PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > Windows Mobile Software
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2006, 05:40 PM
morsus mihi
Pocket PC: iPhone 4
Carrier: AT&T

schettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
podcasts... somewhat oddly

This is a work in progress, and I'll document it if anyone cares, but here's the basic idea

* already getting podcasts downloaded nightly on my main machine (a linux server, which makes the rest of this a bit simpler)

* want to be able to simply dump 'recent' podcasts to my ppc6700 on the way out the door in the morning (bonus points, have them automatically download at night)

Ok, so this is pretty simple to do, all you need to do is generate a podcast on your machine that's downloading podcasts - of the 'recent' podcasts its downloaded
- I do this with a crontab job that makes symbolic links of the most recent 7 days of podcast mp3s to a folder accessable by my web server. That folder also has a modified version of the dircaster.php script in it (google it...)

So, basically I have a podcast available on my local network of the most recent 7 days worth of podcasts I've received. Cool.

On the ppc, I installed http://www.podcastready.com windows mobile client (free)... deleted all the feeds it had, added my local feed, and hey presto I can download the most recent podcasts (via wifi) with just a tap.

Anyone care for a detailed writeup? If not, at least know that the podcastready client is free and not too bad.
Old 11-10-2006, 01:10 PM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

bunnytrigger is keeping up the good workbunnytrigger is keeping up the good workbunnytrigger is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to bunnytrigger Send a message via MSN to bunnytrigger Send a message via Yahoo to bunnytrigger Send a message via Skype™ to bunnytrigger
appreciate you for your effort on it dude.

haven't you heard? corporations are the new government. They're constitutionally-exempt.

92% of teens have moved onto WoW. if you are part of the 8% that still play REAL games, copy n paste

Old 11-10-2006, 07:41 PM
morsus mihi
Pocket PC: iPhone 4
Carrier: AT&T
Threadstarter

schettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Thanks! It's moving along reasonably well, still some kinks

(1) http://www.skookummobile.com/ - skookum subscriber is a (free in beta) podcast downloader - supposed to do unattended downloads, TBD if it actually works.

(2) podcastready works fine, but renames your podcast files (for some reason!)

(3) I actually have a couple 'feed' sources - general podcasts that are downloaded nightly, and NPR radio I record off the streaming webcasts. It turns out it makes sense to (and is easy to) generate different 'rebroadcast' local podcasts by 'theme' - basically I can grab some NPR, or grab my poker podcats, etc... you can go as crazy as you want here.

(4) MortScript is going to possibly figure in here somewere. Probably have a podcast cleanup script to delete old podcasts...

Ideal script (hey I can dream)
- run at 3:30am
- if !on AC, end
- otherwise:
- turn on wifi
- run podcast app, auto download
- when done turn off wifi
- go back to sleep

No idea if that is possible in mortscript. Will let you know.
Old 11-10-2006, 08:12 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Touch pro
Carrier: Sprint

wingzero is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
This looks pretty cool. Keep us posted.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > Windows Mobile Software