PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android Samsung Devices > Samsung Galaxy Series > CDMA-Specific > Sprint Epic 4G
Register Community Search

Notices

View Poll Results: Better before or after reset
better before 1 6.67%
better after 5 33.33%
no change 9 60.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-06-2010, 10:43 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 3D
Carrier: Sprint

yankees45us is becoming a PPCGeeks regularyankees45us is becoming a PPCGeeks regularyankees45us is becoming a PPCGeeks regularyankees45us is becoming a PPCGeeks regularyankees45us is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Well, for those who think switching to the evo will give them better battery life,i would think twice. I have the evo and I was thinking of switching to the epic. I already swapped my phone once and it got better battery life but by 2:30 pm I'm under 15%. It is horrible. I miss my tp2 for the battery life. Oh well. Having 2 batteries helps.

Sent from my Evo using Tapatalk
Old 09-07-2010, 01:46 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2 CDMA

beejmeister is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Re: Sprint Epic Battery Life test

Quote:
Originally Posted by vansmack View Post
So I did this on Saturday after getting really poor battery life all week (dead by 5pm) and it definitely worked. It stayed active all day yesterday finishing at 29% around 11pm and is at about 34% at 7pm tonight.

Each day I'm (re)adding a widget to see which one might have been bleeding me dry. Thus far I can rule out Beauftiful Widgets and the Facebook widget....

Thanks for the idea!
I also tried this... and it appears that it is better... and I 'think' that I am getting a bit faster charging as well.

I admit, I went a little app crazy last week and maybe I got an app or two that decided that run Google ads when the phone was even off! I don't know... Coming from a TP2, this whole Google ad thing (while I understand the concept of "free" apps, they are annoying) is pretty weird.

I'm wondering if there are particular apps that are battery eaters and in addition to eating battery quickly when NOT plugged in... actually eat juice so fast that they are also the cause of very slow charging...

Anyway... I to am being somewhat more cautious with the apps as well and trying to see who/what the culprit may have been.

I'm cautiously pleased with some improvement but still disappointed in even this improved battery life.... Can't wait until my two additional batteries and the extra charger get here this week! Then all I have to do is figure out how to carry around two extra batteries in my pocket without them blowing up!
ROM: What day is it?
Old 09-07-2010, 11:59 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC Evo 4g LTE

Fosters is a n00b

One thing I've noticed is that battery life is inversely proportional with the number of meetings and conference calls I have to go to... I wonder if I can expense a Seidio extended battery when they come out...
Old 09-07-2010, 10:16 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro

bondosho is a n00b

I pulled mine off the charger at 8am. It's now 7:15pm, and it shows 28% battery. I'm using LauncherPro instead of TouchWiz, and have the Facebook, Twitter, and Weather & Toggle Widget updating every couple hours. I'm also running static wallpaper, wireless and 4g turned off (not in my area anyway). I've used it moderately today...really no different than any other day, and battery has been very good.

BUT when I first got it, I was surfing the internet, and checking out everything on it (my first Android phone) while my dad was in surgery with WiFi turned on. It died in about 4 hours.
Old 09-08-2010, 08:25 PM
B5Z
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Samsung Epic 4G

B5Z knows their stuffB5Z knows their stuffB5Z knows their stuffB5Z knows their stuffB5Z knows their stuffB5Z knows their stuff

Thanks pzztgotbagz! After a few days of having horrible battery life, I did what you recommended and did a Factory Data Reset.

I was skeptical, however, today my battery life was by far better!!! Coincidence? Maybe, but today my battery was much better...we'll see if it continues from here.

I made sure to hit that "Thanks" button!
Old 09-09-2010, 07:08 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Epic 4G
Carrier: Sprint postpaid

daddymikey1975 is becoming a PPCGeeks regulardaddymikey1975 is becoming a PPCGeeks regulardaddymikey1975 is becoming a PPCGeeks regulardaddymikey1975 is becoming a PPCGeeks regulardaddymikey1975 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

I did this and re-installed all the same apps I had previously. Batt. life still stunk.

