02:39 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Sprint

nerys is becoming a PPCGeeks regularnerys is becoming a PPCGeeks regularnerys is becoming a PPCGeeks regularnerys is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Free Memory Android TP2 ??

how much memory does my phone have? it seems the max (after I kill everything) at around 81mb

is this normal? way to get more? phone does not have more?

I got auto killer going (the good one that changes the built in app closure behaviour I just set all the values to 75mb and it seems to keep background apps under control

but curious if maybe frx07 is not using all of the phones memory for some reason or is the android footprint just that large? or is my phones memory just that small
Old 08-15-2011, 05:45 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro2

td4guy is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Re: Free Memory Android TP2 ??

The [[Speed Improvements]] Brainstorming & Testing Thread!! has a great explanation of Froyo's built-in memory management and automated task killing, and how to configure it.

And you've already posted in that thread.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 08-15-2011, 10:24 AM
Testing Extraordinaire
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2 (RHOD400)

arrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)

Indeed he has already posted in that thread, which I agree has a great explanation of how Android manages memory.

To answer the first question, Android has full use of all the RAM our hardware provides. Keep in mind some of the 288mb is taken for video memory (15mb I believe?)

Oh, and the way Linux uses memory is very different from Windows. This applies to Android and WinMo just the same. Apps in Android are held in memory until the need for more memory becomes required. Adjusting those minfree values is the way to determine when the system starts freeing up memory from what types of apps... I would encourage you give that thread a solid readthru.
Old 08-15-2011, 10:28 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Threadstarter

nerys is becoming a PPCGeeks regularnerys is becoming a PPCGeeks regularnerys is becoming a PPCGeeks regularnerys is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

and how much does android take. I thought the phone had almost 300mb. just wondering if having only 80mb left is normal or if there is something I can tweak.

I read all about the memory management and its dangers which is why I got auto killer. it does not kill apps it just tweaks the built in system that kills apps. ie I just increased the minimum memory. HUGE improvement in overall speed.

so if 15mb is for video and I have 81mb left over thats 96mb So android is using 192mb ??
Old 08-15-2011, 11:50 AM
Testing Extraordinaire

arrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the community

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerys View Post
and how much does android take. I thought the phone had almost 300mb. just wondering if having only 80mb left is normal or if there is something I can tweak.

I read all about the memory management and its dangers which is why I got auto killer. it does not kill apps it just tweaks the built in system that kills apps. ie I just increased the minimum memory. HUGE improvement in overall speed.

so if 15mb is for video and I have 81mb left over thats 96mb So android is using 192mb ??
Oy...

Android (and Linux) manage memory differently than WinMo/Windows. Obviously low memory conditions are never good, but the way it manages RAM is much more efficient. My thread just goes over how to tweak these values. You can set them to whatever you want, but if you just want apps to get killed right after you're done with them you're missing the point. If you're just looking at how much free memory you have, you're also missing the point. If things are running well, then that's a good thing. If things are running like crap, then maybe you should worry about how much memory is free. That's when you go tweak those values to see if you can improve anything.

I can't say if any of the apps you're using are good or not. From the sounds of it, you have them set to free up memory when it hits 75mb... so if you have 80 free that sounds like it's doing its job quite well. Linux will try to use any and all free RAM, that's the point that you seem to keep missing.
Old 08-15-2011, 12:03 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Threadstarter

ahh no actually your entirely missing my point.

if I only have 80mb of memory at my disposal then I can only "RUN" 80mb of programs at any one point in time.

I will reiterate my point which was in my opening post.

How much memory does my phone have. Got that 288mb.

is having 81mb free with no processes in the task manager running normal? YES OR NO.

if yes. End of line I need no more info. IF NO I would like to know why and what I need to fix.

its really that simple. I have no idea why your blowing it up.

I don't care how many background programs linux and android want to run as long as it does not slow it down FINE run whatever it feels like running. I don't care.

what is the threshold if any for android between bloated and smooth?

I know in my winmo side if I get below 45-50mb free memory the system gets REALLY sluggish even with NOTHING running.

so when clean ram can no longer get me over 45mb I "reboot" no big deal

SO some new questions.

DOES such a condition exist with android on the TP2. is there a threshold of get below this and system gets unstable (though so far its EXTREMELY efficient at maintaining a memory level free)

ie should I always strive to maintain X amount of memory free to keep things smooth or does that not apply with android??

I KNOW it applies to some extent since previously (yesterday) when I whacked those background applications the system performance IMPROVED.

the only reason to run an app in the background is two fold.

#1 to load it faster when its recalled
#2 its actually performing a background function

If I need NEITHER of those two it makes no sense to slow the system down running it.

Do you agree or not? if not why? will it not slow my system down running them?

