PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android Samsung Devices > Samsung Galaxy Series > CDMA-Specific > Sprint Epic 4G
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2011, 09:37 PM
VIP MVP
Pocket PC: TP Dos/OG Epic/Touch
Carrier: Sprint
Threadstarter

masetas knows their stuffmasetas knows their stuffmasetas knows their stuffmasetas knows their stuffmasetas knows their stuffmasetas knows their stuffmasetas knows their stuff
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Gten and all the EPIC 4g owners

Quote:
Originally Posted by mookiemoo View Post
i just switched over from the TP2 myself last week, and the first thing i noticed is the amazing speed of which the processor works. It is refreshing not to sit and wait on the device. Of course the apps are wonderful options as well. It was a great move. I needed a phone with speed, versatility but most importantly, A KEYBOARD!
Welcome to Epicland which is aka Happy land ....LOL

Old 05-03-2011, 09:45 PM
VIP MVP
Threadstarter

masetas knows their stuffmasetas knows their stuffmasetas knows their stuffmasetas knows their stuffmasetas knows their stuffmasetas knows their stuffmasetas knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsowen View Post
so @gTen will be tickled pink, I just made the switch from the EVO to the Epic 4G.
Your phone info still says EVO....LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by shane6374 View Post
Ummm.... Masetas (the OP) has had the Epic for months already. FYI
TexasAggie ive had it since early December. Odin,Rooted,Custom Rom (ACS), OC, Custom Theme installed so its been a while since that post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shane6374 View Post
This thread just got dug up from the dead. Thanks Tso!
Its AAALLIIIVVVVEEEE like my homie Frankenstein
Old 05-04-2011, 11:15 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: TP2, Epic 4G

rallynavvie is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

I must have missed this post as I was looking for TP2 owners who had switched to the Epic. I have my phone through work and we were offered upgrades to the Evo, Shift, Epic, and Arrive last month. I went with the Epic as I didn't want to risk WM7 and I liked the OLED display on the Samsung over the HTC LCDs. Here is my somewhat (overly) analytical review:

My biggest complaint about the Epic right now is the charge complete notifications, namely the pop-up and the sunlight-bright blue LED. I charge my phone in the dock next to my bed and use Night Clock as an alarm clock interface. The amber charging light is dim enough that it doesn't bother me but the blue one lights up my bedroom and is even enough to wake me up if I roll over and face it. The pop-up and the associated alert sound are also silly, and they keep the screen on for quite a while and override Night Clock when the alarm eventually goes off. I don't understand why Samsung would have a notification like this when most people charge their phones while they're sleeping and often keep their phone near their bed.

The Outlook integration is lacking on Android. Since this is a work phone I need a lot of Outlook functionality that my TP2 had. For instance the ability to view AD account details (Outlook Contact details) for everyone on an email, update/notify others on changes to meetings, and the ability to dismiss/snooze meeting notifications/alarms. I also miss the stock calendar view that WM6.5 had. I'd be willing to pay plenty for a rich Outlook client that offers all of these features.

For some reason I have two Facebook clients listed under "Accounts and Sync" settings. Neither of which seem to update their respective contacts. I imported my contacts from my TP2 through export to CSV, import to Gmail, then synch to phone. The contacts have all been "joined" to merge their Gmail and FB and their FB photos appear in my Contacts list but when they call or text they don't show their profile photos.

I am one of the few that find PenTile annoying, but I can tolerate it. I'm really liking the black-heavy themes to show off the blacks of the OLED and save on battery.

I'm not sold yet on capacitive touch. Multi-touch is wonderful, don't get me wrong, but I can still butt-dial people which I didn't think was possible with capacitive touchscreens. I also miss the days of taking handwritten notes with a stylus, it was a nice backup when I forgot to bring a notepad to a meeting.

The Galaxy S hardware seems flimsier than the HTC stuff. I actually liked the Arrive's hardware. While the Epic is lighter due to its build there are some minor annoyances like my phone has a slightly greater gap between the two halves on the upper left.

Stock ROM on the Epic from Sprint doesn't have two volume settings for vibrate and silent. It's either one or the other or both at the same time. TP2 volume rocker had each setting separately. I use vibrate when I'm carrying the phone around but silent when I'm sitting in a meeting with it on the table in front of me.

The dual-stage camera button is a nice touch. It's sometimes easier to use it than tapping the screen. Camera is also much better than the TP2.

I miss the speakerphone function of the TP2 immensely. It's probably the biggest thing I miss about it. Putting a phone call face down on a surface and having it automatically kick in the speakerphone was very handy, made even more so by having a mute button (with status light!) on the backside. I'm sure there's an app for the speakerphone when face down but we don't have the hardware button with light on the back.

I've heard some complaints about the backlit hard keys on the bottom (menu, home, back, search) where you can't see them when the backlight turns off. Really? It's four buttons. I already have them memorized and know where they are on the phone without even being able to see them.

