PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > Windows Mobile Software
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-15-2007, 11:58 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: 6700

james_7_07 is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Fax from phone?

Is there any software that you can use to send and receive faxes from PPC 6700?
Old 09-16-2007, 02:02 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro2
Carrier: Sprint

Karmashock is a n00b
apparently you can still send them but you can't receive them... there's some hardware block that prevents it.
Old 09-16-2007, 04:05 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Raphael (Touch Pro)

dlbrummels is keeping up the good workdlbrummels is keeping up the good work
Send a message via ICQ to dlbrummels Send a message via AIM to dlbrummels Send a message via MSN to dlbrummels Send a message via Yahoo to dlbrummels Send a message via Skype™ to dlbrummels
No, a PPC is not capable of being a fax modem, you will have to use a service like eFax and the like which sends them as emails with various types of attachments.
Old 09-16-2007, 04:16 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

Karmashock is a n00b
actually it is capable of it and old versions of the PPC could and DID function as fax machines able to send and receive faxes. Currently there are a few programs that will allow you to "send" faxes from the ppc but apparently there's now a hardware block that somehow prevents reception of faxes.

As the PPC is now more powerful then it's ever been in the past I think it likely that the machine is still "able" to do it minus the block.

Another possible reason why ppc's used to be able to do this and no longer can is that all the old ones "might" have had conventional modems built into them. But I find that unlikely. I think the modem was always software based.
Old 09-16-2007, 04:27 PM
Regular 'Geeker

Send a message via ICQ to dlbrummels Send a message via AIM to dlbrummels Send a message via MSN to dlbrummels Send a message via Yahoo to dlbrummels Send a message via Skype™ to dlbrummels
I am unaware of any ppc's that have fax modem capabilities and I have the original PPC6700 red logo.
Old 09-16-2007, 07:26 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

Karmashock is a n00b
type this into google "ppc fax"...
Old 09-16-2007, 07:43 PM
Regular 'Geeker

Means nothing, where is a working PPC fax program that sends faxs as fax tranmissions, that are not emails or attachments or use a 3rd party service?

http://pdaphonehome.com/forums/ppc-6...ax-6700-a.html

Last edited by dlbrummels; 09-16-2007 at 07:47 PM.
Old 09-16-2007, 07:52 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: 6700
Threadstarter

james_7_07 is a n00b
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karmashock View Post
actually it is capable of it and old versions of the PPC could and DID function as fax machines able to send and receive faxes. Currently there are a few programs that will allow you to "send" faxes from the ppc but apparently there's now a hardware block that somehow prevents reception of faxes.

As the PPC is now more powerful then it's ever been in the past I think it likely that the machine is still "able" to do it minus the block.

Another possible reason why ppc's used to be able to do this and no longer can is that all the old ones "might" have had conventional modems built into them. But I find that unlikely. I think the modem was always software based.
do you know of any software I can download? Or some way to turn my PPC into a modem to just send faxes then ?
Old 09-16-2007, 08:07 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

Karmashock is a n00b
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlbrummels View Post
Means nothing, where is a working PPC fax program that sends faxs as fax tranmissions, that are not emails or attachments or use a 3rd party service?

http://pdaphonehome.com/forums/ppc-6...ax-6700-a.html
No, I want you to go to google and type in PPC fax... you'll see in there a list of programs (about three or four in all) that were designed to send a fax transmittion over your phone line directly to a normal fax machine...

However, it is my understanding that most of these programs stopped working as of WM2003. Apparently there was some basic change in the OS that made the programs stop working and no one has figured out how to bypass the issue. You'll compatibility on them terminate at WM2002.

If you want a specific program then you can look to MfaxCE. The company that makes it has a version number up to 1.87a but won't give it to anyone but developers and distributors. The newest version I could find for download... ANYWHERE was 1.6

Whether the 1.87a version works with WM5 or WM6 is something I don't know.

In short all I'm saying is that this DID work at some point but has not in a long while for some reason. You're saying that you need a fax modem for this to work and I counter that if that is true then all the old phones must have had fax modems built into them... which is unlikely.
================================================== =====
james_7_07,
Honestly bro I'd not waste any more time on this... lots of people have been trying to get this feature and we've been out of luck for ages.

If you're really interested you can try here:
http://www.samtechnc.com/eng/introdu...mfax_intro.htm

Best of luck and let us know if you get it working... we'll crown you king for a day at the very least.
Old 09-16-2007, 08:21 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

Karmashock is a n00b
here you can buy the latest version:
http://www.mobiletopsoft.com/pocket-...ce-1-8-7b.html

but everyone is saying it's not working... this new version is supposed to be good up to WM2003. I've never seen this work but there are several companies selling products that claim to do it... so either they're all lying in some big scam or there's a compatibility problem... or it only works on special phones...

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > Windows Mobile Software