PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android Samsung Devices > Samsung Galaxy Series > CDMA-Specific > Sprint Epic 4G
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-04-2011, 10:58 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Samsung Epic 4G
Carrier: Sprint

doggiedog is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Battery drain while charging in car

My Epic 4G has a strange problem while trying to charge in the car. Whenever I plug it in, I actually lose power rapidly. Today, I had it plugged in for 15 mins and my power went from 47% to 8% and the phone was very hot.

I originally thought it might have to do with the old version of Bonsai (3.0) that I had but I upgraded to 4.1.1 and the problem still exists. Has anyone else had this problem? It is extremely limiting to not be able to charge my phone in the car. I don't have anything running on the phone while charging. This only happens while charging in the car.

Thanks,

DD
Old 06-04-2011, 11:28 PM
"The Fuzzy One"
Pocket PC: PPC6800 & Touch Pro 2 & Epic 4G

gTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Re: Battery drain while charging in car

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiedog View Post
My Epic 4G has a strange problem while trying to charge in the car. Whenever I plug it in, I actually lose power rapidly. Today, I had it plugged in for 15 mins and my power went from 47% to 8% and the phone was very hot.

I originally thought it might have to do with the old version of Bonsai (3.0) that I had but I upgraded to 4.1.1 and the problem still exists. Has anyone else had this problem? It is extremely limiting to not be able to charge my phone in the car. I don't have anything running on the phone while charging. This only happens while charging in the car.

Thanks,

DD
If your battery gets hot it will stop charging altogether for safety reasons..whats your car charger rated at? also try putting it on a metal surface and see if it still gets hot..

http://quickrewards.net/?r=!F94VXV35D5MV2

(My shameless referral link)
Old 06-04-2011, 11:35 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

doggiedog is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by gTen View Post
If your battery gets hot it will stop charging altogether for safety reasons..whats your car charger rated at? also try putting it on a metal surface and see if it still gets hot..
The car charger is rated at 1 Amp. I bought it from Monoprice. The phone charges everywhere but the car. The battery gets hot as if it's running something intense but I usually don't have anything running. What is strange is the discharge. Something is actually draining the battery and draining it quite rapidly. 47% to 8% in 15 mins seems pretty strange. I've had this happen almost every time I try charging. I quit doing it but decided to give it another try with the new Bonsai update. Unfortunately, nothing seems to have changed.
Old 06-04-2011, 11:38 PM
"The Fuzzy One"

gTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the community

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiedog View Post
The car charger is rated at 1 Amp. I bought it from Monoprice. The phone charges everywhere but the car. The battery gets hot as if it's running something intense but I usually don't have anything running. What is strange is the discharge. Something is actually draining the battery and draining it quite rapidly. 47% to 8% in 15 mins seems pretty strange. I've had this happen almost every time I try charging. I quit doing it but decided to give it another try with the new Bonsai update. Unfortunately, nothing seems to have changed.
Do you keep wifi on? what does Android say is draining your battery? have you tried charging other equipment with that charger?
Old 06-05-2011, 12:51 AM
Lurker
Threadstarter

doggiedog is a n00b

I don't use Wifi. Bluetooth is off. I used to use the same charger (different cable) for my HTC TP2 but not since I got the Epic 4G. I'm pretty sure it's not the charger.
Old 06-05-2011, 12:35 PM
"The Fuzzy One"

Can you do this test..put your phone next to air conditioner and make sure it keeps cool..then see if it charges or continues to drain...
Old 06-05-2011, 03:22 PM
Banned User
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro2(Retired)/HTC Arrive(Sold)/HTC HD7
Carrier: T-Mobile

eric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIP
Mentioned: 54 Post(s)

interesting I didn't think Sammy phones had this problem too. here's what I do with my arrive when it overheats (due to the shit towers in my area) I slide the keyboard out and within a matter of minutes it cools down and continues to charge, for some reason sliding the keyboard out allows more ventilation to get to the battery and cool it down. the problem may also be either the charger or the cigarette lighter that ur plugging it into.
Old 06-05-2011, 04:20 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

doggiedog is a n00b

I'll try them. I really think it's some program or driver that is going haywire though.

PPCGeeks > Android > Android Samsung Devices > Samsung Galaxy Series > CDMA-Specific > Sprint Epic 4G