PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2 > Android On TP2
Register Community Search

Notices

View Poll Results: .
. 0 0%
. 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-04-2011, 11:56 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

Horace is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Question Why ban tiad8 but not arrrghhh?

There seems to be some favoritism going on here.

Saketkutta posted notice that a new tiad8 build was coming, but it was locked becuase:

"1) The OP must be the actual chef of the ROM here so he can support it."

Yet, arrrghhh routinely posts new kernels that are built by WisTilt2, WisTilt2 isn't here to support it.

Furthermore, arrrghhh's posts admit that he and WisTilt2 are violating the GPL: "there is no public GIT repo that this kernel code resides on".

I'm not knocking arrrghhh, I'm just trying to find out why the mods are playing favorites.

mod edit: removed poll because the builds in question contained warez and were against our rules no matter how you look at it.

-orangekid

Last edited by orangekid; 04-04-2011 at 12:46 PM.
Old 04-04-2011, 12:02 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: OnePlus 8 5G
Carrier: T-Mobile

demonlordoftheround can't get a higher reputation leveldemonlordoftheround can't get a higher reputation leveldemonlordoftheround can't get a higher reputation leveldemonlordoftheround can't get a higher reputation leveldemonlordoftheround can't get a higher reputation leveldemonlordoftheround can't get a higher reputation leveldemonlordoftheround can't get a higher reputation leveldemonlordoftheround can't get a higher reputation leveldemonlordoftheround can't get a higher reputation leveldemonlordoftheround can't get a higher reputation leveldemonlordoftheround can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 8.12; MSIEMobile6.0) Sprint T7380)

I guess the main reason is the kernals by wistilt2 are for testing purposes and not for distribution. Eventually what ever wistilt2 developes will be pushed for distribution.

Let it go my friend.
Old 04-04-2011, 12:09 PM
Testing Extraordinaire
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2 (RHOD400)

arrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Re: Why ban tiad8 but not arrrghhh?

Indeed, neither I nor WisTilt2 are not violating the GPL.

In addition, I don't think WisTilt2's test kernels would really count as a 'build'...

As orangekid stated, tiad8 can feel free to contact the admins here to see about getting his stuff posted up again - assuming he plays by the rules. I have always played by the rules, and I have been as transparent as I possibly can be. Others have not been so transparent about what is in their build...
Old 04-04-2011, 12:18 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro
Threadstarter

Horace is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrrghhh View Post
Indeed, neither I nor WisTilt2 are not violating the GPL.
I disagree. GPL2 Section 3 requires the source code to modifications to be made available. It makes no exception for testing.
Old 04-04-2011, 12:20 PM
Testing Extraordinaire
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2 (RHOD400)

arrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horace View Post
I disagree. GPL2 Section 3 requires the source code to modifications to be made available. It makes no exception for testing.
All of his code does get contributed back to the main tree - is there some requirement that it get contributed back immediately? Didn't think so.

Source code modifications therefore are being made available. He's also submitted all his recent patches to the mailing list, which will hopefully be integrated soon. Just seems like you're trying to stir stuff up. Where is tiad8's source code? Has he contributed a single freaking thing back to XDAndroid!?! Didn't think so, move along.
Old 04-04-2011, 12:43 PM
Awesomenss :)
Pocket PC: Google Hammerhead

orangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to orangekid Send a message via MSN to orangekid Send a message via Yahoo to orangekid

argh (dude you coulda picked an easier name to write on these forums) puts out ROMs and states what the kernel is and where it comes from. As he stated also wistilt's kernel code gets contributed to the main tree.

You also have to keep in mind that development is going so fast on this that to publish every single code change immediately would be kind of a pain, especially because it changes so fast that code published today could literally be outdated tomorrow.

AFAIK significant changes are published and all patches are published.

tiad8 has warez in his ROMs, then told me it was removed. Later, when I had the data.img mounted I found the same warez in the ROMs. Had this not happened he would not be banned and I would have just told him to immediately comply with GPL or at worst his ROMs would have been removed until they complied with GPL. AFAIK he didn't tell us which kernel he used or what he changed in the ROM.

If you ask argh what exactly he changed in his build in order to make something work he should tell you in a reasonable amount of time (as should any chef), it is not fair to ask a kernel developer to publish every single change immediately, but at the same time if patches and significant changes are not published in a reasonable amount of time then they will be removed just as tiad's builds were.

This has nothing to do with favoritism, I don't know any of these people personally and I don't care who puts out what ROMs as long as in reasonable time they comply with GPL.

instead of contacting an admin or super mod tiad had someone else put up a frankenstein ROM which only proves the point further because it was mislabeled as to what it was and no one knew what was even in it.

We have never allowed someone to host a ROM in development forums that they were not the chef of, it makes updating and supporting impossible.

The more ROMs the better as far as I'm concerned, but let's make sure there's no warez in it and let's make sure everyone knows what's in it.

If you ask wistilt or arg for kernel source and they don't provide published code for significant changes or patches or other necessary aspects in a reasonable amount of time let me know and I will remove the ROMs, but that does not appear to be the case.

moved to General as this does not belong in dev.

Last edited by orangekid; 04-04-2011 at 01:03 PM.
This post has been thanked 3 times.
Old 04-04-2011, 01:13 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2

siraloz is becoming a PPCGeeks regularsiraloz is becoming a PPCGeeks regularsiraloz is becoming a PPCGeeks regularsiraloz is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

I have always wondered: Do the Windows Mobile ROMs available here violate any kind of copyright stuff? I know, Android is open source, but ...

Please enlighten...
Old 04-04-2011, 01:26 PM

orangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the community
Send a message via AIM to orangekid Send a message via MSN to orangekid Send a message via Yahoo to orangekid

Quote:
Originally Posted by siraloz View Post
I have always wondered: Do the Windows Mobile ROMs available here violate any kind of copyright stuff? I know, Android is open source, but ...

Please enlighten...
it is law that you are allowed to modify the operating system on your phone. That is why you can jailbreak an iPhone and in the process you actually flash a modified ROM onto your phone that comes pre-jailbroken, the trick is always bypassing the bootloader. Same thing with winmo, you already purchased the device and are essentially modifying the OS on it by flashing NRG, etc...

there is no real "development" in winmo that goes on as far as kernel work goes, the builds are leaked, and the chefs build around it. we never get source code. When I cooked Diamond ROMs I'd have to wait for a new 6.5.x build and then incorporate it into my kitchen and update all my EXTs and make sure everything would jive.

linux is a whole different animal since we operate from source, and we have to write custom drivers and libs and kernels etc...

Last edited by orangekid; 04-04-2011 at 02:54 PM.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 04-04-2011, 02:14 PM
Super genious in training
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2

elesbb is halfway to VIP status based on repelesbb is halfway to VIP status based on repelesbb is halfway to VIP status based on repelesbb is halfway to VIP status based on repelesbb is halfway to VIP status based on repelesbb is halfway to VIP status based on repelesbb is halfway to VIP status based on repelesbb is halfway to VIP status based on repelesbb is halfway to VIP status based on repelesbb is halfway to VIP status based on repelesbb is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)

why the hell can't we all just get along ??? like holy cow ! drama drama drama !!!!
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 04-04-2011, 02:28 PM

I am going to go ahead and close the thread now.

I think all of the concerns have been responded to and handled for now.

If there is further concern on this feel free to PM myself or any supermod or admin.

I don't want any of this to distract from development on this awesome project.

In the end we all just want Android running as well as possible on the Pro2 and we need to just keep that in mind and have some fun with it
This post has been thanked 8 times.
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2 > Android On TP2