PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android Samsung Devices > Samsung Galaxy Series > CDMA-Specific > Sprint Epic 4G
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-15-2010, 09:09 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

oranges311 is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
the nervous noob...

i know these questions have to be covered elsewhere but ill always be nervous unless i have a one on one conversation about them lol. so bare with me pls.

can anyone give me an overview of what rooting is? is it similar to unlocking a touch pro so u can do custom roms?

is rooting required to get free wifi tethering?

is there a way to change the theme or w/e to change the cartoony quick links ( the phone contacts messgin apps ones) on the bottom?

how about changing the drag to unlock funciton? the epics screen is so big its a little awkward swiping up that far lol

thanks guys thats all i can think of for now any help is greatly appreciated im coming from a touch pro so this is a whole new ballgame for me lol
Old 09-15-2010, 09:18 PM
"The Fuzzy One"
Pocket PC: PPC6800 & Touch Pro 2 & Epic 4G

gTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Re: the nervous noob...

Quote:
Originally Posted by oranges311 View Post
i know these questions have to be covered elsewhere but ill always be nervous unless i have a one on one conversation about them lol. so bare with me pls.

can anyone give me an overview of what rooting is? is it similar to unlocking a touch pro so u can do custom roms?
Not exactly...it is more closer to jail breaking..think of it as allowing you to become Admin on your cellphone rather then a regular user.

Quote:
is rooting required to get free wifi tethering?
Yes

Quote:
is there a way to change the theme or w/e to change the cartoony quick links ( the phone contacts messgin apps ones) on the bottom?

how about changing the drag to unlock funciton? the epics screen is so big its a little awkward swiping up that far lol
These are all part of tocuhwiz..you can either get things like launcher pro or remove touchwiz and use stock..you may be able to theme TW itself but at this point with TW2.5 there isnt much point

http://quickrewards.net/?r=!F94VXV35D5MV2

(My shameless referral link)
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 09-15-2010, 09:54 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

thanks man just a little more clarification please. im not too familiar with jailbreaking either. what are the advantages (other than the wifi tethering) are there too rooting it?

what did you mean by at this point with tw 2.5 there isnt much point?

thanks again
Old 09-15-2010, 11:21 PM
"The Fuzzy One"
Pocket PC: PPC6800 & Touch Pro 2 & Epic 4G

gTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Quote:
thanks man just a little more clarification please. im not too familiar with jailbreaking either. what are the advantages (other than the wifi tethering) are there too rooting it?

what did you mean by at this point with tw 2.5 there isnt much point?

thanks again
Ok think of it as in Windows..how on Administrator you can do certain things you cant as a regular user...thats what rooting is..you get more privileges. You can get better backup apps, wifi tethering and more rooted.

all the other Galaxy S are TW3..we got TW2.5...in next update chances are we gonna get TW3 as well...for now just try launcher pro and see if you like it.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 09-15-2010, 11:26 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Alright thanks a lot man for ur help
Old 09-16-2010, 07:22 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Epic 4G
Carrier: Sprint postpaid

daddymikey1975 is becoming a PPCGeeks regulardaddymikey1975 is becoming a PPCGeeks regulardaddymikey1975 is becoming a PPCGeeks regulardaddymikey1975 is becoming a PPCGeeks regulardaddymikey1975 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
Alright thanks a lot man for ur help
To add, when you use launcher Pro and add a link to the bottom, it allows you to use different icons. I believe you can find more icons that may suit your taste. That is a very neat function of Laincher Pro.

ALSO, your question about the lock screen.. There are several lock screen apps that allow you to customize your lock screen and have different style "lockers".. widget locker is one that I've used before but there are others.

Look around in the market and see what you can find..

Hope this helps
Old 09-16-2010, 07:40 AM
nous défions
Pocket PC: Samsung Galaxy S III

Johnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

Have you checked out the Wiki on the Epic? There is a lot of good information there that can answer most FAQ's.

http://wiki.ppcgeeks.com/index.php?title=Sprint_Epic_4g

PPCGeeks > Android > Android Samsung Devices > Samsung Galaxy Series > CDMA-Specific > Sprint Epic 4G