PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > Windows Mobile Software
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2009, 06:33 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

speck is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Opera Mobile and Opera Mini - both?

Can I install and use both Opera Mobile and Opera Mini? I have the CDMA HTC Touch Pro.

Also - I want to upgrade to the newest Opera Mobile - do I need to uninstall the current one?
Old 01-17-2009, 06:46 PM
LMG - GEEK, VIP!!!
Pocket PC: HTC TP Pro 2 (From HTC Touch Diamond)

lawmangrant is halfway to VIP status based on replawmangrant is halfway to VIP status based on replawmangrant is halfway to VIP status based on replawmangrant is halfway to VIP status based on replawmangrant is halfway to VIP status based on replawmangrant is halfway to VIP status based on replawmangrant is halfway to VIP status based on replawmangrant is halfway to VIP status based on replawmangrant is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via AIM to lawmangrant Send a message via MSN to lawmangrant Send a message via Yahoo to lawmangrant Send a message via Skype™ to lawmangrant
Re: Opera Mobile and Opera Mini - both?

Quote:
Originally Posted by speck View Post
Can I install and use both Opera Mobile and Opera Mini? I have the CDMA HTC Touch Pro.

Also - I want to upgrade to the newest Opera Mobile - do I need to uninstall the current one?
I run both on my HTC Diamond....For Opera Mini, install jBed first, and then opera mini.

And to upgrade Opera, it "should" overwrite itself.
PLAN:
Everything450, w/ unlimited mobile to mobile[B]

Need Dropbox? Use my referral here!
Old 01-17-2009, 06:54 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawmangrant View Post
....For Opera Mini, install jBed first, and then opera mini.
Thanks for the reply! What is jBed?

I'm hoping that using Opera Mini will make me a happier surfer. At the moment, browsing the internet on my phone is a very frustrating experience.

Also - I thought Opera Mobile was free - but the 'stable version' talks about a free 30 day trial, and I gather version 9.5 is just a beta version. So - free or not?
Old 01-17-2009, 07:02 PM
LMG - GEEK, VIP!!!

lawmangrant is halfway to VIP status based on replawmangrant is halfway to VIP status based on replawmangrant is halfway to VIP status based on replawmangrant is halfway to VIP status based on replawmangrant is halfway to VIP status based on replawmangrant is halfway to VIP status based on replawmangrant is halfway to VIP status based on replawmangrant is halfway to VIP status based on replawmangrant is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via AIM to lawmangrant Send a message via MSN to lawmangrant Send a message via Yahoo to lawmangrant Send a message via Skype™ to lawmangrant

Quote:

I'm hoping that using Opera Mini will make me a happier surfer. At the moment, browsing the internet on my phone is a very frustrating experience.

Also - I thought Opera Mobile was free - but the 'stable version' talks about a free 30 day trial, and I gather version 9.5 is just a beta version. So - free or not?
jBed is a java emulator...There a few out there, but I have always liked jbed, and it has bever given me problems. jbed allows your phone to run .jar and .jad files, which opera mini is.

Here is a link to xda with a cab download.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 01-17-2009, 07:04 PM
LMG - GEEK, VIP!!!

Quote:

Opera Mobile is a paid product....It came free with the HTC Diamond.

Opera Mobile is a nice program, but can be a tad slow, but hey, it's the internet, full blown, on our cell phones!! How fast could it really be?
Old 01-17-2009, 09:22 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Quote:
Opera Mobile is a nice program, but can be a tad slow, but hey, it's the internet, full blown, on our cell phones!! How fast could it really be?
To me it's not the 'slowness' that is so frustrating - it is the (un)usability of it. Opera has a mind of its own. Clicking a link may or may not actually go to the link. Portrait or landscape? - I can turn the phone and Opera will take 5-10 seconds to figure out it needs to switch. But then sometimes it just decides to switch on its own. It can't seem to decide whether it wants to be zoomed in or zoomed out - I try to scroll and it decides I'm double tapping - I'm not - then sometimes it refuses to scroll or pan at all. I'll set it to render in 'mobile view' - well sometimes it will and sometimes it won't - on the same page.

I'm hoping either Opera Mini or the newer build of 9.5 will help. Let me tell you - there is no way it can hurt!
Old 01-17-2009, 09:24 PM
LMG - GEEK, VIP!!!

I use Opera on my Diamond, and I cheated a little. I set the default zoom to the size of iphone web pages, and i load those by default. Really makes surfing a lot easier on the Diamond.
Old 01-17-2009, 10:24 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Quote:
... I set the default zoom to the size of iphone web pages, and i load those by default. Really makes surfing a lot easier on the Diamond.
How'd you do that?

I think part of my frustration is that I wanted to get the Pro after using my niece's iPhone. The iPhone was so easy to just pick up and use, but I wanted the power of the Pro...and the keyboard...and I was already a long-time Sprint customer.
Old 01-18-2009, 02:54 AM
Almost a VIP

pdx77 knows their stuffpdx77 knows their stuffpdx77 knows their stuffpdx77 knows their stuffpdx77 knows their stuffpdx77 knows their stuff

Quote:
How'd you do that?

I think part of my frustration is that I wanted to get the Pro after using my niece's iPhone. The iPhone was so easy to just pick up and use, but I wanted the power of the Pro...and the keyboard...and I was already a long-time Sprint customer.
type opera:config in the address bar (make sure you delete the http:// first as it doesn't automatically delete that.. but from there I think it's under Adaptive Zoom settings, lots of stuff in that config program you can change.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 01-18-2009, 01:58 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: rooted DroidX/leaked 2.2
Carrier: Verizon

jmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the community

Quote:

Opera Mini is awesome, since I installed it in my Touchpro I don't think I've used Opera Mobile once.

~John

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > Windows Mobile Software