PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android Samsung Devices > Samsung Galaxy Series > CDMA-Specific > Sprint Epic 4G
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2010, 08:22 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2 (Telesales Launch Day H/W Rev.)
Carrier: Sprint PCS

SweetBearCub is becoming a PPCGeeks regularSweetBearCub is becoming a PPCGeeks regularSweetBearCub is becoming a PPCGeeks regularSweetBearCub is becoming a PPCGeeks regularSweetBearCub is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Question Considering moving to an Epic 4G - Lots of questions though..

I currently have an LG Optimus S. It's my first Android device, but I'm not happy with its 3.2" screen and lack of a physical keyboard. I'm still well within my 30-day exchange window, and am considering an Epic 4G to replace it. I have several questions that I'd like answered before I make the switch though.

- Real world performance. Not counting synthetic benchmarks, how does the Epic compare to the Evo speed-wise in daily use? What can make it lag or bog down?

- Is the screen "big enough"? Do you regret not getting the Evo for the extra 0.3" of screen real estate?

- GPS status. Is it still messed up? If so, how bad is the problem, and how can it be worked around? Regarding the eventual fix, will we be at the mercy of Samsung to fix it, or is this something the community could concievably fix?

- Does the Epic have an actual magnetic compass? (Not a fake GPS sat compass.) If so, is it affected by the GPS issues?

- Does the Epic have a working/accessible FM radio? (Yes, I know about streaming audio apps. While they're great for some uses, a real FM radio has its uses.)

- How is the WiFI range on the Epic? Decent? Crappier than other phones? Better? It does WiFi B, G, and N, right?

- Assuming that I wanted a complete case solution, what are my options? ("Complete" meaning impact/rain/dust resistance, a piece of the case that can slip between the 2 halves and cover the keyboard, and portions covering the screen and cameras as well.)

- Power port durability. The power port on most smartphones has typically been a weak spot, and it's conveniently not covered by TEP if it should fail, so I want to minimize any strain on it. Would some kind of "Powermat" (wireless/contact charging where you place the phone in contact with a special "mat" to charge) solve this concern? Does such a system directly/inductively charge the battery with a special battery door cover, or does it have a small dongle on the battery door that must be attached to the power port? If it has a dongle, how small is that dongle? Small enough so that if I were to pick it up off the mat and slide the keyboard out, I wouldn't risk putting stress on it?

- If such a thing as the "Powermat" system I referenced above isn't available, is there a dock system available (other than the "Bedside dock" I've seen in Google, which doesn't appear to be very well made) that can charge the phone, especially while it's still in the "complete" case solution I mentioned above?

- Battery life. Assuming that the 3G and 4G radios were switched off, and that only the BT, WiFi, GPS, and FM radios (if it has one, as I asked above) were in use (not neccesarilly all at the same time), how's the battery life?

- If I wanted an extended battery, what are my options, especially if adding thickness to the phone is not an issue for me? (As long as it will still fit in the "complete" case solution I mentioned above.) Would I be better off carrying a couple stock batteries to swap out?

- Build quality/durability. Does the Epic seem to be solidly made, something that you expect will not break easily, or is it flimsy in certain aspects?

- Custom ROMs. is there a "kitchen" available, much like WinMo users had access to, that I can use to easily make my own custom ROM, or am I limited to ROMs that established chefs release?

Thanks for bearing with me through all these questions. Any other comments that you think would be relevant are also welcomed.
Old 12-06-2010, 08:41 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: touch pro2
Carrier: sprint

revaaron is keeping up the good workrevaaron is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Re: Considering moving to an Epic 4G - Lots of questions though..

didn't read any of this... the epic 4g is the best phone I've ever owned.
get a few extra batteries and get it.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 12-06-2010, 09:08 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Samsung Epic 4g
Carrier: Sprint

Vassago is just getting started

- Real world performance. Not counting synthetic benchmarks, how does the Epic compare to the Evo speed-wise in daily use? What can make it lag or bog down?

They are comparable with speed. I wouldn't try to base a judgement on this.