I am new to android maybe I am wasting my time trying to clean up ram but IT DID make the system faster by a visibly significant amount.

even just "swiping" the screen left and right is now visibly smoother and faster.

so stopping those apps DID help.

but how much? ie would stopping half of them have been enough?

I don't know the answers to these questions. WHY spend hours experimenting and never knowing if my data is even valid when I can just ASK someone else who has already done all this and just learn from them.

I read the thread where task killers are a bad idea. SO I chose not to use them. instead I altered the built in systems killer threshold as suggested. works like a dream I am happy.

PLUS it improves battery life DRAMATICALLY.

ie my phone actually goes to SLEEP when I turn it off now. before the orange led stayed lit tell me its still "active" chewing up the battery.

I had no way of knowing why sometimes it worked and sometimes it did not. since I set the memory free such that pretty much all backgroud apps close not only is it faster but it almost 100% of the time goes to "green" proper sleep now.

so thats another plus.

Last edited by nerys; 08-15-2011 at 12:06 PM.
Old 08-15-2011, 12:24 PM
Testing Extraordinaire

I'm not going to quote your whole post, as it's ridiculous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerys
I don't know the answers to these questions. WHY spend hours experimenting and never knowing if my data is even valid when I can just ASK someone else who has already done all this and just learn from them.
No one does. It's different for everyone. I never looked - that's the point, what does it matter. If it starts getting sluggish, perhaps you need to tweak the values to be a little more aggressive. If you notice apps closing when they shouldn't, well then you've gone a little too aggressive. Don't look at the numbers, they're meaningless numbers. You seem to be fretting way too much about hard numbers, when in reality the number really does not matter. Does the system feel smooth/snappy? Then good. Does it feel sluggish/slow? Perhaps you need to make some adjustments. Don't over analyze it... Everyone's situation is different, and what someone is comfortable with someone else might not be. It's really up to you how much time and effort you want to put into it. I found some values that seem to work well. I have no clue how much free RAM I have at any given moment, but I don't really care so long as the UI experience is fluid.

Edit - moral of the story, Linux/Android is very efficient at managing memory (as I've said before). It respects the boundaries set by the system (that the user can adjust, see my other thread) and maintains them. No need for constant reboots to free up memory... That's Windows/WinMo thinking. Abandon it .

Last edited by arrrghhh; 08-15-2011 at 12:27 PM.
Old 08-15-2011, 12:29 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Threadstarter

well mine was NOT fluid. this typically means ram is running out. killing apps sped it up CONFIRM this suspicion.

and no everyone is not different. by and large we are all likely the same actually. FRX07 on a TP2. that gets about as specific as you can get at least until you start to customize. I figure to get it running well STOCK before I start heavily customizing.

not over analyzing. I was just CURIOUS. nothing more.

does it feel smooth? that is a nearly impossible to answer question. I can only compare it to existing experience.

is it smoother now than it was yesterday? YES. does that mean its as smooth as it can get? maybe but I have no idea.

HENCE I ask questions.
Old 08-15-2011, 12:45 PM
Testing Extraordinaire

It's really up to you whether it's acceptable or not.

If you think every single person has the exact same apps installed, the same number of apps installed, the same behavior in how they use those apps... you're insane.

My thread was to address the need to kill apps more aggressively than the default Android settings. Again, using app killers is usually not a good idea. Some have conformed to the standards of how to properly close apps, but others have not. I'd rather just avoid the whole debacle of worrying about whether an app killer is good or not and just condemn them all. Seriously, if you setup Android properly the need for an app killer disappears entirely...

Last edited by arrrghhh; 08-15-2011 at 12:49 PM.
Old 08-15-2011, 12:54 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Threadstarter

I have no idea what is acceptable. what is acceptable is the best I can get. am I there yet? how would I know.

I do and they do. FRX07 does not come with "options" we all get the same thing. if did you miss where I said clean install before customizing? it seems your missing these points that render your reply null and moot on purpose ???

I mean it was fully 40% of my entire post if not more let me quote it for you.

"and no everyone is not different. by and large we are all likely the same actually. FRX07 on a TP2. that gets about as specific as you can get at least until you start to customize. I figure to get it running well STOCK before I start heavily customizing."

MY thread. THIS thread was to address how much available ram is normal.

I don't use app killers. I read the threads detailing how those are a BAD IDEA (I told you this over and over and you keep ignoring it for some reason ???) so I used a program that adjust the android's built in app control system AS SUGGESTED. works great.

so let me tell you this again so you can understand me more clearly since you keep IGNORING ME.

I DO NOT AND NEVER HAVE HAD AN "APP KILLER" INSTALLED ON THIS DEVICE UNDER ANDROID.

is that clear enough for you?

if you don't think available ram is relevant then WHY are you arguing with me here?

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2 > Android On TP2