PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android Samsung Devices > Samsung Galaxy Series > CDMA-Specific > Sprint Epic 4G
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-09-2010, 06:11 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro
Carrier: sprint

crazaytalent is keeping up the good workcrazaytalent is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Epic Hardware version????

Quote:
Originally Posted by nadcicle20 View Post
Just got mine today and same version. Also have gps issues. It's only accurate up to thirty thousand or so meters. Whatever that's about. I even made sure network assist was on. Oh well.

Sent from my bangin zack morris bag phone!
when I want to use my gps I turn on "use wireless networks", "Use Gps satellites" (both in Location and security settings) and "background data" in (accounts and sync settings)... and gps is accurate within seconds... are u doing the same? ... If not, try it; maybe it will help?!
Old 09-12-2010, 09:06 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: MOGUL, TP1, TP2, EVO, EPIC 4g
Carrier: Sprint

nadcicle20 is just getting started
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazaytalent View Post
when I want to use my gps I turn on "use wireless networks", "Use Gps satellites" (both in Location and security settings) and "background data" in (accounts and sync settings)... and gps is accurate within seconds... are u doing the same? ... If not, try it; maybe it will help?!
Sure did but the problem is that even if I do get a lock it is only standing outside holding the phone in the sky with an aluminum foil hat on and its only accurate within 3000 meters or so. Then if I move a foot GPS drops and starts over.

Sent from my bangin zack morris bag phone!
Old 09-12-2010, 02:34 PM
nous défions
Pocket PC: Samsung Galaxy S III

Johnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by nadcicle20 View Post
Sure did but the problem is that even if I do get a lock it is only standing outside holding the phone in the sky with an aluminum foil hat on and its only accurate within 3000 meters or so. Then if I move a foot GPS drops and starts over.
You might want to consider taking it back to Sprint and swapping it out for another one. Mine works like a charm. Even with everything off, I turn on the GPS and BAM! it has me in 3 seconds.
Old 09-13-2010, 08:42 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: MOGUL, TP1, TP2, EVO, EPIC 4g

nadcicle20 is just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksfoster View Post
You might want to consider taking it back to Sprint and swapping it out for another one. Mine works like a charm. Even with everything off, I turn on the GPS and BAM! it has me in 3 seconds.

Yah I think i am going to have to do this. I am still doing my 5 day battery training right now... so far averaging about 12 to 14 hours a charge. Afterwards, I was going to try a hard reset then try the GPS again though. I am definitely sticking with the EPIC since we aren't getting any new good phones to sprint this year though.
Old 09-13-2010, 08:58 PM
rdm
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro, Treo Pro

rdm is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksfoster View Post
You might want to consider taking it back to Sprint and swapping it out for another one.
I don't know if that will do any good. I spoke to Sprint this morning and they a said they have a couple of known issue with GPS.

3000 meters, or 300 meters or anything over 30 meters indicates a total GPS fail and a location based on land antenna.

The symptoms I have are my Epic seeing the GPS Satellites but not using them for a position lock and falling back to the rough estimates from land antenna. It does this intermittently, usually if I have not fully turned of the Phone in a the prior 24 hours. If I have turned the phone on and off recently I get a very quick GPS lock.

I also called to day about problems with speed because of problem using Qik. I tested using four testing sites and two test apps and my download speed was 80 to 148kb. I was first told 3G is not capable of more than 150 download and that Qik cannot work on 3G. I went to my local store and the Epic there was getting 132 down and the Evo was getting 228 to 312 down.
Old 09-13-2010, 09:11 PM
"The Fuzzy One"
Pocket PC: PPC6800 & Touch Pro 2 & Epic 4G

gTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdm View Post
I don't know if that will do any good. I spoke to Sprint this morning and they a said they have a couple of known issue with GPS.

3000 meters, or 300 meters or anything over 30 meters indicates a total GPS fail and a location based on land antenna.

The symptoms I have are my Epic seeing the GPS Satellites but not using them for a position lock and falling back to the rough estimates from land antenna. It does this intermittently, usually if I have not fully turned of the Phone in a the prior 24 hours. If I have turned the phone on and off recently I get a very quick GPS lock.
The current issue which remains in the GPS that samsung promised to fix is the multipath issue..which pretty much means its not calculating in the bouncing off objects thus getting inaccurate reading.

Quote:
I also called to day about problems with speed because of problem using Qik. I tested using four testing sites and two test apps and my download speed was 80 to 148kb. I was first told 3G is not capable of more than 150 download and that Qik cannot work on 3G. I went to my local store and the Epic there was getting 132 down and the Evo was getting 228 to 312 down.
I found my signal to be on par with my TP2 so don't know what to say, might be because my area just has good signals...from what I hear others are saying is EVO used to be the same and after a few radio updates got better.

http://quickrewards.net/?r=!F94VXV35D5MV2

(My shameless referral link)
Old 09-14-2010, 02:42 PM
rdm
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro, Treo Pro

rdm is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by gTen View Post
The current issue which remains in the GPS that samsung promised to fix is the multipath issue..which pretty much means its not calculating in the bouncing off objects thus getting inaccurate reading.
I don't see this as mulipath at all, at least not on my Epic. The Chipset Samsung is using is used by other makers without multipath problems, and multipath is rejected at the chip.

What my Epic is doing causing GPS to fail, is it is seeing many satellites which it cannot lock onto. When it locks GPS it is accurate. This specifically points to some other type of problem, more precisely incorrect xTra data.

Samsung has had previuos obsolete xTtra data persistence problems, specifically on Omnia. The symptoms I am seeing are identical: Good lock in morning, no lock that afternoon, remedied after full boot of phone. I am not changin the mulipath with that excercise, I am removing the now invalid xTRa data and requesting it anew from the assistance server.
Old 09-19-2010, 01:06 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Samsung Epic

yahknow1 is just getting started

Hey, I was just wondering if anyone else had a phone update recently? Yesterday I was instructed that there was a system update for my phone and if I wanted to go ahead and "Update Now?" I said yes and tried to see if I could tell exactly what it was updating but I'm not sure? I remembered this thread and came back to see if my version had changed. I'm now at these versions:

Firmware: 2.1 - Update1
Baseband: S : D700.0.5S.DI07

Does anyone know what that update was?

Last edited by yahknow1; 09-19-2010 at 01:08 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 09-19-2010, 01:12 PM
lt cmdr of a garbage scow
Pocket PC: epic 4g
Carrier: sprint

austin420 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsaustin420 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsaustin420 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsaustin420 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsaustin420 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsaustin420 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsaustin420 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsaustin420 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsaustin420 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsaustin420 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsaustin420 should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)

basically it just added the samsung media hub. a worthless update that just added a revenue stream to samsung instead of any real fixes.

This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 09-19-2010, 09:16 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Samsung Epic

yahknow1 is just getting started

Ah, I see. Well thanks for the info.

Paul

PPCGeeks > Android > Android Samsung Devices > Samsung Galaxy Series > CDMA-Specific > Sprint Epic 4G