- Is the screen "big enough"? Do you regret not getting the Evo for the extra 0.3" of screen real estate?

The screen is more than large enough for me. My friend has the Evo and using his phone, I don't really have any regrets with the Epic.

- GPS status. Is it still messed up? If so, how bad is the problem, and how can it be worked around? Regarding the eventual fix, will we be at the mercy of Samsung to fix it, or is this something the community could concievably fix?

It's supposed to be fixed with the 2.2.1 update that just came out. I never really had a GPS issue myself, but with the new update, it's rock solid.

- Does the Epic have an actual magnetic compass? (Not a fake GPS sat compass.) If so, is it affected by the GPS issues?

Yes.

- Does the Epic have a working/accessible FM radio? (Yes, I know about streaming audio apps. While they're great for some uses, a real FM radio has its uses.)

Nope, at least not with the stock rom. I'm not sure if it has the hardware.

- How is the WiFI range on the Epic? Decent? Crappier than other phones? Better? It does WiFi B, G, and N, right?

It's been more than adequate for me. I've left it in my bedroom and used the wifi connection in my living room with MobileAP without an issue. It does all three, yes.

- Assuming that I wanted a complete case solution, what are my options? ("Complete" meaning impact/rain/dust resistance, a piece of the case that can slip between the 2 halves and cover the keyboard, and portions covering the screen and cameras as well.)

- Power port durability. The power port on most smartphones has typically been a weak spot, and it's conveniently not covered by TEP if it should fail, so I want to minimize any strain on it. Would some kind of "Powermat" (wireless/contact charging where you place the phone in contact with a special "mat" to charge) solve this concern? Does such a system directly/inductively charge the battery with a special battery door cover, or does it have a small dongle on the battery door that must be attached to the power port? If it has a dongle, how small is that dongle? Small enough so that if I were to pick it up off the mat and slide the keyboard out, I wouldn't risk putting stress on it?

I haven't had any issues with the power port.

- If such a thing as the "Powermat" system I referenced above isn't available, is there a dock system available (other than the "Bedside dock" I've seen in Google, which doesn't appear to be very well made) that can charge the phone, especially while it's still in the "complete" case solution I mentioned above?

Most "complete" cases will at least leave an opening for charging.

- Battery life. Assuming that the 3G and 4G radios were switched off, and that only the BT, WiFi, GPS, and FM radios (if it has one, as I asked above) were in use (not neccesarilly all at the same time), how's the battery life?

The battery life more depends on what you keep running and how often you are running it, especially if the screen has to be on.

- If I wanted an extended battery, what are my options, especially if adding thickness to the phone is not an issue for me? (As long as it will still fit in the "complete" case solution I mentioned above.) Would I be better off carrying a couple stock batteries to swap out?

- Build quality/durability. Does the Epic seem to be solidly made, something that you expect will not break easily, or is it flimsy in certain aspects?

Mine feels pretty solid in my hands. I've had a couple drops without any issues. The generic case I bought protected it from scratches and dings.

- Custom ROMs. is there a "kitchen" available, much like WinMo users had access to, that I can use to easily make my own custom ROM, or am I limited to ROMs that established chefs release?
This post has been thanked 3 times.
Old 12-07-2010, 02:50 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

SweetBearCub is becoming a PPCGeeks regularSweetBearCub is becoming a PPCGeeks regularSweetBearCub is becoming a PPCGeeks regularSweetBearCub is becoming a PPCGeeks regularSweetBearCub is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Then why even answer my thread if you didn't read any of my questions? Kinda pointless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by revaaron View Post
didn't read any of this... the epic 4g is the best phone I've ever owned.
get a few extra batteries and get it.
Old 12-07-2010, 02:58 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

Vassago, thanks for taking the time to answer most of my questions. It's appreciated.
Old 12-07-2010, 03:44 AM
VFW Member
Pocket PC: GNote2 Sprint SERO!
Carrier: Theodore Roosevelt CVN-71

gullzway is halfway to VIP status based on repgullzway is halfway to VIP status based on repgullzway is halfway to VIP status based on repgullzway is halfway to VIP status based on repgullzway is halfway to VIP status based on repgullzway is halfway to VIP status based on repgullzway is halfway to VIP status based on repgullzway is halfway to VIP status based on repgullzway is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)

1. This phone Flies, really it turns into a jet and....., no really if you're coming from a Touch Pro2 as I was you will be stunned how much faster the Epic is, Haven't used an EVO so can't compare them. Have you tried them out at a Sprint Store??

