PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > Windows Mobile Software
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2007, 01:53 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Arrive
Carrier: Sprint

Elbimster is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via ICQ to Elbimster Send a message via AIM to Elbimster Send a message via MSN to Elbimster Send a message via Yahoo to Elbimster
Alternative Browser to PocketIE

Alright guys, i dug 8 pages deep into this forum, and could find no threads about alternative web browsers, etc. I'm having some problems getting IE to work lately, but haven't been having problems getting other browsers to work. I've tried Opera and MiniMo thus far. MiniMo is horrible IMO, and i'm getting rid of that ASAP. Opera wasn't horrible, but it wasn't perfect. I'm wondering what you all use, and what you think of it.

I've also read some very good things about NetFront, and am curious if it's worth purchasing. And does anybody know anything about this "Deepfish" browser i've been reading about? It looks like it's just for SmartPhones, but i'm not certain.

Oh yeah, i'm running a Sprint PPC-6700 with Colonel's ROM (Kudos to Colonel).
Old 02-05-2007, 10:12 PM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: Motorola Photon & Bravo
Carrier: Sprint & AT&T PAYG

budney is halfway to VIP status based on repbudney is halfway to VIP status based on repbudney is halfway to VIP status based on repbudney is halfway to VIP status based on repbudney is halfway to VIP status based on repbudney is halfway to VIP status based on repbudney is halfway to VIP status based on repbudney is halfway to VIP status based on repbudney is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via Yahoo to budney
The only other browsers I can think of are Netfont & Thunderhawk (which cost $$$).

http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n...1249020923.gif http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n...1249020658.gif
Old 02-06-2007, 01:41 AM
Moderator/WMExperts Staff
Pocket PC: Pure, TP2, Snap, Ozone, Intrepid,Treo Pro

Malatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
I've always found PIE and a good RSS reader addressed 90% of my mobile needs.

Opera was my backup browser.

Personally, I kind of hate any type of "mobile web browsing".
Old 02-06-2007, 02:17 AM
I love root
Pocket PC: HTC Hero

dannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIP
I've tried Opera as well. Wasn't too impressed with. Never tried MiniMo and not too sure I want to based on your view. I'll probably give it a shot though. I've used Netfront 3.3 for about 2 months off and on and while there are some features I like I still go back to regular IE for some reason. I've never tried Thunderhawk (not about to pay $50 for a year to use it, I dont care how good it is). The only thing I could find about "Deepfish" was on Gizmodo and Mobility Today (which were pretty much the exact same stories). I will do some research for more browsers though and will post if I find anything.
Lesson learned don't work on PPC while drinking.
Old 02-19-2007, 11:57 PM
I love root
Pocket PC: HTC Hero

dannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIP
Thought I'd give this thread a bump and post some more.

I found PIEPlus 2.2 which has a lot of cool features. Definitely check out the site. It does cost $15 but has a 14 full feature free trial. I liked it so much I also bought it, almost.

Here's some info I found on Deepfish from Softpedia:
Quote:
Users of mobile phones powered by Windows mobile could have no problems browsing the net, as each of these phones already came with Microsoft's Pocket Internet Explorer. And Opera
is now also one of the main choices, no matter what mobile phone one is using.

In fact, the mobile world doesn't leave much of a choice when it comes to web browsers, and it is clearly starting to be dominated by Opera. Now there's a new browser available for Windows Mobile smartphone users, DeepFish.

The browser offers a quicker and more convenient way to browse the web and offers an ability to preview complete websites “from bird's eye view”, which means that, while not everything is readable because of the small size, it is possible to select an area to zoom on.

Once the user zooms on the area, it will become easily readable and scrollable. The ability to view entire pages and zoom in to individual areas is probably the closest a handset can get to the desktop experience, considering the fact that the screen size is many times smaller.

Apart from that, it also means that now there is an alternative to Opera and Pocket Internet Explorer. The browser is still in beta, but it proves that improvement can be obtained when talking about mobile phone web browsing. There's no information on when it will be available but hopefully it will be coming soon.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > Windows Mobile Software