PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android Samsung Devices > Samsung Galaxy Series > CDMA-Specific > Sprint Epic 4G

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-31-2012, 04:19 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Mogul --> TP --> TP2 --> Transform --> Epic
Carrier: Sprint

tkjames is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Question Low on Memory

So the memory on my phone has been at 50mb or lower for the past few months. I've done the standard stuff that I know: clear cache, moved every freakin' app to the SD card, and still my memory stays low. Yesterday I got it to 50mb so the notification finally went away. I've been getting the "install new update" notice for a while so I finally backed up my data and updated to FC09. I re-rooted, then restored my data...memory down to 16mb now.

What do I need to do to get my phone memory to normal levels? And why is the memory so low if I have all moveable apps on the SD card (and the ones I can't move certainly don't total 450mb).

Check out The Stupid Random Stuff Store for - can you guess? - stupid random stuff...duh!!
Old 07-31-2012, 07:07 PM
"The Fuzzy One"
Pocket PC: PPC6800 & Touch Pro 2 & Epic 4G

gTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Re: Low on Memory

What rom are you using? also when you say restored your data you mean using clockwork mod?

http://quickrewards.net/?r=!F94VXV35D5MV2

(My shameless referral link)
Old 08-01-2012, 10:47 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

I'm using stock, and restored with CWM.
Old 08-01-2012, 07:48 PM
"The Fuzzy One"

gTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the community

IF you don't have too many apps, backup using something like titanium backup and then install the apps manually and restore the app data app by app.
Old 08-02-2012, 12:49 PM
#1 troll!
Pocket PC: Moto G5 Plus
Carrier: AT&T aka deathstar

fixxxer2012 is halfway to VIP status based on repfixxxer2012 is halfway to VIP status based on repfixxxer2012 is halfway to VIP status based on repfixxxer2012 is halfway to VIP status based on repfixxxer2012 is halfway to VIP status based on repfixxxer2012 is halfway to VIP status based on repfixxxer2012 is halfway to VIP status based on repfixxxer2012 is halfway to VIP status based on repfixxxer2012 is halfway to VIP status based on repfixxxer2012 is halfway to VIP status based on repfixxxer2012 is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Mentioned: 55 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gTen View Post
IF you don't have too many apps, backup using something like titanium backup and then install the apps manually and restore the app data app by app.

it's actually recommended not to restore any data. i found nothing but battery drain issues using titanium backup, i stopped using it months ago.

Old 08-02-2012, 02:15 PM
"The Fuzzy One"

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixxxer2012 View Post
it's actually recommended not to restore any data. i found nothing but battery drain issues using titanium backup, i stopped using it months ago.
Well of course its not recommended to restore any data. But lets be honest that is generally not an option, so I am offering the most efficient solution.
Old 08-08-2012, 04:17 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Is Titanium a paid program? And actually, I don't think I could use it anyway cuz I don't have enough memory to install anything else.

No ideas on what could be taking up so much memory in the first place? While I do have a lot of apps (it'd be a real pain to re-install them one by one), all have been moved to the storage card, and only the ones that I can't move but use regularly are on the phone itself, and they don't total 500mb. I thought maybe K-9 mail was using up a lot of space, but that's on my storage card as well.
Old 08-08-2012, 07:56 PM
"The Fuzzy One"

There is option 2. Format part of your sd card to EXT2 and then move your apps to sd card.
Old 08-08-2012, 08:15 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: OnePlus 8 5G
Carrier: T-Mobile

demonlordoftheround can't get a higher reputation leveldemonlordoftheround can't get a higher reputation leveldemonlordoftheround can't get a higher reputation leveldemonlordoftheround can't get a higher reputation leveldemonlordoftheround can't get a higher reputation leveldemonlordoftheround can't get a higher reputation leveldemonlordoftheround can't get a higher reputation leveldemonlordoftheround can't get a higher reputation leveldemonlordoftheround can't get a higher reputation leveldemonlordoftheround can't get a higher reputation leveldemonlordoftheround can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Titanium had both a free version and a paid version which offers more features. Maybe you have a misbehaving app taking up memory?

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk
Old 10-09-2012, 09:15 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: 2032/6700/6800/Arrive/Samsung Epic 4G

TexasAggie97 is keeping up the good workTexasAggie97 is keeping up the good workTexasAggie97 is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Did you ever figure out what was causing the low memory issue? I moved all movable apps to the SD card and still hover close to 50mb. I have to uninstall larger apps first, update the smaller apps, then reinstall the larger apps.

I wonder if there is some sort folder where unneeded backups are stored....

Sent from my SPH-D700 on the PPCGeeks App

PPCGeeks > Android > Android Samsung Devices > Samsung Galaxy Series > CDMA-Specific > Sprint Epic 4G