PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM Other Manufacturers > Samsung Omnia
Register Community Search

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-16-2009, 03:29 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Samsung Omnia i910
Carrier: Verizon

arizonaomnia is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to arizonaomnia
Bing! Why, Bing?

I see people talking here and there about using Bing for GPS-enabled mapping. One person mentions that it beeps at the turns. Another talks about the Locate Me feature.

WHY WON'T MY BING WORK?

LOL...

I generally prefer Google applications to MS ones, and I do use Google Maps. However, the potential functionality of Bing really makes me want to use it. However....when I try to use the Bing GPS, I get an error message nearly immediately about the Locate Me feature. When I try to click elsewhere to Change Location and then use Use GPS Location, when it works it places me in the middle of the ocean.

I have Google Maps GPS working with the setting for Windows to manage it, and it works.

I have GPS Weather Radar set to COM8, 576000 baud, and it works.

GPSViewer just works.

Bing GPS won't work whether I set it to COM8 or intermediate drivers.

What I am doing wrong?

And if it's NOT me...if it's Bing....WHY, Bing, WHY? It's a Microsoft product running on Windows Mobile. (6.5 23409, if it matters).

Please....share your wisdom.....
Old 09-16-2009, 04:35 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC Pure (TD2, Topaz)
Carrier: AT&T

greenskeeper805 knows their stuffgreenskeeper805 knows their stuffgreenskeeper805 knows their stuffgreenskeeper805 knows their stuffgreenskeeper805 knows their stuffgreenskeeper805 knows their stuffgreenskeeper805 knows their stuff
Re: Bing! Why, Bing?

Well, the locate me feature worked once for me, although google maps was running in the background. I havent' been able to do it since then.
I'm the one that said that it will beep for turn by turn, it works. I haven't messed with GPS for a while but i did try Bing again the other day and couldn't get a lock. It may be the new bing, I know for sure that it worked before when it was live search, too bad i overwrote the file. I wonder if anyone has an older live search cab they would like to share to see if it locks better.

Don't forget to click THANKS for those who have helped!
Old 09-16-2009, 04:50 PM
VIP Member

greenskeeper805 knows their stuffgreenskeeper805 knows their stuffgreenskeeper805 knows their stuffgreenskeeper805 knows their stuffgreenskeeper805 knows their stuffgreenskeeper805 knows their stuffgreenskeeper805 knows their stuff

Ok, just tried the new Bing and got a lock, pretty quickly actually. I know what you're doing wrong. The locate me feature doesn't work. It's for cell phone triangulation, it works with google maps, but for some reason Bing can't do it. You need to make sure that it's on com 8 buad 57600. Then from the main Bing screen select Map. Once the map loads, hit menu and then 'Track me Using GPS'. Then wait a little bit and it should lock. I'd lock with google first and then try bing.
Old 09-16-2009, 05:27 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Samsung Omnia i910
Carrier: Verizon
Threadstarter

arizonaomnia is becoming a great contributor
Send a message via Skype™ to arizonaomnia

Bing doesn't give me an option for baud, only for COM8.

I did ensure a lock prior to using it, but Windows Intermediate Drivers (which I selected since it aligned with my "Allow Windows to manage GPS" option I have selected in Google Maps) sent me to the middle of the ocean. I'll try COM 8.
Old 09-16-2009, 05:33 PM
VIP Member

That's right, Bing doesn't use the buad setting, just use com 8.

Yeah, if it's not on com 8 it will put you in the ocean. You can use sytem managed with google, but Bing needs com 8. I've had Bing find me with intermediate drivers, but it will go to the ocean first and then (while moving/driving) find me. Hope it works for you.

Last edited by greenskeeper805; 09-16-2009 at 05:35 PM. Reason: Grammer
Old 09-16-2009, 06:29 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: samsung omnia
Carrier: vzw

loosfinest is just getting started

i dont like bing at all. it looks like a wm 2003 style app. im waiting for an interface upgrade
Old 09-16-2009, 06:45 PM
VIP Member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 8.12; MSIEMobile 6.0) VZW:SCH-i910 PPC 240x400)

very true
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM Other Manufacturers > Samsung Omnia