PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Site Information > Site News & Announcements
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-10-2009, 09:59 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint (SERO)

qbunnie is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Tips for Searching

Fantastic post. I'm really glad you asked people to be courteous when responding to repeat threads. I swear some people do it just to up their post count. Others are just jerks. If a post annoys you, why do you want to invest the time into replying just to tell OP to SEARCH? Just ignore it. Better yet, be polite, and at the very least link them to this thread. Best, link them to this thread AND link to the redundant information.
Berating new members (or even older ones) about double posts creates an elitist mentality that is going to slow down the spread of information even more than redundant threads themselves.
Old 06-11-2009, 08:56 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: htc Touch Pro
Carrier: sprint

jloperkins is a n00b
Smile Re: Tips for Searching

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hafrust View Post
As most of you are aware, it's not uncommon to have duplicates posts pop up around the forums. A lot of the time it's because people simply do not attempt to search first. Other times they might search and not find what they are looking for. Let's face it, this site has tons of information to digest, and it can be quite overwhelming for someone new to Windows Mobile and/or online forums. It's easy for those that have a good grasp on the site to forget how it was when we were new. Patience can be lost when seeing new threads being posted about the same things over and over. At the suggestion of gorillaguzzler here (please give him props as this was his idea), I thought I'd put this together. I know it's pretty basic info, but hopefully it will help someone out.

Before I get started I would like to ask this of ALL members: Please try and remain respectful and courteous to other members who post redundant threads. It does not take long to stop and politely point them in the right direction. Either post the information they are looking for, or direct them to an existing thread on the same topic. I hear a lot of people say they are intimidated to post new threads because they think they'll get ridiculed for not searching good enough. If you try the following recommendations for searching and still cannot find what you are looking for, then you have no need to justify creating a new thread.

Now, for the tips. When you click on the "Search" tab at the top of the screen you will see the following drop-down:
=D>

You have a few options here, Simple Search, Advanced Search, and Google Search. If you are having difficulty finding information with one of the search methods, please try the other two as well before posting a new thread.

1. Simple Search
This one is pretty straightforward. Just type in what you want to search for and then click "Go". For what it's worth, I never use this. I have much more success using the other search features.
  • If you decide to use this method, you may come across the following scenario. Say you want to search for something for the Touch HD. If you type that in, you'll get an error message indicating that you have not entered the required number of characters. To avoid this, you can use the * symbol as a wild card to complete the minimum character requirements. (Example: Touch HD*)
2. Advanced Search
This is a little better than doing a simple search because you have more options. In addition to searching by keyword, you have the option to search other criteria such as posts made by specific members, date ranges, limiting the search to specific forums, etc. It's pretty self-explanatory once you go in and try it out. Here is a screenshot of what the Advanced Search screen looks like:

3. Google Search
This is my search of choice. I've found that I find much more relevant information using this than the basic simple search, and it's equally straightforward. Here are some tips that I use for searching with Google:
  • Explicit Search: Let's say you are looking for information on Sprite Backup Errors. Instead of just typing Sprite Backup Errors in the Google search box, you will more than likely be better off searching explicitly for the phrase. To do this, just enclose the search phrase within double quotation marks. (Example: "Sprite Backup Errors")
  • Exclude Words: Let's say you want to look for information on TF3D but want to exclude any results containing the term Diamond. To do this, use the "-" character in front of the word you want to exclude. (Example: TF3d -Diamond)
  • Similar Words and Synonyms: Let's say you want to include a word in your search but want to include results that contain similar words or synonyms. To do this, use the "~" character in front of the word. (Example: ~modify)
  • This OR That: By default, when you search, Google will include all the terms specified. If you are looking for any one of one or more terms to match, then you can use the "OR" operator. Please note that the "OR" must be capitalized. (Example: tf3d OR manila)
There are many other tips and tricks to searching, but these are the ones I find the most useful here on the site. If you have anything else that I missed or you want added to the list, post it and I'll keep this updated. Let's please try and keep this thread clean, positive, and on-topic. Any off-topic and/or negative threads will be deleted.
OK I will try this one
Old 07-07-2009, 11:39 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC FUZE

mentme33 is a n00b

Thanks
Old 09-09-2009, 07:17 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2
Carrier: VZW

orcat is keeping up the good workorcat is keeping up the good work

I use this to specify a particular forum in the Google search bar. For me its the Touch Pro. If we go to that form and look at the url, it is:

http://www.ppcgeeks.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=63

Well Google has a neat little feature for searching called inurl

To specify searchine for alternatives to manila in that forum, I enter in the Google search bar:

manila alternatives inurl:f=63

And voila...only search results from that forum is displayed. The "inurl" command will instruct the google search engine to restrict the results to documents containing that word in the URL

