PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > General Windows Mobile Discussions > Legacy WM Devices > Samsung Saga
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-16-2008, 07:25 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Moto q9m and Samsung Saga
Carrier: VZW

jacy is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Hack LED on Samsung i770/Saga

This phone was just released on Friday by VZW and I downloaded the manual to check it out first. There's a near-dealbreaker in that there's no message/call indicator LED. I rely on the LED on my Apache quite a bit as I'm hard of hearing. This phone does have a LED but it's for connection status.

I've searched and found that HTC phones have had their LEDs hacked, but on a phone with two LEDs, one for connection, one for calls.

Anybody know if hacking the Samsung i770's LED to become a call indicator rather than connection status is even remotely possible?

Thanks,
~jacy
Old 11-16-2008, 07:32 PM
Retired Moderator
Pocket PC: NULL
Carrier: NULL

[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level
Re: Hack LED on Samsung i770/Saga

No doubt it's possible.

The only issue is you probably will have trouble finding someone willing to spend the time to write an intermediate driver for it.

I have no idea how similar the Samsung and HTC LED drivers are, but you could [AT YOUR OWN RISK] try installing nueLED and cycle through the different addresses. You just may be able to have it work. Absolutely no guarantees, though.

Again, since this is not an HTC device, be careful... back up all of your data if you want to be safe

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread...ghlight=nueled
Old 11-16-2008, 08:23 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

jacy is a n00b

Thanks, that's about what I'd thought.

I read back through that thread and found a poster who had tried nueLED on his Samsung i760 and found it unsuccessful, and was informed it only works on HTCs at the moment. I'm betting it would likewise be futile to try on the i770.

Also saw mention of an app called phoneAlarm. Took a look at that and while there are options to control the LED for certain notifications, I'm thinking it probably would not give me what I'm looking for. Have it bookmarked for future reference, though.

Think I'll wait for these to hit end users and see if the status LED indicates more than just wi-fi and Bluetooth. Sometimes those manuals are pretty cryptic.

~jacy
Old 11-22-2008, 08:04 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: Samsung Saga i770

michaelk is a n00b

i have the i770
led seems limited.

i have phoneweaver and it has options to set the led for certain notifications- i set it and doest seem to be working.

sorry

if i get a minute i'll see what i can figure with the nue led thingie...
Old 11-26-2008, 12:06 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Samsung i770

briandhinton is a n00b

ummm.... there is a default setting in the phone to set an LED notification for messages. Actually ALL events have an option to turn the light (LED) on except receiving a call... but why would you want an LED light when the whole SCREEN lights up when a call comes in.
Old 11-26-2008, 12:11 PM
Coz-erator
Pocket PC: Sprint Galaxy Note 2 & other misc digital devices
Carrier: Sprint

CozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to CozBoogie Send a message via Yahoo to CozBoogie

Moved to Saga Forum.

late,
Coz
Old 02-15-2009, 12:44 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

jacy is a n00b

Well, got my Saga on Friday to test and yes, the LED flashes a purple alert for missed calls, new texts, etc. -- whatever I've got it set for in Sounds & Notifications. The trouble is, once the phone powers down, that LED goes away. In my case, that's about 2 minutes.

I'm moving from an Apache running WM6.1 and that phone's LED continued to blink amber (as opposed to green) for alerts, even after it powered down.

I must say, I'd expected the Saga to be a little snappier over the 6700, and I'm not finding that to be the case. On the other hand, I was running a very lean-and-mean ROM on the 6700.

I'm quite hard of hearing and rely on visual alerts, so if I can't around this LED-off-when-power-save-on issue, I think the Saga will have to go back. I really like the form factor, though.
Old 02-18-2009, 04:39 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

jacy is a n00b

On another PDA forum I was referred to SPB Phone Suite and it is, um, sweet.

Phone Suite options include customized sound and vibrate alerts (and LED), timing intervals and a maximized volume for notifications. The volume is way over and above the default -- too loud for me, even, but probably ideal for people working in a noisy environment.

Even though there's no mention of LED alerts, it flashes the purple LED 5 times at the desired sound/vibrate notification interval (1 minute, 5 minutes, etc.,) even after the phone has powered itself down.

So while it's not perpetual intermittent blinking every few seconds, like the 6700, on the other hand, I can't accidentally clear the alert like I did occasionally on the 6700, with a screen tap.

Just thought I'd pass it along.

On another note, I really like the Saga and am sad to see VZW is not pushing it at all. It's a slick little device for the price and I hope enough people buy it that there will be eventually be interest in a WM7 ROM.

~Jacy

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > General Windows Mobile Discussions > Legacy WM Devices > Samsung Saga