PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android Samsung Devices > Samsung Galaxy Series > CDMA-Specific > Sprint Epic 4G
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2010, 06:17 PM
nous défions
Pocket PC: Samsung Galaxy S III
Carrier: Sprint

Johnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Time Without Signal

I know this was covered in a thread several weeks ago, but I can't find it. Why is my Time Without Signal so high, and is it affecting my battery life? I work with someone with an Evo and his TWS is always around 3%, while mine is always around 65%. I also know someone with a Verizon Fascinate and his TWS is also much lower (right now its 10%). Does anyone else have this issue, and is this a known problem? I have run a dozen different ROMs over the past couple of months and I get the same TWS percentage matter what I'm running, and it didn't change when I went to 2.2.

If you don't know how to check yours press the settings button, then select About Phone>Battery Use>Cell Standby>and then look for the Time Without Signal.
Old 11-28-2010, 06:33 PM
"The Fuzzy One"
Pocket PC: PPC6800 & Touch Pro 2 & Epic 4G

gTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Re: Time Without Signal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny.Bravo View Post
I know this was covered in a thread several weeks ago, but I can't find it. Why is my Time Without Signal so high, and is it affecting my battery life? I work with someone with an Evo and his TWS is always around 3%, while mine is always around 65%. I also know someone with a Verizon Fascinate and his TWS is also much lower (right now its 10%). Does anyone else have this issue, and is this a known problem? I have run a dozen different ROMs over the past couple of months and I get the same TWS percentage matter what I'm running, and it didn't change when I went to 2.2.

If you don't know how to check yours press the settings button, then select About Phone>Battery Use>Cell Standby>and then look for the Time Without Signal.
When you went 2.2 did you also install the modems?

My Time without signal is 0%..but then again I'm in NY lol

http://quickrewards.net/?r=!F94VXV35D5MV2

(My shameless referral link)
Old 11-28-2010, 07:32 PM
nous défions
Threadstarter

Johnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.80 (Android; Opera Mini/5.1.22460/21.572; U; en) Presto/2.5.25 Version/10.54)

Yes I installed the modem. And I very rarely have a full signal...cell service is not very strong here. But the other guys here have the same signal strength as I do.
Old 11-28-2010, 10:26 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2

a_c_s is keeping up the good worka_c_s is keeping up the good worka_c_s is keeping up the good work

It's a well known problem on a lot of Android phones, including some EVOs as well... some with newer Epics appear to not have the problem but I do... the easiest fix until it's officially addressed, is to toggle airplane mode on and then quickly off every time you turn your phone off and/or reboot... the other fix is to use Tasker, and set it to periodically toggle airplane mode (this is what I currently use)... when you toggle airplane mode if TWS is high, watch it over the next couple hours and it will creep down dramatically to low single digits eventually... good luck...
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 11-28-2010, 10:45 PM
nous défions
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by a_c_s View Post
It's a well known problem on a lot of Android phones, including some EVOs as well... some with newer Epics appear to not have the problem but I do... the easiest fix until it's officially addressed, is to toggle airplane mode on and then quickly off every time you turn your phone off and/or reboot... the other fix is to use Tasker, and set it to periodically toggle airplane mode (this is what I currently use)... when you toggle airplane mode if TWS is high, watch it over the next couple hours and it will creep down dramatically to low single digits eventually... good luck...
So is this just a trick to reset the statistics or does it actually make a difference so that you get better service and better battery life?
Old 11-29-2010, 03:52 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2

a_c_s is keeping up the good worka_c_s is keeping up the good worka_c_s is keeping up the good work

It is not a trick... it fixes the issue somehow... it is not just gaming the numbers... your TWS goes down dramatically, which is what affects your battery drain... I don't know what it is about toggling airplane mode, but somebody figured this out early on and it does actually work... my battery is noticeable better than if I cold boot and don't toggle...

Last edited by darren.wlsn1; 11-29-2010 at 04:20 PM.
Old 11-29-2010, 04:21 PM
acs tester
Pocket PC: diamond/tp1/tp2/MoFo/touch 4g
Carrier: ppcgeeks/sprint

darren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via MSN to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via Yahoo to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via Skype™ to darren.wlsn1

Quote:
Originally Posted by a_c_s View Post
It is not a trick... it fixes the issue somehow... it is not just gaming the numbers... your TWS goes down dramatically, which is what affects your battery drain... I don't know what it is about toggling airplane mode, but somebody figured this out early on and it does actually work... my battery is noticeable better than if I cold boot and don't toggle...
been doing this from day one with epic, works for me.
Old 11-29-2010, 04:27 PM
nous défions
Threadstarter

Wow, I gotta say I'm amazed. Its already working. If you had given me 100 years I never would have figured that out. Thanks!!
Old 11-29-2010, 04:38 PM
acs tester
Pocket PC: diamond/tp1/tp2/MoFo/touch 4g
Carrier: ppcgeeks/sprint

darren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via MSN to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via Yahoo to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via Skype™ to darren.wlsn1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny.Bravo View Post
Wow, I gotta say I'm amazed. Its already working. If you had given me 100 years I never would have figured that out. Thanks!!
i agree, someone told me too bro. thats what makes ppcg fun, now you know and will pass it on soon to someone else.
Old 11-29-2010, 04:41 PM
nous défions
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by darren.wlsn1 View Post
i agree, someone told me too bro. thats what makes ppcg fun, now you know and will pass it on soon to someone else.
I'll do more than that. When I get home I'm going to add this to the wiki.

PPCGeeks > Android > Android Samsung Devices > Samsung Galaxy Series > CDMA-Specific > Sprint Epic 4G