Lets say that I wanter to search multiple forums such as "HTC Touch Pro" and "Pocket PC Software". Well, we already know that the forum id for the HTC TP is 63 and going to the Pocket PC forum, we see in the address that the forum id is 23....so I would enter this:

manila alternatives inurl:f=63 OR inurl:f=23

Repeat and expand as necessary. It is not the best solution but it narrows the searches down to what you want.

Hope that helps some of you.

Cheers
John
This post has been thanked 3 times.
Old 10-12-2009, 12:11 AM
Chillin' with my Geeks!
Pocket PC: Epic 4G & Iphone is my toy :)
Carrier: Sprint/PPCGeeks

GirlGoneGeek should be added to the payroll for their contributionsGirlGoneGeek should be added to the payroll for their contributionsGirlGoneGeek should be added to the payroll for their contributionsGirlGoneGeek should be added to the payroll for their contributionsGirlGoneGeek should be added to the payroll for their contributionsGirlGoneGeek should be added to the payroll for their contributionsGirlGoneGeek should be added to the payroll for their contributionsGirlGoneGeek should be added to the payroll for their contributionsGirlGoneGeek should be added to the payroll for their contributionsGirlGoneGeek should be added to the payroll for their contributionsGirlGoneGeek should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

I've decided I like this post so much I am going to add it to most introduction welcome messages I send. Thanks!!!

If you wanna make the world a better place take a look at yourself and then make a change ~Michael Jackson
Old 12-21-2009, 07:37 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Verizon

Philnick is a n00b
When I get a bunch of hits, how can I see them in full and in context?

I have a beef with most forum search engines, including this one. I don't blame you, since I have the same problem with other forums I belong to.

OK, here's the beef: I do a search, and it returns a bunch of promising-looking excerpts from posts.

But there's no way to go to them to see them in full, since the only link in any of them is to the name of the thread, which takes me to the first page of the thread the post is in!

What am I missing?
Old 12-21-2009, 07:46 PM
Chillin' with my Geeks!
Pocket PC: Epic 4G & Iphone is my toy :)
Carrier: Sprint/PPCGeeks

GirlGoneGeek should be added to the payroll for their contributionsGirlGoneGeek should be added to the payroll for their contributionsGirlGoneGeek should be added to the payroll for their contributionsGirlGoneGeek should be added to the payroll for their contributionsGirlGoneGeek should be added to the payroll for their contributionsGirlGoneGeek should be added to the payroll for their contributionsGirlGoneGeek should be added to the payroll for their contributionsGirlGoneGeek should be added to the payroll for their contributionsGirlGoneGeek should be added to the payroll for their contributionsGirlGoneGeek should be added to the payroll for their contributionsGirlGoneGeek should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

once you are taken to the page, look at the top right corner and you will see the pages, click on last one......

is that what you're missing?
Old 12-22-2009, 11:09 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Verizon

Philnick is a n00b
Cool "These aren't the droids you're looking for. Move along."

Going to the last page of the thread is no more useful than going to the first page of the thread, if what you're looking for is buried somewhere in the middle!

However, poking around some more, I found a solution that's totally counter-intuitive: Click on the link labeled "Re:"

The "Re:" label says that it's a link to the post being responded to by the post found by the search, not to the post the search found.

However, it in fact does take you to the post found by the search.

Perhaps Obi Wan Kenobi is at work here:

"This isn't the post you're looking for."

Except that it is!
Old 03-22-2012, 02:23 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: asdfg
Carrier: dfhgtgjh

jhrfrwery is a n00b

Often, you want to search a specific website for content that matches a certain phrase. Even if the site doesn’t support a built-in search feature, you can use Google to search the site for your term. Simply use the "site:somesite.com" modifier.

PPCGeeks > Site Information > Site News & Announcements