PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > Windows Mobile Software
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-17-2009, 08:28 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

regression is keeping up the good workregression is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Software Installation - PC vs Device

Hello, I hope this is the right section to post my question. My question isn't about a specific piece of software, but a general one on how software is installed.

Most software for the PPC comes as a cab you run from your device. Some software is an exe that you run from your Windows PC with your device attached. I can understand software like PdaNet that you must install from your PC, as there is a PC and device component.

However, some software, like SPB Screen Shot, doesn't have a PC component, however when I downloaded the software, all I could find is an exe to run from Windows.

Technically, is there an advantage to installing via a Windows PC? I'm not picking on SPB Screen Shot, but to me, it would seem much simpler to just give people a cab. I like to keep my PC as "clean" as possible, but I have a few programs on there I never use. They get put in the start menu and add / remove programs list when I install PPC software from my desktop.

Thanks.
Old 08-17-2009, 08:34 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Evo 4G

jason25 is halfway to VIP status based on repjason25 is halfway to VIP status based on repjason25 is halfway to VIP status based on repjason25 is halfway to VIP status based on repjason25 is halfway to VIP status based on repjason25 is halfway to VIP status based on repjason25 is halfway to VIP status based on repjason25 is halfway to VIP status based on repjason25 is halfway to VIP status based on repjason25 is halfway to VIP status based on repjason25 is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Re: Software Installation - PC vs Device

I never really understood that either, but you can still get the cab file if you so choose to:

for me I would just navigate on my pc to C:\Program Files\Microsoft ActiveSync and go to whatever folder I want for the cab. You could also just do a search for *.cab on your C:

Old 08-17-2009, 08:55 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason25 View Post
I never really understood that either, but you can still get the cab file if you so choose to:

for me I would just navigate on my pc to C:\Program Files\Microsoft ActiveSync and go to whatever folder I want for the cab. You could also just do a search for *.cab on your C:
I didn't have any cab files in my "C:\Program Files\Microsoft ActiveSync" directory. If I did, wouldn't that mean I would have to run the exe (ie, installing it) on my PC?

I have tried opening the exe in a zip program like 7-zip, hoping I would see a cab, but no such luck.

Hopefully someone can chime in and explain the logic behind the different installation methods...

Thanks.
Old 08-17-2009, 10:40 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: EPIC

Unknown Zone is a VIPUnknown Zone is a VIPUnknown Zone is a VIPUnknown Zone is a VIPUnknown Zone is a VIPUnknown Zone is a VIPUnknown Zone is a VIPUnknown Zone is a VIPUnknown Zone is a VIPUnknown Zone is a VIPUnknown Zone is a VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by regression View Post
I didn't have any cab files in my "C:\Program Files\Microsoft ActiveSync" directory. If I did, wouldn't that mean I would have to run the exe (ie, installing it) on my PC?

Thanks.
"Cabs" files need to xfer to the phone and installed for there.

"Exe" files...can either be installed from the PC or the Phone it is a hit and miss.....you will know which deivce it need to be xfer to for installation/running of the program....if you get an error then it needs to be xfer install/run on the other device...vice versa.
Don't just say "Thanks"....give
Old 08-17-2009, 10:42 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown Zone View Post
"Cabs" files need to xfer to the phone and installed for there.

"Exe" files...can either be installed from the PC or the Phone it is a hit and miss.....you will know which deivce it need to be xfer to for installation/running of the program....if you get an error then it needs to be xfer install/run on the other device...vice versa.
Thanks. But do you know the rationale for a developer to create an exe vs a cab? What are the technical considerations?
Old 08-17-2009, 10:49 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: EPIC

Unknown Zone is a VIPUnknown Zone is a VIPUnknown Zone is a VIPUnknown Zone is a VIPUnknown Zone is a VIPUnknown Zone is a VIPUnknown Zone is a VIPUnknown Zone is a VIPUnknown Zone is a VIPUnknown Zone is a VIPUnknown Zone is a VIP

I really dont know the meaning behind exe/cab maybe some coding....have you done a google on it...

something like "cab vs exe"?
Old 08-18-2009, 07:17 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Evo 4G

jason25 is halfway to VIP status based on repjason25 is halfway to VIP status based on repjason25 is halfway to VIP status based on repjason25 is halfway to VIP status based on repjason25 is halfway to VIP status based on repjason25 is halfway to VIP status based on repjason25 is halfway to VIP status based on repjason25 is halfway to VIP status based on repjason25 is halfway to VIP status based on repjason25 is halfway to VIP status based on repjason25 is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by regression View Post

I have tried opening the exe in a zip program like 7-zip, hoping I would see a cab, but no such luck.

Hopefully someone can chime in and explain the logic behind the different installation methods...

Thanks.

There should be some sub-folders under Microsoft ActiveSync, i.e. I installed Adobe PDF viewer 2.0 and since it was an exe, I needed to install via AS. I have a folder at C:\Program Files\Microsoft ActiveSync\Adobe and there is a cab there now that I just transferred to my card so the next time I need to install it I can just install the cab file from my card.
Old 08-18-2009, 11:50 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 3D

gimme5 is becoming a PPCGeeks regulargimme5 is becoming a PPCGeeks regulargimme5 is becoming a PPCGeeks regulargimme5 is becoming a PPCGeeks regulargimme5 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Send a message via MSN to gimme5

I never really got it either. Perhaps they offer it via the PC for tech support reasons? It may be easier to just connect your phone to your PC and launch an install file for most inexperienced customers. I know when I first got a WM device years ago, I was like "cab? HTH do I install that?". I think the best is to just offer both.

MobileSpeedtest.com (yes, that's my site)
Old 08-18-2009, 01:02 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: TP2 & EVO

BenC knows their stuffBenC knows their stuffBenC knows their stuffBenC knows their stuffBenC knows their stuffBenC knows their stuff

It really is about the experience level and what people find the easiest way to get things done. Many people with PPC devices use ActiveStynk to sync/connect to their device. Utilizing an installation method that follows the same steps removes a level of confusion when it comes to actually copying the application to the device. Notice that after the application has been copied to the device that the option to install to main memory or the card is provided. Many places that provide CAB files do so with the note similar to, "to download directly to the device."
Old 08-18-2009, 06:20 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Carrier: Alltel

Thursday is keeping up the good workThursday is keeping up the good work

Lately I have been able to right click on the exe and choose to extract with 7zip. It then extracts the contents to a folder where you will find a .cab.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > Windows Mobile Software