PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Site Information > Smartphone News

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-04-2011, 04:18 PM
Account Disabled
Pocket PC: HTC Shooter/Schubert 32GB
Carrier: T-Mobile
Threadstarter

Dr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Sprint pays $20 Billion to Apple, Exclusive iPhone 5?

Ahh, the iPhone 4S...same screen size...hmmm...
Old 10-04-2011, 04:51 PM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: ip6
Carrier: tmobile

Riley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.8820 View Post
Ahh, the iPhone 4S...same screen size...hmmm...
I know. that's a disappointment for many current and potential customers. They can spin it but it does make a big difference. Plus if you buy this on Verizon or Sprint, wouldn't it be obvious that the data will be much slower than on the ATT version? Verizon/Sprint is a 3g cdma device and ATT is hspa+ up to 14mbps. Clearly the ATT one is better for data purposes. Maybe not so much for calling though. I also wonder what this is going to do to Sprints network once a few million new Iphone users jump on the network. I guess we will hear more from Hesse this week on Network Vision but I'm betting the network is going to take a hit.
Old 10-04-2011, 05:04 PM
acs tester
Pocket PC: diamond/tp1/tp2/MoFo/touch 4g
Carrier: ppcgeeks/sprint

darren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via MSN to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via Yahoo to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via Skype™ to darren.wlsn1

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/general-ip...iphone-4s.html
Old 10-04-2011, 10:24 PM
Banned User
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro2(Retired)/HTC Arrive(Sold)/HTC HD7
Carrier: T-Mobile

eric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIP
Mentioned: 54 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley View Post
I know. that's a disappointment for many current and potential customers. They can spin it but it does make a big difference. Plus if you buy this on Verizon or Sprint, wouldn't it be obvious that the data will be much slower than on the ATT version? Verizon/Sprint is a 3g cdma device and ATT is hspa+ up to 14mbps. Clearly the ATT one is better for data purposes. Maybe not so much for calling though. I also wonder what this is going to do to Sprints network once a few million new Iphone users jump on the network. I guess we will hear more from Hesse this week on Network Vision but I'm betting the network is going to take a hit.
@Riley the network is already taking a hit in my town as well as a couple other towns to the west of Chicago (just noticed this today). it may even be worse in those towns because I found myself unable to stream a song with a full signal.
Old 10-04-2011, 10:36 PM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: ip6
Carrier: tmobile

Riley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric12341 View Post
@Riley the network is already taking a hit in my town as well as a couple other towns to the west of Chicago (just noticed this today). it may even be worse in those towns because I found myself unable to stream a song with a full signal.
Yeah, well it looks like its time to shop for a new carrier. I wouldn't put up with it if I was you.

I'm gone as well probably in another couple weeks, unless something interesting is announced.
Old 10-04-2011, 10:45 PM
"The Fuzzy One"
Pocket PC: PPC6800 & Touch Pro 2 & Epic 4G
Carrier: Sprint

gTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

iPhone 4s my guess is to try to make iphone available across all price ranges to try to compete against android in the lower brackets...ocfourse this can backfire and take away the "premium" feel everyone like to talk about.

That said this isn't looking good for Sprint...I don't know where they wil lget the money to pay for THIS and building out their network..

http://quickrewards.net/?r=!F94VXV35D5MV2

(My shameless referral link)
This post has been thanked 2 times.
Old 10-05-2011, 01:52 PM
VIP MVP
Pocket PC: TP Dos/OG Epic/Touch

masetas knows their stuffmasetas knows their stuffmasetas knows their stuffmasetas knows their stuffmasetas knows their stuffmasetas knows their stuffmasetas knows their stuff
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)

