PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android Samsung Devices > Samsung Galaxy Series > CDMA-Specific > Sprint Epic 4G > Sprint Epic 4G Development
Register Community Search

Notices

View Poll Results: Since using midNIGHT ROM, have you become more Autism Aware?
Yes. Keep up the good work. 66 94.29%
No. You need to focus a bit more on that. 4 5.71%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2011, 09:37 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Epic $g
Carrier: Sprint

in354 is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: [ROM] midNIGHT ROM v4.0 (BYOR Edition) 2/24/2011

I've never seen an option to restore just the data in cwm3. didn't know you could do that. You flash, reload apps, then restore data? Or are you restoring apps and data?

as far as quantum while I get that it isn't a good test between phones or the like but I would think it would be a good indicator of the same phone, both with ext4 and and the only real difference would be the rom. Although I did see a thread last night over at XDA about quantum being specifically for another processor.

I've seen a few threads about setcpu settings between conservative or ondemand. I've also seen where the OP on the Genocide kernel says use conservative. So I've just been using conservative. However, I've tried both and haven't seen any difference either way.

thanks, have everything backed up again and will give it another go. I'd rather make 4x work since that's where its going from this point forward.
Old 03-01-2011, 11:36 AM
Lurker

in354 is a n00b

could use a little help here I guess. So far I'm not doing so well, never had this much trouble.

Odin, to stock eb13.
Boot, go straight in to clockwork 3 install
boot straight into clockwork recovery, it converts to ext4
install v4.0, boot
don't sign in, but 4 finger back to recovery, install new v4 circle batt theme.
boot, everything looks normal. haven't installed any apps yet through the extras.
4 finger to recovery, install 4.1, boot loop. blue circle, buzz, blue circle two buzzes, repeat.

Start all over, this time skip the theme, all is ok through 4.1 install, install theme, same boot loop

Third time, I start over, I figure i'll sign into v4 and let everything settle in and I immediately get a launcher pro fc after I sign into google. go ahead and install 4.1 update.. boot loop.

Sorry to be such a pain, but I would've thought this should be a straight forward process since I was coming from a clean eb13 install from scratch.

Getting ready to start again but I'm not sure what I should be doing different.

Edit: On the fourth try I got it up and running with just 4 and 4.1 update and skipping the theme. Installed just the basic apps. Installed just a few of the testing apps, quandrant, linpack, etc. no difference. So I restored my last 3.3 nandroid backup and it was a night and day difference. just in screens and apps running, before running any benchmark tests. I did notice that on my 3.3 version I had genocide 0.2a running versus 0.3a. Now I'm restoring back to my nandroid backup from this morning and maybe try it again later. thanks.

Last edited by in354; 03-01-2011 at 12:16 PM.
Old 03-01-2011, 01:37 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Samsung Epic 4G

TallGuyTech is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by in354 View Post
I've never seen an option to restore just the data in cwm3. didn't know you could do that. You flash, reload apps, then restore data? Or are you restoring apps and data?

as far as quantum while I get that it isn't a good test between phones or the like but I would think it would be a good indicator of the same phone, both with ext4 and and the only real difference would be the rom. Although I did see a thread last night over at XDA about quantum being specifically for another processor.

I've seen a few threads about setcpu settings between conservative or ondemand. I've also seen where the OP on the Genocide kernel says use conservative. So I've just been using conservative. However, I've tried both and haven't seen any difference either way.

thanks, have everything backed up again and will give it another go. I'd rather make 4x work since that's where its going from this point forward.
Let us know your results. I was wondering the same thing. I had Quadrant results in the high 1900 ... now it's between 1450 and 1550. I did load the Standard edition after the BYOR ... not sure if that makes a difference.

I'm thinking of starting over myself, sticking with the BYOR and loading very few apps at a time.
Old 03-01-2011, 01:45 PM
nous défions
Pocket PC: Samsung Galaxy S III

Johnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

Quote:

I assume you know how to make a nandroid backup with Clockwork, but just in case, I'll go over that too:

To backup go into Clockworkmod and scroll down to Backup and Restore>Backup

Once its done you can now flash your new ROM.

After the new ROM is booted and running smoothly, go back into Clockwork and go to Backup and Restore>Advanced Restore>select the backup you made earlier>Restore data

That's it. It will restore everything. Apps, data, phone log, text messages, game progress....everything.
Old 03-01-2011, 02:30 PM
Lurker

in354 is a n00b

Ah, never actually used the advanced restore, just fully restoring a given system. nice.

