PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android Samsung Devices > Samsung Galaxy Series > CDMA-Specific > Sprint Epic 4G
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-06-2011, 06:00 PM
VIP MVP
Pocket PC: TP Dos/OG Epic/Touch
Carrier: Sprint

masetas knows their stuffmasetas knows their stuffmasetas knows their stuffmasetas knows their stuffmasetas knows their stuffmasetas knows their stuffmasetas knows their stuff
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
WIFI secured by WEP?

I set up a wifi network at home and phone has always been able to connect to but the wifi has always been open not protected with any password or any other type so today i decided to atleast secure it with WEP 128bit encryption but now when i make my phone scan for wifi networks available it brings up my network but it wont connect it
First it scans then it says obtaining IP address then after a while it says disabled protected by web. Since my network was already in the phones memory as available i erased it and had it rescan it brought it up hit connect add it the password but it only goes as far as Obtaining IP address

Using ACS Syndicate ROM 1.1.0

Old 06-06-2011, 06:51 PM
Exigent Circumstance
Pocket PC: LG - G2x // P999
Carrier: T-Mobile ™

info[]box1 is a VIPinfo[]box1 is a VIPinfo[]box1 is a VIPinfo[]box1 is a VIPinfo[]box1 is a VIPinfo[]box1 is a VIPinfo[]box1 is a VIPinfo[]box1 is a VIPinfo[]box1 is a VIPinfo[]box1 is a VIPinfo[]box1 is a VIP
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Wirelessly posted (Htc Arrive: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.3.4; en-us; Nexus S 4G Build/GRJ22) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

Did you try rebooting the modem and router.?
Old 06-06-2011, 07:20 PM
VIP MVP
Threadstarter

masetas knows their stuffmasetas knows their stuffmasetas knows their stuffmasetas knows their stuffmasetas knows their stuffmasetas knows their stuffmasetas knows their stuff
Re: WIFI secured by WEP?

NO i didnt , since i didnt i had too since my pc internet connection kept active. Ill try that and see what happens
Old 06-06-2011, 08:36 PM
"The Fuzzy One"
Pocket PC: PPC6800 & Touch Pro 2 & Epic 4G

gTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

have you tried setting a static ip?

http://quickrewards.net/?r=!F94VXV35D5MV2

(My shameless referral link)
Old 06-07-2011, 11:43 PM
VIP MVP
Threadstarter

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.2.1; en-us; SPH-D700 Build/FROYO) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

No because I heard having static ip was less secured. Dont know if thats true but thats the reason
Old 06-08-2011, 01:04 AM
"The Fuzzy One"

gTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the community

Quote:
Originally Posted by masetas View Post
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.2.1; en-us; SPH-D700 Build/FROYO) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

No because I heard having static ip was less secured. Dont know if thats true but thats the reason
having a dynamic or static IP is irrelevant to overall security...I mean lets look at it this way..if its gotten to a point where they gotten on your network...it takes less then 1min to port scan all the ips in the block...

IF you want to go that deep WEP is insecure all together...
Old 06-08-2011, 01:09 AM
acs tester
Pocket PC: diamond/tp1/tp2/MoFo/touch 4g
Carrier: ppcgeeks/sprint

darren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via MSN to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via Yahoo to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via Skype™ to darren.wlsn1

Quote:
Originally Posted by gTen View Post
having a dynamic or static IP is irrelevant to overall security...I mean lets look at it this way..if its gotten to a point where they gotten on your network...it takes less then 1min to port scan all the ips in the block...

IF you want to go that deep WEP is insecure all together...
omg no wonder he left. lol
Old 06-08-2011, 02:16 AM
VIP MVP
Threadstarter

Darren who left?

Gten if WEP is insecure then what should I be using then to better secure my net.?

Also my bad on the noobnes but what does it mean when you say .. it takes less than 1 min to port scan all the ips in the block
Old 06-08-2011, 03:11 AM
acs tester
Pocket PC: diamond/tp1/tp2/MoFo/touch 4g
Carrier: ppcgeeks/sprint

darren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via MSN to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via Yahoo to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via Skype™ to darren.wlsn1

Quote:
Originally Posted by masetas View Post

Darren who left?

Gten if WEP is insecure then what should I be using then to better secure my net.?

Also my bad on the noobnes but what does it mean when you say .. it takes less than 1 min to port scan all the ips in the block
i was just joking that now that you found out your not secure your wiping files. think gten is saying if they got your ip already they will find all of them in a minute so static really isn't secure either. i use "real hide" and never had a issue.
Old 06-08-2011, 03:31 AM
"The Fuzzy One"

WPA2 encryption is the most secure one atm...

as for prot scanning..ok one they breached the network in w\e way..dhcp assigns an ip address..usually 198.162.x.x..all the usually have to do is send a packet to all the possible ips in that range..whichever one gets hit by the packet they know a host is there an they can exploit it...
This post has been thanked 1 times.

PPCGeeks > Android > Android Samsung Devices > Samsung Galaxy Series > CDMA-Specific > Sprint Epic 4G