PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > Windows Mobile Development
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-02-2007, 10:57 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Myn Warm Donut RL4 on xv6900
Carrier: Verizon

tharris297 is keeping up the good worktharris297 is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via ICQ to tharris297 Send a message via AIM to tharris297 Send a message via MSN to tharris297 Send a message via Yahoo to tharris297
Question Are WM based phones doomed to fail by nature of the beast?

I've been a faithful apache user for about a year. And I must admit, that even though I have been faithful ... it has been painful at times. Bluetooth this, SD card that, Memory leak this, Patch that. NO matter if its old with many versions of the rom (aka AKU versions of WM5) or hacked versions of the newer OS (THANKS SO VERY MUCH FOR THE WM6 EFFORTS BY ALL PPCGEEKS THAT WERE AND ARE INVOLVED and also thanks go out to ALL persons that have contributed ROM or OEM or CAB or Registry entry or anything to make this phone work as advertised!!!).

But I am not sure if the highly customizable, highly hackable, secretly Open format of the HTC roms is the downfall of the system. Unlike linux, it seems that everyone is working on there own version ... and individually things are being worked out ... individually ... but not the way an Open source should. The fixes are not routed back to the source (they dont want it) so we get to play with our phones and still get partial fixes here and there. We get the wow factor of WM6 ... with the same old Bluetooth issues that has plagued at least me from AKU 2.X.

My question is this ... are Wm based phones doomed not to work, due to being forced out of the womb to quick? With out real testing and with the various parts that make it up, HTC, Microsoft, Broadcom, whoever else, not working together to fix the problems, but are rather working to get the next versions out so that they can keep up with the others?

Its time for me to upgrade my xv6700 ... but I just refuse to pay for the same problems just to get more memory.

I know this is a ran of sorts, and probably will get a few flames back ... thats ok.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > Windows Mobile Development