2. Screen is plenty big, and Extremely Beautiful. Mine is rarely set to Full brightness because it's Blinding. I think I read the Evo has 64K colors compared to 16Million on the Epics SAMOLED. "The Epic has a significantly superior GPU, a superior CPU, a brighter better screen by every single comparison -- and the same resolution." --quote from a review I found.

3. I had a few issues with the GPS when I got it, but since going to Froyo(DK17) it locks on almost instantly every time I have used it. Most of the time it says "Accurate to within 2 meters."

7. I use the Seido Innocase and it works great. Not sure of a RAIN resistant case or why you would want a keyboard cover. Best bet is not to use the phone in conditions that would require a Case like you describe.

8. The power port has been Rock Soild since I've owned it. Last I checked it WAS covered under TEP. They replaced my Diamond a while back for this. I could be wrong with the latest changes.

9. Battery life has too many variables to give a good answer. I've been averaging 10 hours, which is about what my TP2 lasted with similar use(moderate-heavy.) Not too Shabby considering The upgraded Specs.

10. Not a fan of extended batteries, usually make the phone ugly and awkward, I'm sure one will come out eventually, but will you trust it not to blow up in your face. Just get an extra battery with a charging dock, or keep a charger at home, in the car, and at work, like I do.

11. Built very solid in my opinion. I also dropped mine onto the concrete from about 3 feet up and it only put a small nick on the side, that's when I ordered the Case. Sliding Keyboard is as solid as it was months ago.

12. I tried about every Rom out there with my Touch Pro2. The Epic runs so great, Stock, that I haven't even cared for a Custom Rom. Haven't seen anything like a kitchen for the TP2, but haven't really looked either.

In conclusion, the Epic is the Sweetest phone I have ever Laid My Eyes On, or had the Pleasure to Use. With Froyo out now, having the ability to play Flash Video from Websites, I can't see any phones coming out for a While that would make me want to Switch.
This post has been thanked 2 times.
Old 12-07-2010, 04:25 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

That's great that it turns into a jet and flies.. But what about the bigger GB's and the WiFi's?

I have played with both the Evo and the Epic 4G in a Sprint store, but playing with a demo phone that's tethered to a counter vs. using it for a couple days in places I go is a big difference. I wish Sprint would provide the option of being able to "check out" a phone to test drive, for say 24 hours.. That would be a much better demo.. But it would probably be a logistical nightmare, and rife with fraud.

The screen is obviously very important, thanks for the comments on it.

That's good about the GPS. I'd be pretty mad if it pooped out on me regularly, as I make use of it quite a bit.

The reason I was asking about things like a rain resistant case is that I spend most of my day in a power wheelchair, and when I'm out & about going from place to place, I occasionally get caught in the rain. Being able to protect the Epic from rain in that situation would be nice, as I'm much more exposed than someone in a car might be. I suppose I can pack a second ziploc bag along with the small ziploc bag and rubber band I carry to protect my joystick/charging port.

Really? I'll have to check my TEP coverage again. Last I knew, they excluded power port damage, calling it abuse.

I know that battery life is very hard to quantify, since everybody's use is different. But I was hoping to get a rough estimation from someone who actually uses the Epic, which is a different scenario than a review, where the reviewer probably doesn't use the phone for very long to get a reliable real world estimate.

I suppose carrying a spare standard battery is my best option, thanks.

Thanks for the build quality assessment. Though I try to be very careful with my gadgets, I do occasionally drop them (my particular disability makes a bit more of a "butterfingers" than I might otherwise be), and I'd hate to see my Epic break from its very first drop.

