PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > Windows Mobile Software
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-21-2007, 06:29 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Super Delux Windoz9 6800+
Carrier: SARS, Avian Flu, Scabies

canospinach is keeping up the good workcanospinach is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to canospinach
Vista Sideshow Now supported via 3rd party app

http://vistasquad.co.uk/blogs/james/...our-phone.aspx

From Engadget:

Quote:
Devices supporting Vista's SideShow functionality aren't exactly flowing like water yet (seriously, when's the last time you saw someone sporting a W5Fe?), though that's not necessarily for a lack of interest. The functionality's plenty cool, it's just not really an overnight job getting enough manufacturers on board to support the concept and transform the consumer electronics landscape into a Vista-interfacing armada of small screens. If you had to boil it all down to exactly two things Microsoft could do to take SideShow from an ultra-niche market to ubiquity, though, let's be honest: they'd have to be to add Windows Mobile and iPhone support. Indeed, official WinMo support is a standing rumor, but in the meantime you can grab Ikanos Consulting's Go Gadgets beta, which supports installation and control of SideShow gadgets over pretty much any form of mobile connectivity you can throw at it. Turns out these guys have been hard at work making a general HTML renderer for gadgets, too, and have specialized it to look snappy on mobile Safari -- hence the iPhone and iPod touch support.

This one isn't quite ready for public consumption yet, but if WinMo's how you roll, you can sign up for the beta now.
Awesome news, I hear SideShow will be supported in the new WM6.1

A little about SideShow

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/pro.../sideshow.mspx

Quote:
Windows SideShow is a new technology in Windows Vista that supports a secondary screen on your mobile PC. With this additional display you can view important information whether your laptop is on, off, or in sleep mode. Windows SideShow is available in Windows Vista Home Premium, Windows Vista Business, Windows Vista Enterprise, and Windows Vista Ultimate.

Windows SideShow uses gadgets, convenient mini programs, to extend information from your computer to other devices. Gadgets can run on a Windows SideShow–compatible device and update that device with information from your computer. Using a gadget, you can view information from your computer regardless of whether your mobile PC is on, off, or in the sleep power state—which can save you both time and battery life.
Old 12-21-2007, 06:41 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC Evo
Carrier: Sprint

bedoig is halfway to VIP status based on repbedoig is halfway to VIP status based on repbedoig is halfway to VIP status based on repbedoig is halfway to VIP status based on repbedoig is halfway to VIP status based on repbedoig is halfway to VIP status based on repbedoig is halfway to VIP status based on repbedoig is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Sweet. I had forgotten all about SideShow. Thanks for the update.
Old 12-26-2007, 11:52 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch

Feech is a n00b
Can someone give me a example of how I would use this? I have read this over and over again and still dont get it It sounds cool don't get me wrong but I just dont know how I would use it
Old 12-26-2007, 12:20 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Super Delux Windoz9 6800+
Carrier: SARS, Avian Flu, Scabies
Threadstarter

canospinach is keeping up the good workcanospinach is keeping up the good work
Send a message via Yahoo to canospinach
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feech View Post
Can someone give me a example of how I would use this? I have read this over and over again and still dont get it It sounds cool don't get me wrong but I just dont know how I would use it
Do you understand what SideShow is?

SideShow is a secondary display (in this case using the PPC display as the 2nd display) where even in sleep mode your PC will alert you to different items.

SideShow as a Vista feature uses plugins to add functionality. There are lots of 3rd party plugins in development.

Imagine this: You could be listening to music on your PC, controlling it via SideShow on your PPC and getting alerted on your PPC when new email arrives on your PC.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > Windows Mobile Software