PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   Site News & Announcements (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Expanding PPCGeeks' Horizons (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=71741)

Machinehead 06-16-2009 08:12 AM

Re: Expanding PPCGeeks' Horizons

As long as people put their posts in the correct forum, no one is going to know the difference with the new sub-forum additions.

sanmanc 06-16-2009 08:52 AM

I was surprised to see a forum for the Pre and I was thinking I was going to have to rely on another board to lean on. I have an open mind about technology and I welcom the additional platforms. But with the addition I don't think it is fair to call this board ppcgeeks anymore since we will now be seeing non-Microsoft OS's.

mindfrost82 06-16-2009 09:18 AM

We will always be a WinMo site, you guys don't ever have to worry about that.

I know change is hard sometimes, but we're just trying it out. We're not really openly advertising it. I know search engines will find it, but other than that, there's no advertisement for it (other than this announcement).

We won't be putting those devices in the header either. Although there is discussion about putting the Pre up there.

We will always be a WinMo community first and foremost.

Some of us own some of the other devices (I don't BTW, strictly WinMo here), so this way they can share info about them and help other people that might find their way here.

Zyphlin 06-16-2009 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Journeyjeans (Post 976852)
Ha Ha! I remember back in the day when WinMo fanboys would go at it with PalmOS guys over at palminfocenter and brighthand..., LOL Now the shoes (not quite yet) on the other foot "No iPhone!!!!" LMAO

I think this is a great change, as I own two phones with different OS's.

That's exactly what I was thinking, though more PDABuzz and Brighthand. Ahh, the POS vs WinCE/PPC wars...such fond great memories. Still can't believe after a decade I'm now on the Palm side.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Whosdaman (Post 977352)
Let the Palm people make their OWN website, Just like how we got PPC CMDA, and XDA got PPC GSM (but now it's sorta changed), Blackberry has Crackberry...

Why can't someone that has a Palm or like Palm get some balls and make their own site for themselves....ugh, this is not a good sign

Um, the Pre does have its own sites, in the same family of sites as Crackberry. That said, I don't see it as some grave sin if the people using this site would like to try to generate extra traffic, and possibly cater to members that are switching to a new phone, by having a single forum dedicated to that.

For those complaining about the iPhone you could just latch onto a line that's popular at the big Pre board...

Real Smartphones Multi-Task

:)

Major_Nate 06-16-2009 10:13 AM

I must say, it does make it interesting. PPC Geeks has primarily been a Windows Mobile forum, however, I also noticed that the "Other Operating Systems" portion is located in the "Off Topic" part of the boards. I would have probably been pretty unhappy if a majority of them were just clumped in with Windows Mobile Pro Devices, however, since these are in the "Off-Topic" part of the boards, I don't see how this could hurt. The way I see this, is that it's more of a way of saying, "We're about Pocket PC's, and WinMo. But we don't mind allowing other things in, as long as they are posted in the appropriate section."

I have my Touch Pro, and I love it to death. I also have an iPod Touch, which I got mainly for my music, and found you could do so much more with it. But still, it isn't even close to anything that is WinMo.

Negrito 06-16-2009 10:45 AM

I just have two things to say...

First, I cant believe how ignorant some of you are. "Oh-em-gee! an iPhone/Pre/G1 forum on ppcgeeks?" Yeah, get over it. It's still a smartphone regardless of what anyone thinks. It's funny how many swear by WInMo, but honestly how many have tried the Android port on your device? Exactly, hipocracy...

Second, This is 2009 either you adapt and change with the times or you follow in the steps of Circuit City, and Gm... Granted were are not a businees trying to make money, but i still feel this fits quite well.

Honestly i thought the people on this forum were better than this, but the some of the replies in this thread prove it to be otherwise. Sad, this was my favorite of the three forums i regularly visit, and contribute to.

nxtech3 06-16-2009 11:13 AM

Most if not all of us will be WM for life, but like posted before some of us, including me, carry multiple devices. I like the fact that i can now get the support i get here for WM on some other devices. The people here are alot more knowledgeable and friendly than most other sites. I carry a Diamond, Palm Pre, and Nextel Stature i9 (radiation rocks!!!) so im glad that this site is expanding. Obviously this site is 95% WM so i doubt that anybody would have any major issues, if you do, then obviously you arent as helpful as some other people.:(

Negrito 06-16-2009 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nxtech3 (Post 978106)
Obviously this site is 95% WM so i doubt that anybody would have any major issues, if you do, then obviously you arent as helpful as some other people.:(

I concur!

Plus just like its been stated before... Dont like the iPhoneOS/WebOS/Android? Dont go to that forum. Crazy just how simple that is...

Biggzz 06-16-2009 11:33 AM

Not a fan of the move. The reason i am here is because other forums have very rude people that are unwilling to help and quick to flame. In my mind this is a "community" and those wanting to find like minded people can join. I am not against any other phone or operating system just this move to waterdown a great community.

I personally like to go through every thread posted here because they all apply to me and my Winmo but now it will be cluttered. Thanks for letting me post.

caleb02 06-16-2009 11:54 AM

i think by having other devices we might be able to learn things from each other. Who knows we might to able to even port windows mobile to the pre and the pre to windows mobile devices such as the diamond ot diamond 2.... I like features of both, i would like to learn about the new os to just give me some more knowledge of it and who knows we might enjoy it to some degree... i do still love ms mobile but it does have some issues that we are all aware of, no gesture support like the iphone has. code base is so 2003 or so.... i would like to see what ms could do in mobiles if they started with a true 100% new os from the ground up? who would you guys design a brand new os from the ground up?