PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > Windows Mobile Software
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2009, 09:51 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

Gearhead01 is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Sprint Telenav - Any way to improve ETA accuracy?

I recently started using Sprint's Telenav on my Touch Pro. Yesterday I used it to map out a 400 mile trip. Having made the trip before, I knew it should take me about 6 1/2 hours. When I set up the trip in Telenav it came back with an ETA of nearly 8 hours. Now, I realize that I have an issue with not adhering to the posted speed limit very well, but is there any way to tell Telenav this so it can base my ETA on my driving style. For instance, can I tell Telenav that I normally run 7 mph over the speed limit and have it calculate the ETA based on this information?

On yesterday's trip, the ETA continually decreased as I went (as expected) and eventually matched up with my actual trip length of 6 hours 35 minutes. Sure would be nice if it was closer to the actual when I started my trip.
Old 04-09-2009, 10:33 AM
Shop smart, shop S-MART!!
Pocket PC: Evolte, Gnex

themuffinman is a VIPthemuffinman is a VIPthemuffinman is a VIPthemuffinman is a VIPthemuffinman is a VIPthemuffinman is a VIPthemuffinman is a VIPthemuffinman is a VIPthemuffinman is a VIPthemuffinman is a VIPthemuffinman is a VIP
Re: Sprint Telenav - Any way to improve ETA accuracy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead01 View Post
I recently started using Sprint's Telenav on my Touch Pro. Yesterday I used it to map out a 400 mile trip. Having made the trip before, I knew it should take me about 6 1/2 hours. When I set up the trip in Telenav it came back with an ETA of nearly 8 hours. Now, I realize that I have an issue with not adhering to the posted speed limit very well, but is there any way to tell Telenav this so it can base my ETA on my driving style. For instance, can I tell Telenav that I normally run 7 mph over the speed limit and have it calculate the ETA based on this information?

On yesterday's trip, the ETA continually decreased as I went (as expected) and eventually matched up with my actual trip length of 6 hours 35 minutes. Sure would be nice if it was closer to the actual when I started my trip.
I don't think its possible to do that. All its doing is calculating your average mph to give you an estimated time of arrival(ETA) to your distance. So if you start out in the city going at a much slower pace than on the highway at a much faster pace then your ETA will gradually decrease and of course I know you already know this as well, but this way is really and truly the most accurate way.

Last edited by themuffinman; 04-09-2009 at 10:39 AM.
Old 04-11-2009, 03:35 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: Touch Pro
Threadstarter

Gearhead01 is just getting started

I'm pretty sure the ETA is based on posted speed limits, with possibly some adjustments for real-time traffic. When you set up a new route, it automatically calculates an ETA, even if you aren't moving, so I don't think the current average speed is part of the calculation. I could be wrong, though.

Any other thoughts or suggestions?
Old 04-11-2009, 03:41 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: EVO

lordhelmet is becoming a great contributor

I would venture to guess that average speed IS part of the equation. Otherwise you would not get a change in ETA as you move. Because it does increase and decrease based on speed... as far as the original question, you would probably have to write your own program to establish the settings you want.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > Windows Mobile Software