PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > Windows Mobile Software
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-18-2009, 11:12 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Mogul - PPC6800
Carrier: Sprint PCS

superbonbon is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
TXT / SMS Backup Program Request - Donation Ware

Fellow Geeks:

Today I updated my ROM. As usual, all the normal FAQs and rules of procedure made that procedure a breeze.

Unfortunately, four hours after I started, I have still not completed the updating of my TXT / SMS messages.

I don't have an enormous amount of texts, somewhere in the order of 5000, but I understand that my needs may not be the needs of the typical phone user.

Right now I bounce back and forth between PIM and MyPhone to get this done, but both of them are horribly lacking. If you disagree, I've got some great attic work for you that pays about $6 an hour.

My gripe is this: as far as I can ascertain, there's not more than five or ten megs of actual data being used. MyPhone and PIM both seem to do some comparing data method that requires each individual text to be logged as a normal transaction, ie: txt comes in, data gets analyzed, input is properly stored kind of workflow.

What I really want, is a program that's able to take a snapshot of my text messages and then restore that snapshot. And I'm willing to pay for it.

My optimal program:

• Fast. --> Has to be fast. Modern computing demands something be done in less than 5 minutes, IMHO.
  • Accurate. --> Neither MyPhone, nor PIM backup, do an accurate job of threading text messages. It's frustrating to see an SMS from August 17 following one from August 18.
  • Assumed State --> I'm not asking for the end-all-be-all of SMS backups. For example, I never restore TXTs before I sync my contacts. That's stupid. The program can assume a certain level of user and tailor it's experience to suit that user.
  • Offloaded computing --> Apparently, WM cannot handle the level of processing that is necessary to handle this amount of tabled data. Give me an option to take a set of data (or even better, merge MULTIPLE sets of data) and get a nice solid view of what I'm going to import before I do it.
  • Easy? --> But really, screw it, I'll bring up a command prompt and type the GD option flags in if I have to.

If this isn't the right place or there's something out there that does it already, let me know.

I LOATHE MY CURRENT TXT/SMS TRANSFER PROCEDURE AND WOULD PAY THIS MUCH TO MAKE IT BETTER:

$20 - SuperBonBon
Old 08-19-2009, 11:26 AM
ksg
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC TP2, TP1, Kaiser, Apache & HP iPAQ hx2495b
Carrier: Verizon (formerly Alltel)

ksg knows their stuffksg knows their stuffksg knows their stuffksg knows their stuffksg knows their stuffksg knows their stuff
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Thumbs up Re: TXT / SMS Backup Program Request - Donation Ware

Just throwing this out there..... SPB Backup allows you to backup (and restore) ONLY text messages if you specify that in the optional settings. You can have it back up as little or as much as you want. That's what I use.... http://www.spbsoftwarehouse.com/products/backup/?en

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > Windows Mobile Software

Tags
backup, myphone, pim, sms, txt