PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > Windows Mobile Software
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2008, 12:48 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro2
Carrier: Sprint

Karmashock is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Passing phone calls from PPC to PC over sync

I don't know if this is possible but I'd love the option to answer my phone 'with' my PC instead of picking up the phone.

What I'm looking for is something that will "ping" the screen and/or trigger some kind of sound in the PC followed by the option to accept or reject the call. At which point I'd like the PC's microphone input sent to the PPC and the PPC's speaker output to the PC.

I'm almost sure that such a thing doesn't exist but it's a shame if it doesn't. The whole concept of the PPC screams for it.

If I'm right and it doesn't exist then it's sure to come out once all PPCs are really just UMPC's with full versions of windows running on them... if we're lucky that will be windows 7.
Old 04-08-2008, 05:31 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: PPC6800

warlock is a n00b
Re: Passing phone calls from PPC to PC over sync

running linux. full version of linux. haha.

I dont like trusting winblows to organize my life. BSOD!!
Old 04-08-2008, 08:16 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Samsung Moment

cuse94 is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by warlock View Post

You are running Linux on your 6800??? What version? Do educate!
Old 04-08-2008, 09:00 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Karmashock is a n00b

Quote:

Do you have a version of linux that will run with full features on PPC? From what I've read of them they're so experiential that they don't even have power management.

I'd like to try linux on Pocket PC.

That said, please explain further how linux on Pocket PC allows calls to be forwarded to the desktop unit?

Last edited by Karmashock; 04-08-2008 at 09:27 AM.
Old 04-08-2008, 09:48 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Sprint Touch Pro

neodorian is becoming a PPCGeeks regularneodorian is becoming a PPCGeeks regularneodorian is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:

Winblows? BSOD? What is this, 1995? Besides not having had a BSOD since probably before the millennium, I never minded them because if you know what you are doing they tell you what it is that made your computer crash. Also, what is a "full version of linux"? For that matter what would make up a partial version? The linux kernel is the full version of Linux and that's about as basic as you can get
Old 04-08-2008, 10:29 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Karmashock is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by neodorian View Post
Winblows? BSOD? What is this, 1995? Besides not having had a BSOD since probably before the millennium, I never minded them because if you know what you are doing they tell you what it is that made your computer crash. Also, what is a "full version of linux"? For that matter what would make up a partial version? The linux kernel is the full version of Linux and that's about as basic as you can get
I think we all get BSOD now and again but they're fairly rare. I got a page fault a few hours ago... I can expect one about twice a year. It's no big deal. It was my fault, I was playing with system drivers and made a mistake.

Furthermore, it is strange how people rag on windows for this but few make a point of actually comparing the OS's under similar circumstances. Don't tell me linux or MacOS never encounters an error that requires a reboot. I've seen it happen enough times to know that's nonsense.

The thing that interests me about linux here is that it can be customized and stripped down to fit on a Pocket PC with full compatibility with conventional linux software. That being the case, it's theoretically more useful then WM because WM is a comparatively limited OS.

The problem of course as always is getting the drivers to run anything but the most basic services... and then getting some custom GUI running to make using it bearable. To say nothing of getting sprint/verizon to talk to the phone once it's been moded.
Old 04-08-2008, 12:39 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

warlock is a n00b

Didnt mean to open a can of worms, I was just being sarcastic about the "full version of windows" on a "umpc".

Relax everyone. lol

and for running linux on the PPC6800, check the titan forum over at XDA (or the post here for that matter for links) on the android progress to our phones.
Old 04-08-2008, 02:42 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Karmashock is a n00b

Quote:
Didnt mean to open a can of worms, I was just being sarcastic about the "full version of windows" on a "umpc".
That's sort of the next big thing though... I mean intel is rolling out a brand new heat of tiny processors that are up to 1.6 GHz and FULL motherboards no larger then a business card. Those CPUs and motherboards can run windows or linux without having to alter either OS.

Beyond that they're also very energy efficient which means your battery doesn't need to nuclear powered to keep it going.

Then you have Microsoft talking about Windows 7 being ultra modular to the point where it can be smaller then any previous edition. I think someone was able to get windows95 down to 24 Megs by stripping out practically everything... but I can't be sure what Gate's baseline goal is for it.

Point being ultra mobile PCs with full and regular versions of desktop operating systems are going to be common in the next few years. That is in large part why I think MS isn't spending too much time refining the Windows Mobile platform... They already see it as obsolete.

Quote:
Relax everyone. lol
The OS war is frankly boring and nerdy... it's like arguing star trek versus Starwars at a certain point.

Most people don't care about the OS just their programs and what it lets them do...

Just about any OS will satisfy most people so long as they can get their programs running and the OS doesn't die on them. All the major OS's are fairly reliable at this point... so that's generally a non issue.

Quote:
and for running linux on the PPC6800, check the titan forum over at XDA (or the post here for that matter for links) on the android progress to our phones.
Will do...

Do you have any information though about piping control of the PPC's phone to the PC it's currently synced to?... or was I right in thinking it doesn't exist?
Old 04-08-2008, 03:43 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

warlock is a n00b

No i dont, or at least, not under the terms you used (i'm also tired, but it's not ringing a bell)

What about like modaco or moblue or whatever it's called, does it possible support using the pc as a "handsfree device"?

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > Windows Mobile Software