I've been able to get BT DUN working on the Epic with PDANet but I don't think it works with 4G? I don't use WiFi sharing as the battery drain for that is far greater than a single BT link for internet sharing. I used to have this set up perfectly on my Mogul, and the crap BT stack on the TP2 prevented it entirely, but I was hoping the Epic would have a hack for it all.
Old 05-04-2011, 12:20 PM
"The Fuzzy One"
Pocket PC: PPC6800 & Touch Pro 2 & Epic 4G

gTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rallynavvie View Post
My biggest complaint about the Epic right now is the charge complete notifications, namely the pop-up and the sunlight-bright blue LED.
We have mods to kill the popup notification..not sure abotu the blue color though :/

Quote:
The Outlook integration is lacking on Android. Since this is a work phone I need a lot of Outlook functionality that my TP2 had. For instance the ability to view AD account details (Outlook Contact details) for everyone on an email, update/notify others on changes to meetings, and the ability to dismiss/snooze meeting notifications/alarms. I also miss the stock calendar view that WM6.5 had. I'd be willing to pay plenty for a rich Outlook client that offers all of these features.
If your on 2.2.1 and it doesnt have what you need..try TouchDown app

TouchDown™ Features

Quote:
I've been able to get BT DUN working on the Epic with PDANet but I don't think it works with 4G? I don't use WiFi sharing as the battery drain for that is far greater than a single BT link for internet sharing. I used to have this set up perfectly on my Mogul, and the crap BT stack on the TP2 prevented it entirely, but I was hoping the Epic would have a hack for it all.
once we get cm7, it will include a lot of BT features.

http://quickrewards.net/?r=!F94VXV35D5MV2

(My shameless referral link)
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 05-04-2011, 02:42 PM
N00b

rallynavvie is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by gTen View Post
We have mods to kill the popup notification..not sure abotu the blue color though :/
I had come across a mod but someone said it caused more issues than it resolved. Do you have a clean one?

And isn't CM7 already out for the Epic?
Old 05-04-2011, 02:57 PM
O-Matic
Pocket PC: Vogue, TP2, Epic 4G, Nexus S, Galaxy SIII, Nexus 4
Carrier: Big Pink

shane6374 is a VIPshane6374 is a VIPshane6374 is a VIPshane6374 is a VIPshane6374 is a VIPshane6374 is a VIPshane6374 is a VIPshane6374 is a VIPshane6374 is a VIPshane6374 is a VIPshane6374 is a VIP
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to shane6374
Quote:
I had come across a mod but someone said it caused more issues than it resolved. Do you have a clean one?

Cm7 is only in beta on the epic. Wait till we get the nexus s, that should help cm development.

Sent from my Epic 4G running the midNIGHT rom via Tapatalk

Remember to clickon those who help! It's right down there.
Old 05-04-2011, 03:00 PM
"The Fuzzy One"

gTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the community

Quote:
What are you rom are you running now?

Also I used ACS 1.1 rom and it has it removed by default..same for midnight rom I hear..

Quote:
IT is but its not final yet..so I wouldnt suggest it for every day use.
Old 05-04-2011, 03:48 PM
N00b

rallynavvie is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by gTen View Post
What are you rom are you running now?

Also I used ACS 1.1 rom and it has it removed by default..same for midnight rom I hear..
I am just using the stock Sprint 2.2.1 build. One of the reasons I was hesitant to jump into a new ROM right away was losing a couple of the Sprint-ware apps (Nav and NFL). However it looks like rooting with ClockwordMod allows you to swap ROMs pretty easily?
Old 05-04-2011, 03:55 PM
"The Fuzzy One"

Quote:
I am just using the stock Sprint 2.2.1 build. One of the reasons I was hesitant to jump into a new ROM right away was losing a couple of the Sprint-ware apps (Nav and NFL). However it looks like rooting with ClockwordMod allows you to swap ROMs pretty easily?
yes its fairly easy..and in worst case you got odin to back you up..

One thing to note though is if you go with an EXT4 rom make sure to enable Journaling.

And Sprintware apps can be loaded back in on custom roms.
Old 05-04-2011, 05:07 PM
VIP MVP
Threadstarter

Quote:

The Galaxy S hardware seems flimsier than the HTC stuff. I actually liked the Arrive's hardware. While the Epic is lighter due to its build there are some minor annoyances like my phone has a slightly greater gap between the two halves on the upper left.

I miss the speakerphone function of the TP2 immensely. It's probably the biggest thing I miss about it. Putting a phone call face down on a surface and having it automatically kick in the speakerphone was very handy, made even more so by having a mute button (with status light!) on the backside. I'm sure there's an app for the speakerphone when face down but we don't have the hardware button with light on the back.
I Can already see a post from Eric123 regarding the part where he mentions the Arrive

Is there such an app that can make the call go directly to speakerphone when you put the phone face down

PPCGeeks > Android > Android Samsung Devices > Samsung Galaxy Series > CDMA-Specific > Sprint Epic 4G