I've read bits and pieces on other forums that suggest that a kitchen might be available for Android. As good as the stock ROM might be, I'm the type of guy who enjoys pushing the limits of my gadgets, so I'll very likely be looking into it more.

The Epic may very well be a sweet phone, but we all know how this goes - When the next monster of a phone comes out, our Epics will seem very dated.. Been there, done that. But you are correct in that since it covers all of the bases (at least for now), that upgrading isn't a very prominent thought.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gullzway View Post
1. This phone Flies, really it turns into a jet and....., no really if you're coming from a Touch Pro2 as I was you will be stunned how much faster the Epic is, Haven't used an EVO so can't compare them. Have you tried them out at a Sprint Store??

2. Screen is plenty big, and Extremely Beautiful. Mine is rarely set to Full brightness because it's Blinding. I think I read the Evo has 64K colors compared to 16Million on the Epics SAMOLED. "The Epic has a significantly superior GPU, a superior CPU, a brighter better screen by every single comparison -- and the same resolution." --quote from a review I found.

3. I had a few issues with the GPS when I got it, but since going to Froyo(DK17) it locks on almost instantly every time I have used it. Most of the time it says "Accurate to within 2 meters."

7. I use the Seido Innocase and it works great. Not sure of a RAIN resistant case or why you would want a keyboard cover. Best bet is not to use the phone in conditions that would require a Case like you describe.

8. The power port has been Rock Soild since I've owned it. Last I checked it WAS covered under TEP. They replaced my Diamond a while back for this. I could be wrong with the latest changes.

9. Battery life has too many variables to give a good answer. I've been averaging 10 hours, which is about what my TP2 lasted with similar use(moderate-heavy.) Not too Shabby considering The upgraded Specs.

10. Not a fan of extended batteries, usually make the phone ugly and awkward, I'm sure one will come out eventually, but will you trust it not to blow up in your face. Just get an extra battery with a charging dock, or keep a charger at home, in the car, and at work, like I do.

11. Built very solid in my opinion. I also dropped mine onto the concrete from about 3 feet up and it only put a small nick on the side, that's when I ordered the Case. Sliding Keyboard is as solid as it was months ago.

12. I tried about every Rom out there with my Touch Pro2. The Epic runs so great, Stock, that I haven't even cared for a Custom Rom. Haven't seen anything like a kitchen for the TP2, but haven't really looked either.

In conclusion, the Epic is the Sweetest phone I have ever Laid My Eyes On, or had the Pleasure to Use. With Froyo out now, having the ability to play Flash Video from Websites, I can't see any phones coming out for a While that would make me want to Switch.
Old 12-07-2010, 05:24 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Treo750,HTC Touch PRO, DIAMOND, Palm Pre, Epic 4G
Carrier: AT&T and SPRINT

youngblack is keeping up the good workyoungblack is keeping up the good work
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetBearCub View Post

I know what a "kitchen" is... I used it all the time with the htc touch pro back then. But this is a different story... I don't hear the word kitchen anymore.. the cooks make their own roms but you can still remove certain files to fit your personality.

The way its done is you have to root first to remove the samsung default bootloader and flash into clockwork... Customize your rom starting with stock is through the use of clockwork mod and some market apps that require root. I use special tools like titanium backup for removing stock files... clockwork mod for replacing samsungs recovery utility. Clockwork mod can also be used to flash into other roms as well. Even if there's a new gps fix or modem or a new kind of hack for the rom.. it can be added into without reinstalling the entire rom. The file being added can be odexed and packed into a zip file by the cook to make your job easier.. all you have to do is download and install. Take hulu for example...currently adobe flash in android doesn't allow hulu to on our stock browser... Now you can! With a simple odexed zip file and flash it... all it does is modify flash to work with hulu and other things. Be careful when you flash into a rom... some neccessary components or stock files must remain untouched... if you do you can brick your phone. So you need to be smart about what you can add and what you shouldn't remove. You also need to be smart about what roms, kernels, and modems they tell you should not mix together. Lastly you can back up your entire rom that way with clockwork mod and restore them with your custom backup/rom just the way you left them.