20 billion for exclusive of the iphone 5 i wouldnt have paid 100 million for the exclusiveness for iphone 10 .(ANDROID ALL THE WAY..LOL) They should get out of that deal and work on building their network. Many Sprint reps talk so much about the Network Vision and how great its going to be they should first rolled that out and then worry about ruining their company
Old 10-05-2011, 03:21 PM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: Samsung Galaxy S ll, Epic 4G Touch

tsowen can't get a higher reputation leveltsowen can't get a higher reputation leveltsowen can't get a higher reputation leveltsowen can't get a higher reputation leveltsowen can't get a higher reputation leveltsowen can't get a higher reputation leveltsowen can't get a higher reputation leveltsowen can't get a higher reputation leveltsowen can't get a higher reputation leveltsowen can't get a higher reputation leveltsowen can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Send a message via ICQ to tsowen Send a message via MSN to tsowen Send a message via Skype™ to tsowen

Quote:
Originally Posted by gTen View Post
iPhone 4s my guess is to try to make iphone available across all price ranges to try to compete against android in the lower brackets...ocfourse this can backfire and take away the "premium" feel everyone like to talk about.

That said this isn't looking good for Sprint...I don't know where they wil lget the money to pay for THIS and building out their network..
With the Samsung Galaxy II and other similar phones being released with Android to me this is Apple shooting themeselves in the foot. This phone was not a big game changer for the iPhone community. Many had hoped for the release of the iPhone 5 with a new design and an OS built from the ground up. IDK though, I really can't see many Android users jumping ship in the Sprint community from Android to iPhone. If you were already on AT&T and owned an iPhone 4 why would one switch to an iPhone 4S? This move doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me other than adding a new carrier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by masetas View Post
20 billion for exclusive of the iphone 5 i wouldnt have paid 100 million for the exclusiveness for iphone 10 .(ANDROID ALL THE WAY..LOL) They should get out of that deal and work on building their network. Many Sprint reps talk so much about the Network Vision and how great its going to be they should first rolled that out and then worry about ruining their company
This was quoted from an aritcle on the BGR site, I doubt there is any truth to that article at all.
Old 10-05-2011, 05:31 PM
"The Fuzzy One"
Pocket PC: PPC6800 & Touch Pro 2 & Epic 4G

gTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsowen View Post
With the Samsung Galaxy II and other similar phones being released with Android to me this is Apple shooting themeselves in the foot. This phone was not a big game changer for the iPhone community. Many had hoped for the release of the iPhone 5 with a new design and an OS built from the ground up. IDK though, I really can't see many Android users jumping ship in the Sprint community from Android to iPhone. If you were already on AT&T and owned an iPhone 4 why would one switch to an iPhone 4S? This move doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me other than adding a new carrier.
There is a reason why steve jobs left, cause he knew Apple has reached its peak. My guess is the reason for the delay for the iphone 4s is due to trying to cut samsung out of the supply chain (as much as possible) which lead to issues.

I don't think people were asking for an OS from the ground up, but iphone 4s failed in some aspects.

1) people expected option for bigger screen sizes (my guess is apple hesitated because they did not want to loose retina status)

2) people wanted a new design.

3) 4G

As far as adding dual cores, most average user don't care..I mean everyone likes to talk about how smooth iOS is..well will dual core make it more smooth? probably not...so only gamers would care here..

so at end of the day, to the average consumer this reads as better camera and world phone for cdma people...

Every new release Apple likes to come up with some sort of hype like retina and call it "magical"..this time it had nothing to offer really..don't get me wrong iphone 4s is pretty good as far as specs go..but it just doesn't feel like it..

Quote:
This was quoted from an aritcle on the BGR site, I doubt there is any truth to that article at all.
Well the 20 billion is most likely real as it was sourced from WSJ...as for exclusives, doubt it.
Old 10-05-2011, 05:46 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Axim x51v and TouchPro 2 now Arrive

JohnMcD348 is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)

Don't worry, they'll announce the iPhone 5 a few weeks after they sell a ton of 4S's. Maybe it'll even be available by Christmas.

PPCGeeks > Site Information > Smartphone News