PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > Windows Mobile Software
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-04-2009, 10:17 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

regression is keeping up the good workregression is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Live Search - looking up street addresses

OK, I can't believe I'm asking this question, but in Windows Live Search, how do you search for a street address??? I open the app, in the search box I type the street number and name, in the location I put the city and state, and it never finds the address! I can type a business name, and it finds that just fine. There has to be something obvious I am over looking....
Old 05-04-2009, 10:26 PM
Moderator/WMExperts Staff
Pocket PC: Pure, TP2, Snap, Ozone, Intrepid,Treo Pro

Malatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Re: Live Search - looking up street addresses

Quote:
Originally Posted by regression View Post
OK, I can't believe I'm asking this question, but in Windows Live Search, how do you search for a street address??? I open the app, in the search box I type the street number and name, in the location I put the city and state, and it never finds the address! I can type a business name, and it finds that just fine. There has to be something obvious I am over looking....
lol, it's actually a good question! I'm curious too. Seems the most simple things MS makes the more difficult. I usually just use Google Maps for this task but would be curious if others have any ideas...
Old 05-04-2009, 10:31 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
lol, it's actually a good question! I'm curious too. Seems the most simple things MS makes the more difficult. I usually just use Google Maps for this task but would be curious if others have any ideas...
Yeah, the only reason I'm using this instead of Google Maps, is for some reason, Google Maps puts the address in the wrong spot! When I search on local.live.com it is correct, so I'm hoping Live Search (if it can actually find the address) will be correct also.....
Old 05-05-2009, 11:45 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Samsung Epix
Carrier: AT&T

ianderson_76 is just getting started
Send a message via MSN to ianderson_76 Send a message via Yahoo to ianderson_76

Quote:
Yeah, the only reason I'm using this instead of Google Maps, is for some reason, Google Maps puts the address in the wrong spot! When I search on local.live.com it is correct, so I'm hoping Live Search (if it can actually find the address) will be correct also.....
Same problem here, and it is quite frustrating since Live Search is supposed to be such a great app. It keeps saying that it can not find the address near, where I am currently. Well, of course not since the address is entered is across town. This needs to be worked out, but I'll keep with inconsistent Google.
Old 05-05-2009, 11:58 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Moto Droid
Carrier: Verizon

JonV is keeping up the good workJonV is keeping up the good workJonV is keeping up the good work

Do you NEVER have success looking up addresses? Or is it hit and miss? I don't recall having trouble but I just tried two random addresses and both were found.

I'm using the format "123 anystreet road, cityname, st". Live search version is 4.5.3129.0.
Old 05-05-2009, 01:27 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: Touch Pro

Gearhead01 is just getting started

I have the same problem. I try to enter an address in the search window or through the Change Location option and it comes back with "We couldn't find any results for (new location) near (current location)." I can find a business by name or type near my current location just fine, but I can't get Live Search to recognize an address.
Old 05-05-2009, 01:42 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

Well, I am glad I wasn't overlooking the obvious. It is hard to believe there isn't any easy way to do such a simple task.
Old 05-05-2009, 02:42 PM
Regular 'Geeker

JonV is keeping up the good workJonV is keeping up the good workJonV is keeping up the good work

One more time: what format are you using for the address?

I just typed "1060 w. addison street, chicago, il" and my Live Search found it just fine.

What am I doing differently then you?

For bonus points, whose address is that?
Old 05-05-2009, 02:49 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonV View Post
One more time: what format are you using for the address?

I just typed "1060 w. addison street, chicago, il" and my Live Search found it just fine.

What am I doing differently then you?

For bonus points, whose address is that?
When I search for that, it just returns me to the main screen and changes the location to "1060 w. addison street, chicago, il". It never shows it on a map. I am using the same version you listed in your post above.
Old 05-05-2009, 04:07 PM
Regular 'Geeker

Quote:
When I search for that, it just returns me to the main screen and changes the location to "1060 w. addison street, chicago, il". It never shows it on a map. I am using the same version you listed in your post above.
I thought that was a "success" on the search. It changes the location for you and if you click Map you see that location flagged for you.

Gearhead, who said he had the "same problem", quoted the search failing with "We couldn't any results...".

My point is that I'm not seeing a problem searching for an address. Searches seem successful and changes the location to that address. From there I can get a map or directions or gas prices, etc. Perhaps I missed the point of the thread. It seems to "find" addresses OK.
This post has been thanked 1 times.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > Windows Mobile Software