If you follow instructions... basically it will come to you with ease. Starting with one click root and the clockwork mod flasher... the procedure is similiar to the update utility found in windows mobile "kitchen" That's all there is to it.

Quote:
Thanks for bearing with me through all these questions. Any other comments that you think would be relevant are also welcomed.
You're welcomed. You may hit the "thanks" button.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk while your mom was putting her clothes on.
This post has been thanked 2 times.
Old 12-07-2010, 08:36 AM
nous défions
Pocket PC: Samsung Galaxy S III
Carrier: Sprint

Johnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

SweetBearCub,

Let me see if I can add a little to this conversation.

Quote:
The 1Ghz Hummingbird is a better, faster processor than the Snapdragon processor that is in the EVO. Some people think that the Snapdragon is not actually a 1Ghz chip, and that HTC just overclocked it. Also, everyone knows HTC rushed the EVO out too fast, and while software updates are great, you can't update the hardware once its in the user's hands. Samsung took their time (and believe me, I was not happy it took so long to release this phone!) and got it right IMO. As far as what makes it bog down, that depends on what ROM you are running. I highly suggest rooting this phone and playing around with some custom ROM's (I'll address why a little farther down)

Quote:
A friend of mine has an EVO and when you hold them side by side the screen size difference is so minimal that it really makes no difference at all. Besides, the huge performance advantage that the Epic has far outweighs 0/3" of screen. I've watched several movies on my Epic and the screen size is great.

Quote:
The community fixed the GPS problem weeks ago, and the Froyo beta leaks have made it even better. It appears that the official Froyo release is coming in the next couple of days (they started trickling out OTA updates 3 days ago to developer phones, so the rest of us should be getting it soon), so even if you don't want to root and go custom, very soon you won't have to worry about it.

Quote:
Seidio make a rugged case that is probably what you are looking for. Its basically the Seidio Surface with a third piece that covers the slider. You can't open the keyboard when its on, but it gives that extra layer of protection.

Seidio Innocase Rugged Holster Combo for Samsung Epic 4G (Black) at MobileCityOnline.com

Quote:
Powermat does not make a system built specifically for the Eipc, but they do have a universal power cube that should work. I have never used any Powermat products, but if you start a new thread in the Accessories section asking about it I'm sure you will get some answers.

Quote:
There are a few aftermarket charging cradles for the Epic, but they are pretty much the same as the one Samsung makes, just cheaper. None of them have gotten very good customer reviews.

Quote:
OK, this is the big issue with the Epic. If you search the PPCG Epic forum for threads about battery life you will find literally hundreds of posts. All that performance requires power, and out of the box the Epic is a battery hog. That's why I recommend rooting and going with custom ROMs. When the devs get their hands on the source code the for kernels they can write custom kernels and play around with over/underclocking and undervolting the processor in order to improve battery life. When I first got mine my battery was lasting about 8 hours. Once I rooted and flashed a custom kernel my battery life went up to 20+ hours, and my phone runs faster. It makes a HUGE difference. The latest Froyo release seems much better - I'm getting 14+ hours on a single charge- and they haven't released the source code yet. Once they do, which should be soon, I bet the devs will make it even better.

Quote:
There is an extended battery for the Epic.

60+ Hours Battery Life, 2800mAh Extended Battery! w. Youtube Review - xda-developers

You can decide if its for you. It will not fit any stock cases.

Quote:
That is an excellent question and probably worth its own thread. I have wondered myself if there is a user-friendly GUI that I can use to mod my phone without having to learn to read/write Linux code. My guess is that there is not. But don't worry, between PPCG and xda there are a lot of chefs cooking up a lot of ROMs, mods and themes. And most of them take requests. Maybe I'll post a new thread asking about this.

If there is anything else you need to know feel free to ask. That's why we are here.
Old 12-07-2010, 10:19 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

Johnny, thanks for the answers to my questions. Very informative.

PPCGeeks > Android > Android Samsung Devices > Samsung Galaxy Series > CDMA-Specific > Sprint Epic 4G