PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > Windows Mobile Software
Register Community Search

Notices

View Poll Results: What is the worst browser ever?
Skyfire 15 8.57%
Opera Mini 10 5.71%
Opera mobile 15 8.57%
Mach5 13 7.43%
Bolt 8 4.57%
Fennec 31 17.71%
Picsel 10 5.71%
PIE 63 36.00%
IE6 36 20.57%
?????? Other 19 10.86%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 175. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-19-2009, 01:46 PM
MikeElGiga23

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Re: What is the WORST browser ever?!?

heres my take on the browsers i have tried

Opera Mobile.....

UPS = Best overall browser, nice finger friendly interface, speed is getting better, auto text reformat, smooth scrolling and zoom, download manager

DOWNS = however its way buggy with flash content and somewhat of a memory hog

Skyfire.....

UPS = Fast, full flash support..... thats it.

DOWNS = Sharpness leaves much to be desired (blurry rendering overall), no true VGA support, slow rendering while panning, slow scrolling, annoying big bold text in messaging sites, annoying zoom

IE8..... (isnt IE6 thew one in the palm pro and IE8 in WM6.5????)

UPS = Very nice page rendering, stable flash support, auto text reformat

DOWNS = slow and laggy

Picsel.....

UPS = Best looking browser of them all when it comes to UI, smoothness, animations, zoom

DOWNS = Thats just it... it looks awesome but page rendering is really inaccurate (cut off, blank pages, etc.) no download support, no flash, really slow etc. (its the best to show off to your buddies but other than that its useless)

Opera Mini.....

UPS = fast fast fast, easy readble text, best for quick browsing and forums

DOWNS = no flash, no downloads (that i know of) originally made for dumbphones so not very useful except for quick browsing and reading

NetFront
..... (sorry no review, hated it and uninstalled in less than 5 minutes)

UCWEB
..... (same as above)

Mach5

UPS = Lots of potential, flash support with its own player, smoother and better rendering than skyfire, VGA support, fast

DOWNS = trial only for now, hong kong servers

Fennec..... (LOL)

PIE.....

UPS = great for mobile site browsing (thats it)

DOWNS = slow slow slow, keyhole view of the web, lots of delays, no panning support, horrible UI

Iris.....

UPS = Slightly faster than opera, smooth scrolling and zoom, best page rendering of all the above (accurate and sharp) stable flash support, mouse cursor, text reformat

DOWNS = No adjustable zoom, zoom delays when text reformat is on, needs a major UI makeover (no finger friendly and easy access controls) memory hog, no real full screen mode

Best Browsers IMO

1- Opera Mobile (best overall)
2- Iris (very very close second)

Worst

1- PIE (glad that fase of WinMo is over)
2- Fennec (i know its alpha but thats an embarrasment)

Hope this helps.............

Last edited by MikeElGiga23; 05-19-2009 at 01:53 PM.
Old 05-19-2009, 08:03 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Droid
Carrier: Verizon

Elite Precision is keeping up the good workElite Precision is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

fennec has got my vote as the worst due to slow development and a disaster of an alpha release. what garbage! Ie6 is a let down as well.
Old 05-19-2009, 08:16 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Sprint

x10guy is halfway to VIP status based on repx10guy is halfway to VIP status based on repx10guy is halfway to VIP status based on repx10guy is halfway to VIP status based on repx10guy is halfway to VIP status based on repx10guy is halfway to VIP status based on repx10guy is halfway to VIP status based on repx10guy is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhw549 View Post
I'm quite surprised no one has said this yet, Minimo... Without a doubt the worst browser ever to waste space on my PPC...
+1 on Minimo..
For all those voting for PIE... I bet none of them ever used Minimo.
Old 05-20-2009, 11:14 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Samsung IP-830 HTC 6800(mogul) HTC 6900 (Vouge) HTC Fuze
Carrier: ALLTEL/Verizon Vogue 6.5 and AT&T EnergyROM 3.0
Threadstarter

