PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android Samsung Devices > Samsung Galaxy Series > CDMA-Specific > Sprint Epic 4G
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2011, 12:43 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Hero
Carrier: Sprint

Volknochi is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Having a very hard time removing bloatware.

Okay, I've been having a lot of fits with trying to remove bloatware off my Epic. I've searched and searched until my eyes bled, but nothing seems to work.

I've done the One-Click Root for my phone. But when it came to wanting to remove bloatware, I came across problems.

Problem 1: Trying to use SDX App Remover doesn't let me remove stock apps. Just keeps repeating the screen of "Continue, Backup, Cancel".

Problem 2: Tried using Root Explorer, and it would not want to remove some of the bloatware. Reboot phone, reattempt, still nothing.

Problem 3: Tried to do CMD prompt with adb shell. Every time I went to list apps, it wouldn't. Listed other stuff instead. Tried just punching in the name of the .apk's and .odex's and would always get "Cannot remove, read only".

So, I'm completely stuck. Actually went ahead and reset my phone back to factory. I want to try again but only AFTER I find some help on what's going on [altho it seems the phone is still rooted because SuperUser is still in the applications section]. It seems everyone else has no problems rooting and removing bloatware, but me, I always seem to hit a snag. Even after reading the instructions 5 times over in case I missed something.

Any help? Maybe a free app that deletes stock apps, guaranteed? Or, correct CMD prompts to list and remove the bloatware? Like I said above, I have definitely done a lot of searching and tried all sorts of methods but still seemed to have problems. I would greatly appreciate some help. I would do more searching but it's nearly 1:00am and I'm starting to require sleep.

Cheers.
Old 04-28-2011, 12:44 AM
acs tester
Pocket PC: diamond/tp1/tp2/MoFo/touch 4g
Carrier: ppcgeeks/sprint

darren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via MSN to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via Yahoo to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via Skype™ to darren.wlsn1
Re: Having a very hard time removing bloatware.

well your rooted so just flash a rom, bloat gone.
Old 04-28-2011, 02:49 AM
"The Fuzzy One"
Pocket PC: PPC6800 & Touch Pro 2 & Epic 4G

gTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

try loading up titanium backup...

you might actually not be rooted for w\e reason..but the other things were installed liek superuser...only by running a rooted app can you be 100% sure.

http://quickrewards.net/?r=!F94VXV35D5MV2

(My shameless referral link)
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 04-28-2011, 05:10 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Samsung Epic

Scoob is becoming a PPCGeeks regularScoob is becoming a PPCGeeks regularScoob is becoming a PPCGeeks regularScoob is becoming a PPCGeeks regularScoob is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by darren.wlsn1 View Post
well your rooted so just flash a rom, bloat gone.
This was the easiet route for me since I was afraid blindly removing apps would mess my phone up...
Old 04-28-2011, 08:43 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: 2032/6700/6800/Arrive/Samsung Epic 4G

TexasAggie97 is keeping up the good workTexasAggie97 is keeping up the good workTexasAggie97 is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)

Questions: What is "bloatware" and why does one want it removed?
Old 04-28-2011, 08:56 AM
acs tester

darren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation level
Send a message via AIM to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via MSN to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via Yahoo to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via Skype™ to darren.wlsn1

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasAggie97 View Post
sprint apps like tv/nascar ect. remove it to save space/battery, you guys need to try gingerbread if you dont mind bloatware cause its cool but no 4g yet.
Old 04-28-2011, 08:57 AM
"The Fuzzy One"
Pocket PC: PPC6800 & Touch Pro 2 & Epic 4G

gTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasAggie97 View Post
bloatware is extra software the carriers load up on your phone. Whats even worse is they don't let you remove that software (unless you root)...for example the Asphalt HD demo just takes up space...

Effectively everything the manufacturer/carriers preinstall for you outside of stock OS is bloatware...some bloatware we find useful like Thinkfree Office or Sprint TV..but its the ideology that phones should give you a choice what to load up and not preinstall for you...so things that are just there using up space and baterylife/processing cycles that you may not want to use.
Old 04-28-2011, 08:59 AM
acs tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by gTen View Post
bloatware is extra software the carriers load up on your phone. Whats even worse is they don't let you remove that software (unless you root)...for example the Asphalt HD demo just takes up space...

Effectively everything the manufacturer/carriers preinstall for you outside of stock OS is bloatware...some bloatware we find useful like Thinkfree Office or Sprint TV..but its the ideology that phones should give you a choice what to load up and not preinstall for you...so things that are just there using up space and baterylife/processing cycles that you may not want to use.
spammer
Old 04-28-2011, 09:22 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: 2032/6700/6800/Arrive/Samsung Epic 4G

TexasAggie97 is keeping up the good workTexasAggie97 is keeping up the good workTexasAggie97 is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Wink Re: Having a very hard time removing bloatware.

Quote:
..but its the ideology that phones should give you a choice what to load up and not preinstall for you...
That's why I left Windows iPhone 7, I couldn't stand being forced to use their preinstalled Zune program....
Old 04-28-2011, 11:44 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Hero
Threadstarter

Volknochi is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
try loading up titanium backup...

you might actually not be rooted for w\e reason..but the other things were installed liek superuser...only by running a rooted app can you be 100% sure.
So, Titanium Backup only works on rooted phones?

PPCGeeks > Android > Android Samsung Devices > Samsung Galaxy Series > CDMA-Specific > Sprint Epic 4G