However, I've downloaded all of the files again, 4.0, 4.1 update, and themes all from a different mirror, and it definitely doesn't make a difference. This thing isn't even close to ver 3.3. Only thing I haven't downloaded again is the clockwork.

a full clean install from eb13 to v4.0 and genocide 0.3a (no 4.1 and no theme) isn't any different than when I started. Now I'm really confused.

Quadrant 1450, was over 2000 with 3.3 and genocide 0.2a.
Linpack 15.25, was over 18
Smartbench is 1288/2839 way down

this probably isn't a real issue, most things run ok. one app that is very dependent on speed runs fair, but used to run really well under 3.3. Just seems to me that something isn't quite right.
Old 03-01-2011, 05:10 PM
Lurker

in354 is a n00b

Ok, I've been back and fourth with this all day. After finally restoring my last 3.3 nandroid backup and looking at it, testing the speeds, could it be possible that my previous v3.3 had the no journaling mod from Randy_T? Prior to Midnight 3.3 I had a different rom that had the journaling mod. Could that have carried over to my previous v3.3? I had just done the wipe 3x and flashed midnight 3.3.

A straight 3.3 install from a clean odin to dk28 does NOT give me the same results as my old v3.3 prior to this version. The only thing I can find different is the journaling mod.

the nandroid data restore is great, talk about an easy restore of the setup. I'm back to v4.1 and pretty much the same as I was when I started. Just a little more experienced. Thanks.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 03-01-2011, 05:18 PM
nous défions
Pocket PC: Samsung Galaxy S III

Johnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

Quote:
Ok, I've been back and fourth with this all day. After finally restoring my last 3.3 nandroid backup and looking at it, testing the speeds, could it be possible that my previous v3.3 had the no journaling mod from Randy_T? Prior to Midnight 3.3 I had a different rom that had the journaling mod. Could that have carried over to my previous v3.3? I had just done the wipe 3x and flashed midnight 3.3.

A straight 3.3 install from a clean odin to dk28 does NOT give me the same results as my old v3.3 prior to this version. The only thing I can find different is the journaling mod.

the nandroid data restore is great, talk about an easy restore of the setup. I'm back to v4.1 and pretty much the same as I was when I started. Just a little more experienced. Thanks.
You are correct sir, version 4.0 does not have the no journalling mod. I had forgotten all about that. He is waiting on the Bonsai team to finish their EB13 ROM and is going to use it as the base for the next release, and that will have the no journalling mod incorporated.
Old 03-01-2011, 05:59 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: Samsung Epic 4G

BigBlondeAndBlueMale is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by l2yangop View Post
I have a strange issue that i haven't seen addressed. When I put in a calendar event, and hit save. it never appears on my calendar. It's as if i never entered it, but all my other events are in there and synching just fine. anyone else see this?
I noticed that the OTA EB13 Froyo update changed the calendar function. Once updated, the last calendar on which you created an appointment remains as your default, until you create an appt. on a different calendar. For those of us who only use one calendar, it is a very minor change that made a big difference.
Old 03-01-2011, 10:00 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro2

abednego is keeping up the good workabednego is keeping up the good work

Good evening!

I was thinking of upgrading my device from HTC Touch Pro2 -> Samsung Epic... and had a few questions.

(If it's been covered before, just post a link to a guide/faq/etc... I couldn't find one)

1) What are "quadrant" (?) scores? What is their significance?

2) Is there anything that does not work on this ROM?

3) What version of Android is this? Is TouchWiz included?

[edit:

Looks like this is FroYo. Why not gingerbread? Not as stable? Hoping TouchWiz is not included...]

Any help would be much appreciated, thanks in advance!

Last edited by abednego; 03-01-2011 at 10:21 PM.
Old 03-01-2011, 10:18 PM
Lurker

in354 is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny.Bravo View Post
You are correct sir, version 4.0 does not have the no journalling mod. I had forgotten all about that. He is waiting on the Bonsai team to finish their EB13 ROM and is going to use it as the base for the next release, and that will have the no journalling mod incorporated.

Great, sorry I wasted so much bandwidth. I did get a few instabilities fixed through all of this. battery life is now beyond great.

thanks.
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Android > Android Samsung Devices > Samsung Galaxy Series > CDMA-Specific > Sprint Epic 4G > Sprint Epic 4G Development