PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > Windows Mobile Software
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-28-2009, 02:30 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 4G
Carrier: Sprint

letsgoflyers81 is keeping up the good workletsgoflyers81 is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to letsgoflyers81
Outlook Email Scheduler - Gmail IMAP Push!

I just installed the newest version of Outlook E-mail Scheduler and it's working perfectly on my Touch Pro with Gmail IMAP. With the service running Outlook downloads mail within seconds of it being sent. I had been using another app called IMAP Pusher Service previously but it was very flaky and was no longer being supported or updated. I think this is the closest we're going to get to push Gmail unless they add mail support for Exchange.

Last edited by letsgoflyers81; 06-28-2009 at 02:32 PM.
Old 06-29-2009, 02:50 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: TP

elosogrande7076 is keeping up the good workelosogrande7076 is keeping up the good work
Re: Outlook Email Scheduler - Gmail IMAP Push!

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgoflyers81 View Post
I just installed the newest version of Outlook E-mail Scheduler and it's working perfectly on my Touch Pro with Gmail IMAP. With the service running Outlook downloads mail within seconds of it being sent. I had been using another app called IMAP Pusher Service previously but it was very flaky and was no longer being supported or updated. I think this is the closest we're going to get to push Gmail unless they add mail support for Exchange.
Sounds great.....how did u set it up to get push? also how is the battery life with this on?
Old 06-29-2009, 08:06 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

letsgoflyers81 is keeping up the good workletsgoflyers81 is keeping up the good work

In the config app make sure you set the start and stop time. By default it starts at 12am and stops at 12pm. I set mine to start at 12:00:00am and end at 11:59:59pm for week and weekend that way it's always on. Under the IMAP tab enable IMAP IDLE and check Hide Form. That's all I did to change the default settings, aside from entering my credentials. My wife installed it on her Touch Pro as well and it's working for her too. I can't give a good estimate on battery life yet.

I only installed it over the weekend and it's hard for me to judge battery life since I'm not sure what my average usage is on the weekend. But we'll see what happens over the next couple days. I previously had Outlook polling for mail every 30 minutes.
Old 06-29-2009, 10:03 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: TP

elosogrande7076 is keeping up the good workelosogrande7076 is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgoflyers81 View Post
In the config app make sure you set the start and stop time. By default it starts at 12am and stops at 12pm. I set mine to start at 12:00:00am and end at 11:59:59pm for week and weekend that way it's always on. Under the IMAP tab enable IMAP IDLE and check Hide Form. That's all I did to change the default settings, aside from entering my credentials. My wife installed it on her Touch Pro as well and it's working for her too. I can't give a good estimate on battery life yet.

I only installed it over the weekend and it's hard for me to judge battery life since I'm not sure what my average usage is on the weekend. But we'll see what happens over the next couple days. I previously had Outlook polling for mail every 30 minutes.

Cool, thanks....ill try it out now....been looking for something that i could do push that is easy and easy on battery life since my TP battery sucks already.
Old 06-29-2009, 10:07 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

This is push, but it's IMAP with IDLE which is different than Exchange. I can't comment on which has better battery life because I haven't done much testing. But look at it this way. If you set your device to look for mail every hour and you actually receive mail every 10 minutes, then push will use more battery life because it'll connect and download every 10 minutes instead of once an hour. But if you have your phone set to download every 10 minutes and you only get mail once an hour, then push will save battery life because it's not connecting every 10 minutes when there isn't any mail.
Old 06-29-2009, 12:10 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: EVO 4G

armorforsleep is becoming a great contributor
Send a message via AIM to armorforsleep

Does this allow you to set up two Gmail accounts with push?
Old 06-29-2009, 12:18 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

I don't know, but I don't see why not. The program sees my Gmail account as well as my Sprint Picture Mail account so it very well may see more than one Gmail account. Might as well give it a try and see what happens.
Old 06-29-2009, 01:22 PM
The Pusher
Pocket PC: Samsung Omnia i910
Carrier: Verizon

Adrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the community

I tried it and liked it, but I ended up doing a hard reset after installing it, soft resetting, and being stuck on the 6.5 loading screen.
Old 06-29-2009, 05:24 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: EVO 4G

armorforsleep is becoming a great contributor
Send a message via AIM to armorforsleep

So it didn't work with your 6.5 ROM?? Who's were you using?
Old 06-30-2009, 05:15 AM
The Pusher
Pocket PC: Samsung Omnia i910
Carrier: Verizon

Adrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the community

My own rom.

It worked, but when I soft reset, it was game over.

Could have been a fluke.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > Windows Mobile Software