PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android Samsung Devices > Samsung Galaxy Series > CDMA-Specific > Sprint Epic 4G
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2010, 10:39 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2 (Telesales Launch Day H/W Rev.)
Carrier: Sprint PCS

SweetBearCub is becoming a PPCGeeks regularSweetBearCub is becoming a PPCGeeks regularSweetBearCub is becoming a PPCGeeks regularSweetBearCub is becoming a PPCGeeks regularSweetBearCub is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Question Trying to root - Phone not recognized in ADB

I downloaded and installed the Win x64 Samsung Galaxy S drivers from the wiki link (I installed them with the setup.exe in the archive).

The setup program completed successfully, and I connected the phone to a known working USB port with a known working cable, but my PC does not react to it in any way. The phone does begin to charge.

At a command prompt, "ADB devices" results in "List of devices attached" which is blank. I've rooted an LG Optimus S before, so I know I should be seeing at least one entry in this list.

ADB debugging is enabled on the phone.

Any suggestions?
Old 12-11-2010, 11:09 PM
"The Fuzzy One"
Pocket PC: PPC6800 & Touch Pro 2 & Epic 4G
Carrier: Sprint

gTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Re: Trying to root - Phone not recognized in ADB

When you plug it in..do you see drivers being installed for the device on the bottom right? or does it say unidentified usb device?

http://quickrewards.net/?r=!F94VXV35D5MV2

(My shameless referral link)
Old 12-11-2010, 11:22 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

SweetBearCub is becoming a PPCGeeks regularSweetBearCub is becoming a PPCGeeks regularSweetBearCub is becoming a PPCGeeks regularSweetBearCub is becoming a PPCGeeks regularSweetBearCub is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by gTen View Post
When you plug it in..do you see drivers being installed for the device on the bottom right? or does it say unidentified usb device?
No, to both questions. My PC did not react to the phone in any way.
Old 12-11-2010, 11:37 PM
VFW Member
Pocket PC: GNote2 Sprint SERO!
Carrier: Theodore Roosevelt CVN-71

gullzway is halfway to VIP status based on repgullzway is halfway to VIP status based on repgullzway is halfway to VIP status based on repgullzway is halfway to VIP status based on repgullzway is halfway to VIP status based on repgullzway is halfway to VIP status based on repgullzway is halfway to VIP status based on repgullzway is halfway to VIP status based on repgullzway is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Do you have another, non 64 bit, pc you can try it on?

Sent from my Epic 3G on SERO.
Old 12-11-2010, 11:47 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

No...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gullzway View Post
Do you have another, non 64 bit, pc you can try it on?

Sent from my Epic 3G on SERO.
Old 12-12-2010, 01:56 AM
"The Fuzzy One"

gTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the community

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetBearCub View Post
No, to both questions. My PC did not react to the phone in any way.
Open up device manager, then plug in the phone..do you see anything thats a warning?
Old 12-12-2010, 02:20 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gTen View Post
Open up device manager, then plug in the phone..do you see anything thats a warning?

Above is a screenshot of my Device Manager, running with Admin privileges. The highlighted device under 'Network Adapters', which is not phone-related, is disabled for other reasons.
Old 12-12-2010, 02:46 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

Aha I think I may have figured it out.

I was using the micro-USB cable from my LG Optimus S, preferring not to unpack the (supposedly identical) cable from my Epic 4G's box.

When I finally switched to the Samsung cable, the phone was recognized. 3 of the 4 drivers have installed, Windows is still processing the 4th (the "CDC Abstract Codel Modell (ACM)". It's been going for a while, I expect it will likely fail.

While that 4th driver is processing, typing "ADB devices" at the commandline did show my phone - But "ADB shell" returned a "device is offline" error, probably because Windows is still trying to install the 4th driver. I guess I'll wait until it times out.
Old 12-12-2010, 03:14 AM
"The Fuzzy One"

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetBearCub View Post
Aha I think I may have figured it out.

I was using the micro-USB cable from my LG Optimus S, preferring not to unpack the (supposedly identical) cable from my Epic 4G's box.

When I finally switched to the Samsung cable, the phone was recognized. 3 of the 4 drivers have installed, Windows is still processing the 4th (the "CDC Abstract Codel Modell (ACM)". It's been going for a while, I expect it will likely fail.

While that 4th driver is processing, typing "ADB devices" at the commandline did show my phone - But "ADB shell" returned a "device is offline" error, probably because Windows is still trying to install the 4th driver. I guess I'll wait until it times out.
unplug the device and plug it back in, that usually does the trick..if not, in device manager click on that CDC device and install drivers manually from the 16_Shrewberry folder
Old 12-12-2010, 09:06 AM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: Samsung Epic

dumpringz is becoming a PPCGeeks regulardumpringz is becoming a PPCGeeks regulardumpringz is becoming a PPCGeeks regulardumpringz is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Wirelessly posted (Samsung Epic : Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.1-update1; en-us; SPH-D700 Build/ECLAIR) AppleWebKit/530.17 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/530.17)

id like to know the differences in the cables. ive read of similar issues all over

PPCGeeks > Android > Android Samsung Devices > Samsung Galaxy Series > CDMA-Specific > Sprint Epic 4G