rdavidsmith is halfway to VIP status based on reprdavidsmith is halfway to VIP status based on reprdavidsmith is halfway to VIP status based on reprdavidsmith is halfway to VIP status based on reprdavidsmith is halfway to VIP status based on reprdavidsmith is halfway to VIP status based on reprdavidsmith is halfway to VIP status based on reprdavidsmith is halfway to VIP status based on reprdavidsmith is halfway to VIP status based on reprdavidsmith is halfway to VIP status based on reprdavidsmith is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by x10guy View Post
+1 on Minimo..
For all those voting for PIE... I bet none of them ever used Minimo.
I used it and laughed the whole time i used minimo even as i uninstalled it... On a different note...what scares me is...im not sure what they were doing to fennec for all that time. Was it a delayed April fools joke? Somebody said "oh that because its an Alpha"...lol oh that makes it ok. No that company is too large and well funded to put out such filth. I mean this browser was on the table a long time...

IF I WAS HELPFUL HIT THE BUTTON!!
Old 05-20-2009, 01:37 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Diamond CDMA
Carrier: Telus

Soaa- is becoming a PPCGeeks regularSoaa- is becoming a PPCGeeks regularSoaa- is becoming a PPCGeeks regularSoaa- is becoming a PPCGeeks regularSoaa- is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quit bashing Fennec. You're all irritating.

Compare the WinMo development atmosphere with the open source atmosphere Firefox was born in. The browser was never made to be mobile in the first place. Add to that the fact that there aren't many competent WinMo developers either, as well as the fact that a company that strives on open source does NOT have unlimited resources... I'd say they're doing a pretty fine job at it.

On top of that, do you people even know what the difference between alpha and beta is? Alpha software is meant to be unfinished. That's the nature of it. Don't expect miracles.

Give it some time.
Old 05-20-2009, 01:37 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: rooted DroidX/leaked 2.2

jmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the community

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike20pr View Post

Opera Mini.....

UPS = fast fast fast, easy readble text, best for quick browsing and forums

DOWNS = no flash, no downloads (that i know of) originally made for dumbphones so not very useful except for quick browsing and reading

Maybe I'm wrong, but I could swear I DL'ed something on OperaMini yesterday??

I LOVE Mini, it what I use 99% of the time. I HATE Skyfire & ONLY use it if nothing else works.

~John
Old 05-20-2009, 01:42 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: rooted DroidX/leaked 2.2

jmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the community

I just tried it & Opera Mini 4.2 DL's just fine.......

~John
Old 05-20-2009, 01:57 PM
MikeElGiga23

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmorton10 View Post
I just tried it & Opera Mini 4.2 DL's just fine.......

~John
thanx man, i wasnt sure if it could be done or not so thats why i didnt say it straight up.
Old 05-20-2009, 07:07 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro

petermg is becoming a PPCGeeks regularpetermg is becoming a PPCGeeks regularpetermg is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by cozboogie View Post
Bolt or Netfront. If I have to pick one I'd go with Bolt....no wait Netfront....no....Bolt....

late,
Coz

Netfront concept version ROCKS! I think teashark is pretty bad, in fact, I've never been able to get it to work at all. JB5 looked promising until you try to do things like log into websites. Seems like it's cookies are messed up. My fav and most often used one is opera mini. But for full javascript compatibility I use operamobile, even though most of the others will work. I like the gui for OperaMobile. I also like Iris, but I think I like OperaMobile the best for fully compatible browsers. People complain about flash, blah blah blah, but if I want to watch youtube I have seperate apps for that. Never been an issue for me.
Old 05-20-2009, 07:09 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro

petermg is becoming a PPCGeeks regularpetermg is becoming a PPCGeeks regularpetermg is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmorton10 View Post
Maybe I'm wrong, but I could swear I DL'ed something on OperaMini yesterday??

I LOVE Mini, it what I use 99% of the time. I HATE Skyfire & ONLY use it if nothing else works.

~John

Correct, I download from OperaMini all the time. It's worked since 3.0 or maybe even 2 I believe. I also hate skyfire even though many swear by it. I just don't see why anyone would want to view flash in a mobile browser. I always use WVD or youtubeplay or some other such app for viewing flash. To each his own I guess.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > Windows Mobile Software