PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > Windows Mobile Software
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-12-2009, 10:32 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro, Dell Axim 51v
Carrier: MetroPCS

fdbryant3 is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: A good GPS program...

Quote:
The main reason why Garmin Mobile XT is superior to AmazeGPS is that you don't have to have live internet connection at all like you do in AmazeGPS. Let's be honest. While going through highways, our internet does not always stay on and thus, with AmazeGPS requiring Internet connection at all times, that's a problem.
Actually AmazeGPS has a arrows mode that doesn't require the always on Internet connection. Basically instead of tracking you on a map it just shows you an arrow with the direction of your next turn (as well road name, distance, etc). So, long as you don't need to re-route you can drive to your location without need an Internet connection.

Basically I assume though the OP is looking at legally free options. If money isn't an issue I'd recommend iGuidance. I can't remember the reasons why but I had Garmin XT and iGuidance for a while and ultimately ended up removing Garmin.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 08-12-2009, 10:53 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro, Dell Axim 51v
Carrier: MetroPCS

fdbryant3 is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Redneck3100 View Post
I just tried that today...I feel like a retard now... I put my destination and got the directions...started driving...then remembered "oh yeah, the little blue dot for my location" and POOF...it showed where I was and started tracking from there lol....I apologize to those who I confused, as all of ya'lls information was correct...Sorry guys!!!! But, its part of why we are all here right? To help each other...thank god everyone is forgiving hahahaha..
I wouldn't sweat it. To be honest I think Google Maps is an overrated program that gets as much hype as it does because it is from Google (and to be fair I do love Google products, but they need to work on this one). Honestly, why I should I need to tell the program to track me, maybe I might want to turn that off but I would think it would be on by default. The lack of audio prompts also bugs me. Seriously I can forgive not having voice prompts (although if AmazeGPS can do it why not Google) but is having a chime or maybe a series of chimes to indicate your turn is coming up a difficult programming challenge. I have a couple of other complaints but mostly boils down to I found I had to do a lot of fiddling with it while I as driving if I wanted to be a useful GPS guidance program and that isn't a good thing.

Glad you got it figured out but if you want my advice check out some of the other free options like AmazeGPS (or Bing, or Nav4All) - its free what do you have to lose. Google makes good stuff but not always the best.
Old 08-13-2009, 05:29 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 4G
Carrier: Sprint
Threadstarter

Big Redneck3100 is halfway to VIP status based on repBig Redneck3100 is halfway to VIP status based on repBig Redneck3100 is halfway to VIP status based on repBig Redneck3100 is halfway to VIP status based on repBig Redneck3100 is halfway to VIP status based on repBig Redneck3100 is halfway to VIP status based on repBig Redneck3100 is halfway to VIP status based on repBig Redneck3100 is halfway to VIP status based on repBig Redneck3100 is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to Big Redneck3100

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdbryant3 View Post
I wouldn't sweat it. To be honest I think Google Maps is an overrated program that gets as much hype as it does because it is from Google (and to be fair I do love Google products, but they need to work on this one). Honestly, why I should I need to tell the program to track me, maybe I might want to turn that off but I would think it would be on by default. The lack of audio prompts also bugs me. Seriously I can forgive not having voice prompts (although if AmazeGPS can do it why not Google) but is having a chime or maybe a series of chimes to indicate your turn is coming up a difficult programming challenge. I have a couple of other complaints but mostly boils down to I found I had to do a lot of fiddling with it while I as driving if I wanted to be a useful GPS guidance program and that isn't a good thing.

Glad you got it figured out but if you want my advice check out some of the other free options like AmazeGPS (or Bing, or Nav4All) - its free what do you have to lose. Google makes good stuff but not always the best.
I agree...I like the fact that you can look up a lot of usefull things on google, but its too much of a hassel doin this while driving...bing is good too, but again, a lot to do while driving...Im looking at the Garmin Mobile XT and it seems that this may be my best option...Im gonna do the trial and see if I want to save up the $100 to buy it...from what everyone says, its the best one to go with, but we all learn here and thats why Im asking all my peers here

When life gives you lemons...find someone whos life gave them tequilla and have a party!!!!

If I've helped you in any way, please hit the button, I surely appreciate it!!!!!

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > Windows Mobile Software