So I removed all the apps, re wiped, then picked a few different apps, turned off gps, minimum screen brightness, didn't allow my weather to auto. update (except when device wakes).. getting a bit better but nothing spectacular. I DID read about "laptop mode" that's supposed to increase battery life immensely. There's a guy cooking up a ROM w/ this .. supposed to release this week some time (Sorry, not to thread jack). I've googled everywhere for this mode and can't seem to find anything on it..

hope this helps.
Old 09-10-2010, 12:18 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Sprint Epic 4G
Carrier: sprint

trilasonet is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by real shift View Post
Well, I have had my Epic for a week now and think the battery life is very comparable to the Evo's pre 2.2. Honestely, I noticed a large jump in battery life with the Evo after the OTA. I can't complain about the length of time I am getting with my Epic's battery: 4 hrs heavy use, 6 hrs medium, 8-10 no use. My screen brightness is set to Auto. I went ahead and added the sprint's wifi package this morning, turned on the 4g and surfed on my laptop until I got the first battery warning, which was three and a half hours. Not to shabby running 4g and kicking wifi. I do use Samsung's built in app manager to close programs, mainly for the World War game. Otherwise I'm running pretty stock and am pretty happy with my current battery life. I am hoping that Froyo will give me another hour or two. My biggest problem with this phone is the lack of sensitivity of the 4 bottom bezel buttons. I constantly am hitting home or menu three or four times. I may take this phone back just for that. I have friends who say their buttons are extremely sensitive. Any thoughts?

Agreed with the sensitivity on the bottom buttons... annoying the crap out of me.. i have to hit the menu button 4 times to get it to come up.

-trila
Sprint Mogul, 6800 HTC 1.5 years
Old 09-10-2010, 06:20 AM
nous défions
Pocket PC: Samsung Galaxy S III

Johnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

After several days of letting the phone run down completely until it turns itself off my battery life has noticeably improved. Yesterday I took it off the charger at 7:00 am and when I finally went to sleep last night at 11:00 pm it was still at about 15%. Usage for the day was what I consider typical - made a couple of dozen phone calls, a few text messages, kept checking/reading my email all day and whenever I needed to Google something I used my phone. For a smartphone with all the features that this has, that's really all I can ask for.
Old 09-10-2010, 09:18 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro
Carrier: sprint

crazaytalent is keeping up the good workcrazaytalent is keeping up the good work

Hmm ive always though I had really decent battery w/ this device...from day one (i got it on launch day)... never factory reset or anything... but maybe they did that when i was at best buy, not sure but i dont think so...

For the 1st few days, It'd start dying getting low (40-30 percent) in about 6hr w/ extreme heavy use; im talking massive screen usage, web surfing, video games, pandora streaming, chatting on palringo, gps testing using, google maps, 4 square etc multiple texts and phone calls... to me 6 hours was pretty good because coming from touch pro i often barely got 8 hr w/ little to no usage... so Im so condition to either carrying my charger or usb cable, i was doing the same for epic and honestly after 6 hrs and seeing my phone get to about 40-30 percent i just plugged it in. So i never saw it go any lower really.

Day before yester i had multiple dr appts some other appts where i had to wait back to back and didnt have the conveince of pluggin it in, but similar heavy usage as describe above, more intensive however becuase i did multiple hours of streaming music(4) and playing games(2), masive texts and calls while i waited... about 5-6 hr later I for the first time got that low battery warning and was about 20 percent, made it home an hour later and plugged it back on charger...

so after browsing the boards and seeing everyones different veiws on the battery life i wanted to test and see how much life i could actually get on my device... leads me to yesterday where I had a long work day and I accidently forgot my charger decided to see how long i could go w/ minimal use.... Sense i learned the trick to keep my screen brightness on low and to adjust direct from home screen w/ going into setting was a big help, also turning off background data and all gps settings. i did about a hr music streaming to work, mild text at the job (10-15), a few short phone calls, very brief browsing and gps usage when i was out and about after work w/ a few more texts maybe 5 or so... and playing games for an hour on subway ride home... very light usage for me but comparable to my touch pro usage which would die in 8hrs w/ less usage than that... anyway pit it back on the charge 13 and a hlf hrs later and still had 50% battery (no exaggeration) and all I could say was wow... I could used the phone a lot more as I was itching too...lo

All in all Im very impressed, for me personally im having excellent battery life... and think once you really get the hang of adjusting the setting as u need them could be a big help... but regardless... weather heavy usage of light, i cant complain at all...
Old 09-12-2010, 04:41 PM
Knowledge Is True Opinion
Pocket PC: iPhone 4S
Carrier: Vzw

Carla is a trusted member of the communityCarla is a trusted member of the communityCarla is a trusted member of the communityCarla is a trusted member of the communityCarla is a trusted member of the communityCarla is a trusted member of the communityCarla is a trusted member of the communityCarla is a trusted member of the communityCarla is a trusted member of the communityCarla is a trusted member of the communityCarla is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to Carla

Moved to General Epic 4G Discussion

PPCGeeks > Android > Android Samsung Devices > Samsung Galaxy Series > CDMA-Specific > Sprint Epic 4G